Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iphone 5 - Expectations?

What new features or improvements do you expect in the upcoming iphone 5?
    Just talk and list freely.
    iPhone Intermediate

I don't see the next phone being a 5....probably a 4S with an A5 chip and perhaps a better camera. I think most of the enhancements will be in the OS.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

im looking for a 64GB iphone. Hopefully they give us the 32GB and 64GB options for the prices of the 16GB and 32GB models and do away with the 16GB.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itsalexaye View Post
    im looking for a 64GB iphone. Hopefully they give us the 32GB and 64GB options for the prices of the 16GB and 32GB models and do away with the 16GB.
    I agree, it would be nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

The outer appearance is probably going to be really similar. The new iPhone is probably going to be an iPhone 4.5 or something else, just like they did with the 3G / 3GS lines.

There is going to be a speed upgrade with the processor, but everything else will be virtually the same with minor upgrades.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

there is really nothing wrong with the iphone 4, its still much better then most of the android and blackberry smartphones out and coming out. even if they dont release anything til next summer I still think iPhone will have most of the market share.
    Twitter
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just really want a 64GB model. Thats the most important thing I care about. I hope it happens
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1 Beta 2

Hardware: lighter would be nice although i am happy as is, better camera, the a4 is good but I'll take the a5
    Software: better voice intergation, maps, notifications just like everyone else

I can also see apple doing an 8gb iPhone to get that low cost entry they have been looking for opposed to dropping the previous gen to 8gb.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    iOS Version

4 inch screen please!
    Mobile tech addict..
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts

Default iOS 5 - Expectations?

With the news coming out today of iOS 5 being announced next week, to include a revamped notification system, as well as the addition of widgets; what are everyones thoughts, expectations, etc?

I am looking forward to a new notification system, would love to have a dedicated screen for notifications or have them show on the top bar, as well as notifications on lockscreen (without jailbreaking).

Indifferent on the widgets...it all depends on how the blend into the current OS that is on the iPhone. Would hate to see the simplicity of the iPhone screen become jumbled and a mess.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,636 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I expect some to appreciate the revamped notifications/widgets (which is still rumor and not guaranteed to be announced), and some be disappointed in it because it wasn't tailored to how they want it to be done.

Then there will be some who call it a blatent rip-off of X competitor. As for me, I don't really care either way. The current system works fine for me since I keep alerts and notifications to a bare minimum. I don't ever see a need for widgets. I don't have a need to know about stock prices, sports scores, weather, or whatever else widgets may bring.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 05-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Thanked by:
    chirmer (05-31-2011)
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

I have to agree with Ghostface XD Though I am really looking forward to the notifications system as well - even if it's not what I've grown used to with my JB apps, I always prefer stock, so if it functions, I'll be super happy. I dunno what to think about widgets - I hate them on Android. Hopefully Apple takes a different approach.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what Apple has planned!
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I expect it to be stronger, faster, and more agile.
    Thanked by:
    LifewareSolutions (05-31-2011)
    iVenom likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Notifi-freakin-cations! I think Apple basically has to update this, or they could be pretty screwed. iOS 5 should also have some new eye candy, look better, and have iCloud
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iOS 5 needs to put mobile notifier as their notifications system. The way notifications are now is annoying. iCloud is needed. and some new cool features.
    Twitter
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,803 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Notifications definitely need to be revamped and if they do widgets similar to how HTC Sense does then I will be extremely pleased. I think iOS 5 should be a pretty aggressive revamp, but then again that could alienate some of the userbase.
    Thanked by:
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    I expect some to appreciate the revamped notifications/widgets (which is still rumor and not guaranteed to be announced), and some be disappointed in it because it wasn't tailored to how they want it to be done.

Then there will be some who call it a blatent rip-off of X competitor. As for me, I don't really care either way. The current system works fine for me since I keep alerts and notifications to a bare minimum. I don't ever see a need for widgets. I don't have a need to know about stock prices, sports scores, weather, or whatever else widgets may bring.
    I completely agree with this!!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

if i had to choose ONE thing it would have to be the ability to compose/reply SMS from anywhere on the device (like biteSMS)

i am a huge texter (spelling??) everything else i can eventually deal with
    Thanked by:
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i dont think Steve will ever allow widgets on his iphone. he hates them. I hate them too, they kill the crap out of my battery life, atleast when I had the evo it did.
    Twitter
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Well i guess notifications will be improved, not android like since they would have to pay google ip money...
    I would love a better multitasking though...

But What i really want to know is: what devices will be getting it? I fear the 1gen ipad will be getting axed...
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So no iPhone announcement coming next week? :/

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4S | 16 GB | Verizon
    iPod Touch 4th gen | 32 GB
    iPad 1 | 32 GB| WiFi + AT&T
    iPod Touch 2nd gen | 32 GB
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,884 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I don't think Steve hates them because Mac OS has them. I think he doesn't see the need for them and I have to agree if the notification and other things were implemented right. What I hope for in iOS 5 is very different from what I expect, simply because knowing Apple and Steve means 3/4 of what I hope for wont make it. What I would hope for is a better notification system like BiteSMS and the WP7 live tiles. This will update the lockscreen and will be unobtrusive as well as have you work alot less in the actual homescreen of the phone since you'll have info updating live on the lockscreen and access to the info apps directly from the lockscreen. I also hope for a que in the App store so that I don't have to continually go in if I'm trying to buy and do updates at the same time or buy multiple apps. The apps should also not jump to a second screen if there is plenty of room on the homescreen it just seems plain silly. I would like the ability to re-arrange the websites in the mobile browser, tap and hold they jiggle and move them around just like apps. I would also like to swipe left or right to switch among my webpages since I doubt the iPhone will ever get multi-gestures.

What I expect is a new notification system that will make JBers think a little harder about staying pure(really wish there was a puking smiley). The rumors about the dev who did Mobile Notifier abandoning his app and the fact Apple got the guy from Palm who built the notification system kind of builds hope. I would expect some things in iOS 5 that no one expects but are revolutionary to some and just meh to others.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 05-31-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

We'll definitely see revamped notifications. As far as widgets, I doubt it. There is too much potential for them to negatively impact battery life. This is something that Apple is big on with the iPhone and iPad.

I agree on some form of live-tile. For apps like weather, that would be fairly awesome, or useful, at the very least.

We'll find out on Monday, though. Might make me consider reactivating my Apple Dev membership so I can get the early builds of iOS 5.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

I expect it to be available for 3GS... well hope lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I expect it to be available for 3GS... well hope lol
    wasn't there a post either on TiPb or another site stating that it would be only for iPhone 4 +? Or was that just more speculation?

From all of the talk, I am definitely expecting the enhanced notifications, and I am also expecting it to crash less than what my phone does currently.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast