Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I don't have a iPhone yet so I was thinking of getting a 4S or wait a couple of months for the 5, probabely by the time I've saved up enough for the 4S the beast of a iPhone 5 would be out 😃
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Apple View Post
    I don't have a iPhone yet so I was thinking of getting a 4S or wait a couple of months for the 5, probabely by the time I've saved up enough for the 4S the beast of a iPhone 5 would be out 😃
    Most of the value is now in the apps. Therefore, an iPhone is an iPhone. Get what fits your budget. Consider a 3GS.

The big difference in generations is now in broadband speed. However, actual speed is much more a function of where one is than what one carries. The max speed I have seen on Optimum online (cable DOCSIS 2) is 18Mbps. 10 is more typical and even this is more a function of the server than the service. This week in NYC I saw 10Mbps on Verizon LTE and 16Mbps on AT&T HSPDA+. Said another way, the phone is not likely to be the bottle neck in data speed.

Buy an iPhone. Choose on budget first. Prefer early to late. Choose carrier based first upon local coverage and then on 4G coverage.

We are there guys. You will no longer get dramatic, or even noticeable, differences in quality of service
    from "the next generation." The device is no longer the limiting factor.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's a dillemma and always a balance between what you're wanting to spend and what you want. Based on your quote above, it sounds like you want the latest. I would avoid the 3GS, as it's on the way out and if history is any indication, will not be able to be upgraded to iOS 6, whenever that comes. Apple shoehorned the 5.x updates onto it, and it actually performs ok with it, but they will likely retire this hardware next generation. The 4 is getting older, and the 4S is tremendous. For those of us to complete contracts and are on a two-three year upgrade path, I see it as you're either on the first release side, or the "S" side. I got the 3GS when it first came out, and skipped the 4, and got the 4S when it came out. I've found the S side is the place to be - real or perceived (I think both), the 4 had antenna issues, and that and other bugs were worked out with the 4S. Sure, I don't have the newest design right away, but man, these things are expensive!

Same with the iPad - had the original, skipped the iPad 2, and got a new iPad.

Get the 4S, get used to it, then figure out if iOS is for you before ponying up more $$ for the 5, or whatever they'll call it.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad mini Retina LTE 128GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TV (2d & 3d generations)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The big difference in generations is now in broadband speed.

We are there guys. You will no longer get dramatic, or even noticeable, differences in quality of service
    from "the next generation." The device is no longer the limiting factor.

Enjoy!
    I respectfully disagree that we're "there". That might be true if you're in a major city, but not here in Alaska, for instance. We have fake 4G (HSPA+) on AT&T, and Verizon actually wants to bring LTE here next year (there is no Verizon here right now), but there are currently dramatic differences in quality of service even among carriers in the same city, and even with the same carrier. If it takes 15 minutes to download a podcast, versus 5 minutes, that's noticeable.

I do agree with you that with the retina displays now in all iOS devices, and likely making their way to Macs, they've accomplished that. There will always be processor and RAM upgrades, and Apple will incrementally improve these things, year after year.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad mini Retina LTE 128GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TV (2d & 3d generations)
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I'm going to wait to upgrade. If you want to get away from your Droid ASAP then I say upgrade now. The iPhone 4 is still a great phone! Heck even the 3GS is awesome!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

I bought an iPhone 4 yesterday and i don't regret it but I bought off contract so next year I can upgrade to the latest iPhone at that time.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't know your carrier of choice, but I recall that O2 (and now possibly others) allow you to "rent" a phone for a year or so with no up-front costs and a slightly bigger monthly bill. That might also be an option worth investigating.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    I respectfully disagree that we're "there". That might be true if you're in a major city, but not here in Alaska, for instance. We have fake 4G (HSPA+) on AT&T, and Verizon actually wants to bring LTE here next year (there is no Verizon here right now), but there are currently dramatic differences in quality of service even among carriers in the same city, and even with the same carrier. If it takes 15 minutes to download a podcast, versus 5 minutes, that's noticeable.

I do agree with you that with the retina displays now in all iOS devices, and likely making their way to Macs, they've accomplished that. There will always be processor and RAM upgrades, and Apple will incrementally improve these things, year after year.
    I may have been a little too glib. i did not intend to suggest that the service is "there," only that the phone is not the limiting factor. At the rate they are going, it will be years before 90 percent of the ground, as opposed to 90 percent of the people, is covered. In Alaska, where 99 percent of the people live along the coast, you will never get there, and there will be no one "there" to care.

I do not even have EDGE in my home. I have to have a micro-cell.

However, the thread is about whether or not one should wait for a 5, which might have LTE but not much else novel, or buy a 4, which is already pretty fast. Unless one knows that one is likely to have LTE SERVICE,where one lives and works, there is no sense in living with Android from now until October.

Your circumstance supports my case. If one lives in a part of Alaska, where one is unlikely to have LTE service within the useful life of a 5, then there is nothing in a 5 worth waiting for. A 4 and 5 are functionally equivalent.

Is it possible that Apple will do some "Apple Magic" and put some other game changer besides LTE in the 5 and surprise us all once again? Like everyone else, I hope so. However, "hope" does not figure into the decision.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphonerookie84 View Post
    I bought an iPhone 4 yesterday and i don't regret it but I bought off contract so next year I can upgrade to the latest iPhone at that time.
    One needs to be very careful not to let the "contract" distort one's decision. The contract may decrease the price of a phone while increasing the cost of ownership.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I may have been a little too glib. i did not intend to suggest that the service is "there," only that the phone is not the limiting factor. At the rate they are going, it will be years before 90 percent of the ground, as opposed to 90 percent of the people, is covered. In Alaska, where 99 percent of the people live along the coast, you will never get there, and there will be no one "there" to care.

I do not even have EDGE in my home. I have to have a micro-cell.

However, the thread is about whether or not one should wait for a 5, which might have LTE but not much else novel, or buy a 4, which is already pretty fast. Unless one knows that one is likely to have LTE SERVICE,where one lives and works, there is no sense in living with Android from now until October.

Your circumstance supports my case. If one lives in a part of Alaska, where one is unlikely to have LTE service within the useful life of a 5, then there is nothing in a 5 worth waiting for. A 4 and 5 are functionally equivalent.

Is it possible that Apple will do some "Apple Magic" and put some other game changer besides LTE in the 5 and surprise us all once again? Like everyone else, I hope so. However, "hope" does not figure into the decision.
    You like the word "One"! Joking!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I have a 4 at the moment and I am extremely happy with it, but I'll definitely be grabbing the 5. If you absolutely need a phone, you could buy a relatively cheap used 4 and pay on a monthly basis with a carrier of your choice. Then, when the 5 comes out, you can make a decision on whether or not you want to switch from your 4.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123