iphone 5 - Expectations?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Steve hates them because Mac OS has them. I think he doesn't see the need for them and I have to agree if the notification and other things were implemented right. What I hope for in iOS 5 is very different from what I expect, simply because knowing Apple and Steve means 3/4 of what I hope for wont make it. What I would hope for is a better notification system like BiteSMS and the WP7 live tiles. This will update the lockscreen and will be unobtrusive as well as have you work alot less in the actual homescreen of the phone since you'll have info updating live on the lockscreen and access to the info apps directly from the lockscreen. I also hope for a que in the App store so that I don't have to continually go in if I'm trying to buy and do updates at the same time or buy multiple apps. The apps should also not jump to a second screen if there is plenty of room on the homescreen it just seems plain silly. I would like the ability to re-arrange the websites in the mobile browser, tap and hold they jiggle and move them around just like apps. I would also like to swipe left or right to switch among my webpages since I doubt the iPhone will ever get multi-gestures.

What I expect is a new notification system that will make JBers think a little harder about staying pure(really wish there was a puking smiley). The rumors about the dev who did Mobile Notifier abandoning his app and the fact Apple got the guy from Palm who built the notification system kind of builds hope. I would expect some things in iOS 5 that no one expects but are revolutionary to some and just meh to others.

Last edited:

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
We'll definitely see revamped notifications. As far as widgets, I doubt it. There is too much potential for them to negatively impact battery life. This is something that Apple is big on with the iPhone and iPad.

I agree on some form of live-tile. For apps like weather, that would be fairly awesome, or useful, at the very least.

We'll find out on Monday, though. Might make me consider reactivating my Apple Dev membership so I can get the early builds of iOS 5.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I expect it to be available for 3GS... well hope lol

wasn't there a post either on TiPb or another site stating that it would be only for iPhone 4 +? Or was that just more speculation?

From all of the talk, I am definitely expecting the enhanced notifications, and I am also expecting it to crash less than what my phone does currently.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I would love if they implemented some sort of app that worked like bridging between the Playbook and Blackberries. That would be great. I don't expect that to happen though.

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
wasn't there a post either on TiPb or another site stating that it would be only for iPhone 4 +? Or was that just more speculation?

From all of the talk, I am definitely expecting the enhanced notifications, and I am also expecting it to crash less than what my phone does currently.

Yea there was a rumor about that, but then they thought maybe it wasn't true because the person had tweet'd won't work for 3Gs, so maybe it ment 3G's not 3GS.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

so are you saying your un-jailbroken iPhone crashes often? weird

Yea there was a rumor about that, but then they thought maybe it wasn't true because the person had tweet'd won't work for 3Gs, so maybe it ment 3G's not 3GS.

the 3G was ditched a while back.. right after 4.2.1, i believe

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping for a bit more user control. Apple introduced the option to have the side switch as either Mute or lock orientation........ hope we get the same kind of options for notifications ect.

thebeags

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
With all the talk about widgets in iOS 5, you have to wonder what Apples "version" or "take" on widgets will be.

I would love to see a combination of widgets (android) and the live tiles (windows phone). Having the app icons be "live" so that weather updated and the like would be nice. It will be interesting to see what comes. Knowing Apple, if they do dive into widgets, they will be simple and will definitely keep the current flow of the iOS.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
They could do something like this, instead of true widgets:

Say you have the calendar app. If you swipe on the icon, or click on it, it pulls up (similar to folders) a simple list, or widget, of your event agenda, etc. Similar thing for weather, swipe on the icon and you get a 5 day forecast.

Just an idea, but if Apple does something, it has to be both elegant and simple. It also has to be so easy it passes the "mother" test. Could you explain it to your mother and have her do it.

Just my two cents.

thebeags

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
They could do something like this, instead of true widgets:

Say you have the calendar app. If you swipe on the icon, or click on it, it pulls up (similar to folders) a simple list, or widget, of your event agenda, etc. Similar thing for weather, swipe on the icon and you get a 5 day forecast.

Just an idea, but if Apple does something, it has to be both elegant and simple. It also has to be so easy it passes the "mother" test. Could you explain it to your mother and have her do it.

Just my two cents.

That is exactly what I had in mind when I was typing my previous post r/t widgets.

anaphora68

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Great minds...

I can't wait to see what Jobs has to say on the 6th.

I'm also liking the BBM-style app rumors circulating now. If Apple could come up with a direct competitor to BBM, it would really start to drive even more enterprise use of the device, and just be cool as you-know-what.

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
the 3G was ditched a while back.. right after 4.2.1, i believe

Yea I know, but I was referring to this:

No rumor season would be complete without an off-the-cuff, out-of-the-blue tweet from Eldar Murtazin and this one about the two year old iPhone 3GS not getting iOS 5 doesn?t disappoint:

Just one comment. Apple iPhone 3Gs wont be upgradable to iOS 5.x. iPhone 4 will.

iOS 5 is expected to be revealed at WWDC in June. Although the iPhone 3GS is currently still on the market, Apple has previously discontinued software updates for older iOS devices like the original iPhone 2G ? and more recently the iPhone 3G.

And who knows, if iOS 5 requires a minimum of an Apple A4 chipset to run at acceptable performance levels, then maybe Murtazin might have something. We?ll have to wait for WWDC to find out.

What do you think, iPhone 3GS owners?

UPDATE: Some folks are pointing out that Murtazin said iPhone 3Gs, not iPhone 3GS, as in he meant the plural form of iPhone 3G. And since they didn?t get iOS 4.3, it stands to reason they wouldn?t get iOS 5. If that?s the case, it?s a pretty obvious thing to tweet?

iPhone 3GS won’t be getting iOS 5 update? [Rumor] [Updated] | TiPb

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR