iPhone 5 - 4G or Dual Core?

iPhone 5 - 4G or Dual Core? - What's more important?

• 4G

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Dual Core processor

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I know battery life is a consideration in what to add or not add to iPhone 5. Given that both 4G and dual core eat battery, which would you think is more important to have in the iphone 5?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
4G isn't widely available yet, plus I'm sure AT&T will screw the hell outta iPhone users on 4G plans. Dual-core improves battery life, not hurts it.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
4G isn't widely available yet, plus I'm sure AT&T will screw the hell outta iPhone users on 4G plans. Dual-core improves battery life, not hurts it.

You got that backwards. How is more processing speed save you battery?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's going to be dual core and there will not be any 4G. It might have HSPA+ which some are calling 4G (AT&T and Tmobile) but that is still 3G. The chances of it having LTE are slim to none.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You got that backwards. How is more processing speed save you battery?

Well for one it's a smaller manufacturing process, making it draw less power. It is able to turn off a core and throttle speed based upon usage. They also optimize battery manufacturing processes.

Think about it. Laptops today are smaller, faster and even quad core at times. And yet battery life has improved....

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Dual core. It might have HSPA+ 21mbps, but no LTE yet. The network is not widespread enough and would only be hurt by an LTE iPhone.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It'll be dual core most likely, why put 4G in it when 4G is barely even available to people who live outside major US cities.

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's the same answer, but my question was whether it would be more desirable (for the user) to have 4G vs. dual core? Clearly, there will be more users capable of using dual core than 4G, but that wasn't the question. My goal isn't improving Apple's bottom line.

Given that Verizon covers 110 million with 4G right now and that they are planning 147 cities by year end, I'd say a good chunk of the U.S.'s 300 million would be covered.

As for dual core improving battery, I'm not reading that from the evidence offered. I'm reading that power management and separation of processing allows better power management from dual core than a similarly configured single core. However, I'm not reading that the addition of more processors is yielding more battery life and I'm certainly not reading that adding faster processors is yielding more battery life.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Maybe it's the same answer, but my question was whether it would be more desirable (for the user) to have 4G vs. dual core? Clearly, there will be more users capable of using dual core than 4G, but that wasn't the question. My goal isn't improving Apple's bottom line.

Given that Verizon covers 110 million with 4G right now and that they are planning 147 cities by year end, I'd say a good chunk of the U.S.'s 300 million would be covered.

As for dual core improving battery, I'm not reading that from the evidence offered. I'm reading that power management and separation of processing allows better power management from dual core than a similarly configured single core. However, I'm not reading that the addition of more processors is yielding more battery life and I'm certainly not reading that adding faster processors is yielding more battery life.

In that case the dual core processor will be more useful because ~7 billion > 309 million.

Does any company besides Verizon have an LTE network?

Rex_Suggs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
iphone 5 better have a Dual core and be as fast as the ipad if not ill stay with my i4 becuase i love it. the ip5 better be at least 2x as fast as i4

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods