Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    iPhone Nanite

Just don't know how people will keep up with apple they bring out a new iphone every year they have since the iphone first came out ....4 is just as good as the 3,3g,3gs or 5 for that matters they all do the same thing it's not like droid where the x has 2.3 and droid 1 has 2.2 software.. Apple tries to keep it all even across the board like verizon iphone has 4.2.6 att has 4.3 but verizon iphone already came out with all the fixes and personal hot spot that att did now have until they released 4.3 thats why verizon don't have it so yes go ahead and get the 4 if you want a iphone And also apple has done said that 5 will not replace 4
    Last edited by bigtankusa1; 04-02-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

I weighed heavily on the 5 vs. 4 vs. One of the new sparkly Android Phones for about six months. For me there was nothing that was a deal breaker for me to wait for the iPhone 5. The iPhone 4 is pretty fast enough for a single core processor and even if the 5 is 4G capable it wouldn't make a single difference for me because it won't be coming to my end of suburbia for at least another year and a half or two years. I also happen to know plenty of Android phone owners of Sprint and Verizon flavor and while they like their phones they don't like having to pay more for apps. One of them cited the fact that we have a vast reserve of apps at the $0.99 pricepoint. I'm also not a huge fan of the Android Market with it's 90% garbage rate.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Unless you can wait the reported 4 or 5 months til the i5 is released, I would just get the 4. Reason being that there's a very good chance that the iOS 5 will be iPhone 4 compatible. For me, the biggest upgrades besides the possibility of 4G connectivity (which may or may not happen) would be OS related, not hardware related. A more robust email system and re-done notification system would outweigh any increase in processor, camera MP increase, and screen size increase IMO.
    Thanked by:
    petaf (04-08-2011)
    iPhone Newbie

I would go for iPhone 4.
    And then wait for an update of the iPhone 5
    iPhone Intermediate

Waiting for iPhone 6.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  
    iMore Nanite

Thanks all. I went ahead and got the i4.
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstro View Post
    Thanks all. I went ahead and got the i4.
    good choice! I had an iphone 4 on at&t, then switched to vzw iphone 4 and still loving it... iphone 5 may not provide LTE yet, and aside from that and maybe NFC, i see little reason to switch to an iP5 if the only changes were to be, say, larger (4") screen and dual mode (GSM/UMTS & CDMA on one chip)... screen res won't change... battery life is already amazing on iP4... dropped calls solved with vzw iP4 ...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I wasn't waiting for the 5. It could be a year from now when it comes out. Who knows. I wanted it now and was well worth not waiting.
    iMore Intermediate

Now, seems the iPHone 5 worth waiting, read this: Apple to announce iPhone 5 at a separate event in June? [Crazy rumors] | TiPb
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

According to my e-mail, this thread is receiving some rude and inappropriate posts. Kudos to all that they are identified and removed by the time I get here.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was one of the many Verizon users who preordered at 3AM on 2/3. My neighbor (Also VZW and on BB Storm 1) said I was crazy. Wait a few months for the iPhone 5, it will be 4G, and Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the iPhone 4 even on Verizon. At that time, the rumors were the white iPhone was coming in Spring, and no signs pointed to anything but a new revision in the summer.

I told him that (1) I don't think the iPhone 5 will be that big a departure from iPhone 4, and (2) the iPhone 4 does everything I want it to do and more.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I am over talking to him and notice he has his web cam on his laptop. I say "Skyping with your brother?" (He is from Croatia, and his brother still lives there). He replies yes.

I pull out my iPhone (on 3G) and call him. He hears his laptop, goes over and was sold.

His birthday is late May, so I told him WWDC is the first week of June. If he is waiting until late May, wait until WWDC and see if iPhone 5 is announced. If not, get the iPhone 4.

He totally got it. And this is my advice to anyone with any technology. Ask yourself, "Does this device do what I want it to do today? Would I be happy with this device?" If you answer yes? Get it. If not? Look for something else or wait.
     Verizon iPhone 6 Space Grey (64GB)  iPad (32GB Black WiFi 3rd gen)  13" MacBook Pro Retina  3rd gen TV
    iMore Newbie

Default IPhone 4 or 5

It also depends if you live in a city that has the 4G network already and when will your city get it if you don't...I love my IPhone 4!!!! I was also one of those people who pre-order their phone and it was the BEST decision I made regarding my phone.

I love the fact that you can modify the appearance and settings once you JB the device. Who knows if we'll be able to jb the iphone 5 right away????

My $.02
    iPhone Nanite

I'm now a happy iPhone4 user that switched from a Blackberry Bold 9650. I would go for it. The iPhone4 isn't a bad device at all! It's actually quite impressive and slick. I heard that the new model, whenever that gets leaked and what not might be going back to the original design (as far as the back). To be honest... I think the iPhone4 look is the best look yet. <3

Best Regards,
    Seven
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Even though I can think of a few peeps who are on the brink of suicide at the thought of waiting beyond summer for the iphone 5 (you know who you are ), to me the iphone 4 is a great device. The only things I would look forward to in an updated version are better notifications, and a 4" screen.
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by petaf View Post
    Even though I can think of a few peeps who are on the brink of suicide at the thought of waiting beyond summer for the iphone 5 (you know who you are ), to me the iphone 4 is a great device. The only things I would look forward to in an updated version are better notifications, and a 4" screen.
    Hahaha! We ALL know who they are! I agree totally and if it's not a huge difference, I'm perfectly happy with my iP4. It doesn't help though that my account balance affords me a 1 year upgrade. We shall see...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This is a good thread...and I've put lots of thought into this. I have my 32GB 3GS, which works perfectly and aside from the maddening dropped calls on AT&T here in the DC area, it gets the job done just fine. I remember a couple years ago, where the 3GS was a big deal, and I was envious of my friend when I only had my 3G. Since there were no storage bumps on the 4, I have elected to avoid getting one--plus I'm in contract for another 11 months. It's agonizing, but if 1) an LTE iPhone, 2) a storage boost to 64GB, or 3) move to Sprint (which has the best coverage in my area), I'll jump to a 5...but at this time, I don't plan to jump to the 4.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I just recently made the switch to the 4 from a Sprint Evo and am happy I did. Waiting for the next big upgrade to drop is a downward spiral. New crap comes out in perpetuity.

Sure, eventually I will get a 5, 6 or 7 generation Iphone, but the 4 is almost like art in the phone world and it does everything I need/want. It also fits in my pocket nicely compared to the Evo. A larger screen Iphone is not really necessary or all that appealing to me after my time with the Evo. Now also owning the Ipad, a big screen phone is redundant.
    iPhone Nanite

iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

While I think each person's decision on this matter is an individual one, I think it's being overlooked how competitive apple will be with all of the new technology that is coming out. I think there are clearly a few things that apple will add to iPhone 5: 1) bigger screen - I think that there is clearly a trend toward of people choosing bigger screens if available, up to a point; 2) dual core processor - with the A5 chip in the iPad 2, it seems like a no brainer to include one in the iPhone 5; 3) better camera, i.e. more megapixels. These would seem relatively easy to do in the context of an June or July iPhone refresh, but if the timing does indeed slip to the fall, it's likely that apple is looking to include LTE to better compete with the LTE capable droids on verizon. Qualcomm is scheduled to have integrated chips available in the fall that would seem to allow the LTE to be included without the design compromises that Tim Cook was referring to during the initial iPhone 4 press conference earlier this year. I just think that people who are deciding on buying now or waiting should keep this info in mind when making a decision.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by triangle View Post
    While I think each person's decision on this matter is an individual one, I think it's being overlooked how competitive apple will be with all of the new technology that is coming out. I think there are clearly a few things that apple will add to iPhone 5: 1) bigger screen - I think that there is clearly a trend toward of people choosing bigger screens if available, up to a point; 2) dual core processor - with the A5 chip in the iPad 2, it seems like a no brainer to include one in the iPhone 5; 3) better camera, i.e. more megapixels. These would seem relatively easy to do in the context of an June or July iPhone refresh, but if the timing does indeed slip to the fall, it's likely that apple is looking to include LTE to better compete with the LTE capable droids on verizon. Qualcomm is scheduled to have integrated chips available in the fall that would seem to allow the LTE to be included without the design compromises that Tim Cook was referring to during the initial iPhone 4 press conference earlier this year. I just think that people who are deciding on buying now or waiting should keep this info in mind when making a decision.
    Many great points here. Apple will not sacrifice battery life. A larger screen, dual core, brand new (not market tested) LTE chip will affect the battery life, and I think that is what Tim Cook was alluding to. So LTE I don't see in the iPhone 5.
     Verizon iPhone 6 Space Grey (64GB)  iPad (32GB Black WiFi 3rd gen)  13" MacBook Pro Retina  3rd gen TV
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Talking

I had the Droid X and decided to jump to the iPhone 4 and love it, the iPhone is easy to use and does not crash like my Droid and Droid X would sometimes do. If you're into rooting or Jailbreaking, the iPhone is so much easier to do this with. I don't have to worry about bricking my phone when rooting or restoring. I love it!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts

Wait for the 5 that's what I'm doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It depends on how soon you want a phone. It will probably be at least 6 more months until the 5 comes out. I would be shocked for the typical June/July release.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    It depends on how soon you want a phone. It will probably be at least 6 more months until the 5 comes out. I would be shocked for the typical June/July release.
    My reading of The Huffington Post.....
    A Guide To iPhone 5 Rumors: 10 Predictions So Far
    ....suggests to me that the 5 might be the iPhone to skip. HP says both 4G and Near Field Communication, NFC, are unlikely. Likely are an aluminum back (I like the glass), a new bezel, new camera, iPad2 processor (I find the iPhone 4 fast enough and I have an iPad 2), and a new camera. I want 4G and NFC and I like the 4.

On the other hand, Apple often surprises me.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    My reading of The Huffington Post.....
    A Guide To iPhone 5 Rumors: 10 Predictions So Far
    ....suggests to me that the 5 might be the iPhone to skip. HP says both 4G and Near Field Communication, NFC, are unlikely.

On the other hand, Apple often surprises me.
    Could not agree more. These technologies are early in their lifecycles, and 2012 will be the earliest AT&T and Verizon have substantial 4G networks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast