Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default IPhone 5 Exclusive on Sprint?

    @BGR: Sprint guarantees to buy over $20 billion in iPhones from Apple, launching the iPhone 5. http://t.co/CP3DMjfr


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    Netherscourge's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default

    Can the Sprint network possibly handle an exclusive iPhone 5 subscriber base?
  3. #3  
    liquidzoo's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.3.3

    Default

    Launching with Sprint support: 80/20 yes

    Sprint Exclusive: 100% no.

    As much as one of my friends would like to argue this point, there is no way it will be Sprint exclusive.
    avmsam likes this.
  4. #4  
    mobile79's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

    Default

    Exclusive to Sprint? Boy would this **** a lot of people off.
  5. #5  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    Does anyone here really think that Apple would enrage their loyal users on AT&T and Verizon to give Sprint this deal?

    If you do, send me some of what you're drinking and/or smoking because I want to live in a fantasy world too
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  6. #6  
    DreamOutLoud65's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    233 Posts

    Default

    whoa! This seems a little unbelievable.. BGR is really grasping here.. me thinks..
  7. #7  
    DrewBear's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    305 Posts

    Default

    30 million iPhones over 4 years. WSJ is usually a very strong source. This would certainly explain Sprint’s October 7th event.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    @allthingsd: Sprint to "Bet the Company" on iPhone http://t.co/3qg0dqQP

    More info: Sprint would be in the red through 2014. Wonder who would buy Sprint then? Fire auction sale!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. #9  
    Netherscourge's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default

    Is this Apple's attempt to bully AT&T and Verizon back into offering unlimited data plans?

    Because if it is, I LIKE IT.
    zak likes this.
  10. #10  
    pilsbury's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    LOL@kch. No way AT&T is not going to get the i5. Sprint couldnt handle an exclusive, and ATT and Apple have a VERY lucrative partnership (for both parties) going.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Might also explain why Apple Stores have been installing 4G equipment.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. #12  
    Jellotime91's Avatar
    iPhone Elite

    Posts
    2,484 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Is this Apple's attempt to bully AT&T and Verizon back into offering unlimited data plans?

    Because if it is, I LIKE IT.
    That would actually make sense. But there's absolutely no way Apple is giving Sprint the iPhone 5 and no one else.

    I can see Apple and Sprint having some serious marketing together though, if Sprint does indeed keep unlimited data for the iPhone.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
  13. #13  
    liquidzoo's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    4.3.3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhonejunkie3 View Post
    Might also explain why Apple Stores have been installing 4G equipment.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple already has a deal with Verizon, who is running a 4G (well, 3.5G officially) LTE network. AT&T also has a LTE network up, though it's very small right now.

    Sprint's LTE network is still in testing last I heard, and only their WiMAX network was up (though incredibly spotty in a lot of places I've heard).

    The rest of the world is going with LTE (the big carriers anyway), though it has been reported from Apple (a year-ish ago, can't find the link atm) that the first 4G iPhone will be the iPhone 6 (at the earliest). Very little chance of a 4G iPhone this time around, and a much less chance of it being WiMAX when no other large carrier in the world could use the technology.

    Seriously, don't get your hopes up for a Sprint exclusive iPhone 5. Sprint's network, as robust as they make it sound, would be crippled.
  14. #14  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    I can't see them changing it just for Sprint. Look how they kept the same one when verizon got it. I can't see them staggering a release on the nations two largest carriers. They would be losing out on a ton of customers.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    We're not just talking US customers, but the world!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    DrewBear's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    305 Posts

    Default

    Let's not confuse the two main stories that just broke.

    WSJ is reporting a NON-EXCLUSIVE agreement for Sprint to buy $20 billion worth of iPhones over 4 yrs. Nothing about 4G/WiMAX. This is a credible story.

    BGR is reporting an exclusive agreement for Sprint to get the 4G iPhone 5 months before it is released to AT&T and Verizon as a LTE phone. This is total BS.
  17. #17  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,906 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,908 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    I heard the iPhone 5 was coming exclusively to Metro PCS...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  18. #18  
    Netherscourge's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default

    Why would Sprint just go buy $20 billion worth of iPhone 5s if they weren't getting some sort of trade-off?

    Not only are they paying $20B up front, they'd have to eat some of the iPhone 5's actual per-unit cost just to get people to buy it and sign up on their network.

    That's a pretty huge gamble if they aren't getting something from Apple to make it worth it.
    ChaosShadow likes this.
  19. #19  
    DannyMichel's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Is this Apple's attempt to bully AT&T and Verizon back into offering unlimited data plans?

    Because if it is, I LIKE IT.
    Haha, hell yeah, that would be awesome


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBear View Post
    Let's not confuse the two main stories that just broke.

    WSJ is reporting a NON-EXCLUSIVE agreement for Sprint to buy $20 billion worth of iPhones over 4 yrs. Nothing about 4G/WiMAX. This is a credible story.

    BGR is reporting an exclusive agreement for Sprint to get the 4G iPhone 5 months before it is released to AT&T and Verizon as a LTE phone. This is total BS.
    Absolutely true on both parts. The bit about 4G/WiMax is entirely from BG's speculation. I wouldn't call it BS. It is insightful into the possible goings on of Sprint. Credible, maybe not. Only one way to validate that - tomorrow!

    "I have been going back and forth for weeks with one of my incredibly solid industry contacts on a piece of information that I couldn’t really process at first — information that is so unbelievable, even from a source this solid, that I couldn’t report it. With this new WSJ report on an Apple/Sprint deal, however, it doesn’t look so crazy. Hit the break for more.

    I have been told that Sprint will be getting the iPhone 5 — yes the real iPhone 5, not the iPhone 4S — as an exclusive. And it will be a 4G WiMAX device. AT&T and Verizon would launch the iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5 some time in the first quarter of next year as an LTE device. Globally, the iPhone 5 might be available as a 4G HSPA+ device."
  21. #21  
    Netherscourge's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default

    My only question is this - $20 billion is NOTHING to AT&T and Verizon. Why didn't they jump into the ring and compete for exclusivity?


    Unless, as I mentioned above, Apple was trying to send a message to AT&T and Verizon about ditching their unlimited plans...

    Hmmmm.....
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    Neutrino's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    My only question is this - $20 billion is NOTHING to AT&T and Verizon. Why didn't they jump into the ring and compete for exclusivity?


    Unless, as I mentioned above, Apple was trying to send a message to AT&T and Verizon about ditching their unlimited plans...

    Hmmmm.....
    20 billion is a lot to AT&T and Verizon. For that price, Sprint would have been better off allowing Apple to buy a majority/controlling share of Sprint.
    Premium1 likes this.
  23. #23  
    DrewBear's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    305 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Why would Sprint just go buy $20 billion worth of iPhone 5s if they weren't getting some sort of trade-off?

    Not only are they paying $20B up front, they'd have to eat some of the iPhone 5's actual per-unit cost just to get people to buy it and sign up on their network.

    That's a pretty huge gamble if they aren't getting something from Apple to make it worth it.
    They are NOT paying $20B upfront. It is a 4 yr. contract to buy 30 million iPhones.

    All the U.S. carriers are subsidizing the iPhone. AT&T and Verizon contract customers may pay $49-299 for their phones, but the carriers pay Apple an average of $655 for each iPhone.

    This is a massive gamble. The WSJ story says that Sprint's subsidy may be $500. If that's true, maybe they're going to offer the iPhone for $149 with 2 yr. contract. Add unlimited data to that and Sprint could easily start to draw customers from the other carriers.

    Sprint is in dire straits. Maybe Sprint had to offer them something like this to get Apple to make a Sprint iPhone. Apple is in negotiations with some pretty big carriers in China & Japan. There are limits to how fast they can increase manufacturing capacity.
  24. #24  
    Netherscourge's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBear View Post
    They are NOT paying $20B upfront. It is a 4 yr. contract to buy 30 million iPhones.

    All the U.S. carriers are subsidizing the iPhone. AT&T and Verizon contract customers may pay $49-299 for their phones, but the carriers pay Apple an average of $655 for each iPhone.

    This is a massive gamble. The WSJ story says that Sprint's subsidy may be $500. If that's true, maybe they're going to offer the iPhone for $149 with 2 yr. contract. Add unlimited data to that and Sprint could easily start to draw customers from the other carriers.

    Sprint is in dire straits. Maybe Sprint had to offer them something like this to get Apple to make a Sprint iPhone. Apple is in negotiations with some pretty big carriers in China & Japan. There are limits to how fast they can increase manufacturing capacity.


    Well, if it's Sprint exclusive, and they offer their Unlimited Everything plan alongside it, they're going to do well so long as the network itself doesn't explode.
  25. #25  
    DreamOutLoud65's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    233 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Well, if it's Sprint exclusive, and they offer their Unlimited Everything plan alongside it, they're going to do well so long as the network itself doesn't explode.
    this..


    hopefully it won't .. we will see what Sprint says on friday at their event.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions