iPhone 5 iPhone 4S Confusion

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to believe there will be two new phones announced tomorrow, I just find it difficult to comprehend the purpose or benefit of debuting two new phones.

A "lite" iPhone 4 seems pointless to me. Why not just drop the price of the iPhone 4 and put all your focus into the iPhone 5 as the new flagship smartphone?

/shrug

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My thing is why 2 phones? wouldnt the majority of people go for the latest and greatest meaning the iPhone 5? Would it actually be profitable enough for apple to have the 2 phones? I just foresee confusion, people buying the 4S when they wanted the newest model, iPhone 5 and possibly a lot of people returning the 4S when they discover this.

just a thought.. :shrug:

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think iPhone 4S = iPhone 5.

Apple keeps saying that the hardware isn't as important as the software. I'm thinking iOS 5 is going to pack some pretty amazing features that haven't been announced yet.

Either way, Apple will need to wow us with a new iPhone design or an INCREDIBLE software update. If they fail on both accounts, they will definitely be in trouble.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
One thing that's changed, if the leaked image from Vodaphone is to be believed (link), the iPhone 4S (and probably the 5 as well) will now come in a 64GB flavor.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the Sprint Exclusive is true, than this certainly makes TWO iPhone more possible.

Sprint - iPhone 5 Exclusive, featuring the ONLY unlimited data plan available.

Every other carrier - iPhone 4S.

I wonder - if the Sprint exclusive would be a TIMED exclusive or a multi-year deal, ala Apple & AT&T prior to Verizon jumping in later on...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I guess we'll all find out tomorrow but iPhone 4s just doesn't make sense. There was iPhone(gen 1), iPhone 3G(gen 2), iPhone 3Gs(gen 3) it would have been stupid to call it iPhone 3 when 3G had already been used. Then iPhone 4(gen 4) with iOS 4 and everything aligned. Then Verizon got an iPhone and the iOS software has been out of sort between the two. So now there will be iPhone 5(gen 5) with iOS 5 on all carriers and everything will align. It would just be so silly to have iPhone 4s then iPhone 5 which would be gen 6, iPhone 6 which would be gen 7 or god knows gen 8. I think the 4s which was mentioned in iTunes was the Verizon iPhone, maybe it was supposed to come out with a faster chip but AT&T cried foul and then it was just iPhone 4 CDMA.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, if the Sprint Exclusive is true, than this certainly makes TWO iPhone more possible.

Sprint - iPhone 5 Exclusive, featuring the ONLY unlimited data plan available.

Every other carrier - iPhone 4S.

I wonder - if the Sprint exclusive would be a TIMED exclusive or a multi-year deal, ala Apple & AT&T prior to Verizon jumping in later on...

THAT is NOT going to happen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
There's already evidence of iPhone 4S, none on iPhone 5 other than cases based on a stolen Chinese iPhone prototype.

I'd say your opinion isn't very well informed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, Apple has planted evidence and stories before to shock people. Remember when everyone was reporting that the iPad would be $999? A day later, BOOM $499...

Also, some of the '4S' evidence (inventory systems, product ID tags) has also been presented in favour of the '5'...

Aside from the iTunes '4S' leak, which could very well have been planted by Apple to throw people off, the playing field has been incredibly equal. I'd say even tilted towards the '5', because of the dozens of case leaks.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
THAT is NOT going to happen.

I agree.. if that happens I will be betrayed by apple. now with multiple carries... no one should be getting anything exclusive... it would come off as shady. (which ever carries gives apple more money... gets the iPhone 6) ... doesn't seem right.

Tomorrow we shall find out tho :D :D

Still hoping for a bigger screen.

realdealio

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I will also bet everything there would be no exclusive at this point, on any carrier, especially sprint. To put such a huge emphasis on Sprint? Not exactly the giant of all carriers. Either way I'm excited to try and fight off the hordes to preorder something I don't know much about! Hopefully tomorrow will justify this a bit

mellisnj

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I will also bet everything there would be no exclusive at this point, on any carrier, especially sprint. To put such a huge emphasis on Sprint? Not exactly the giant of all carriers. Either way I'm excited to try and fight off the hordes to preorder something I don't know much about! Hopefully tomorrow will justify this a bit

Exclusive does make a bit of sense. For years sprint users have been without thought of an iPhone. Sprint always denied they would deal with Apple and would continue to push Android. If you work on a Sprint board and pitch to Apple that you want the iPhone you would want to come in with a major campaign and a bang. Exclusiveness sounds like an excellent marketing tool for both especially if they are going to test the WiMax on it. If its quirky you gave it to Sprint and you deal with Verizon on the basis of its a first gen CDMA 4G iPhone. If it has issue it will be corrected for Verizon. Verizon is happy to get a better quality product, Sprint is happy to get an early exclusive.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to believe there will be two new phones announced tomorrow, I just find it difficult to comprehend the purpose or benefit of debuting two new phones.

I'm hoping for one new phone and one modified phone.

iPhone 5 = redesigned body, larger screen, A5, 1 GB RAM, new cameras with 16/32/64 GB storage

iPhone 4S = iPhone 4 with 8 GB storage, A5 and 1 GB RAM (so it can run Siri/Assistant)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW