iPhone 5 rattle?

atrpm

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 5 this morning from a verizon store, and when I got home started playing with my shinning new iPhone 5 I realize that when you shake the iPhone there is a weird feeling like something is loose inside, and if you listen to it you can also hear it loud and clear.

I return back to the verizon store and they couldnt replace it because they ran out already but one of the display unit had the same issue the order one did not.

Can you guys try this and tell me what you find?

Thanks!

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 5 this morning from a verizon store, and when I got home started playing with my shinning new iPhone 5 I realize that when you shake the iPhone there is a weird feeling like something is loose inside, and if you listen to it you can also hear it loud and clear.

I return back to the verizon store and they couldnt replace it because they ran out already but one of the display unit had the same issue the order one did not.

Can you guys try this and tell me what you find?

Thanks!

The lens of the camera has an autofocus mechanism which will jingle around when you shake the 4S. Maybe it's this?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My white 32 GB has a light rattle as well. It's either part of the camera or the new vibrate motor Apple is using. I know Rene's black 64 GB is doing it as well. Apple shipped me a new phone today and I'll see how this one is. If it's the same I'm not going to worry about it.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the sleep button at the top. I noticed mine was a tad bit loose then I shook it and heard a small rattle, which was the sleep button. I'm heading to MacArthur mall tomorrow to get ghost armor, so I'm gonna run it by Apple while I'm there.

iUSERNAME

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the sleep button at the top. I noticed mine was a tad bit loose then I shook it and heard a small rattle, which was the sleep button. I'm heading to MacArthur mall tomorrow to get ghost armor, so I'm gonna run it by Apple while I'm there.

IT IS THE SLEEP BUTTON GUYS LOL...hold the button with your finger lightly and shake it. Do you hear the noise?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
IT IS THE SLEEP BUTTON GUYS LOL...hold the button with your finger lightly and shake it. Do you hear the noise?

Not the power button. Maybe for some it is but this distinctive rattle is exactly what I said it was. Some older iPhones had the same thing. Again some of you may have loose power buttons. Not on my phones though.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
no rattling when shaken but when I tap on the camera I can hear it, it sounds the same as the 4S

Correct. On one of mine you hear that sound by lightly shaking it. Not right in my opinion but it seems pretty common by how many people have it. I'll see how the new one is when I get it Monday or Tuesday.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Not the power button. Maybe for some it is but this distinctive rattle is exactly what I said it was. Some older iPhones had the same thing. Again some of you may have loose power buttons. Not on my phones though.

Hmm interesting. I did a test and held the power button lightly then shook it and didn't hear anything, but like you said it could be a different case for different devices. Hope it's something minor and you figure it out man!

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm interesting. I did a test and held the power button lightly then shook it and didn't hear anything, but like you said it could be a different case for different devices. Hope it's something minor and you figure it out man!

You are correct. Depends on the phone. I've seen it where it is the power button and where it is not. 9 times out of 10 it's not the power button. Like mentioned all earlier iPhones did this too but it required a gentle tap by the camera. Now it seems you can simply give it a little shake and get the same result.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. Depends on the phone. I've seen it where it is the power button and where it is not. 9 times out of 10 it's not the power button. Like mentioned all earlier iPhones did this too but it required a gentle tap by the camera. Now it seems you can simply give it a little shake and get the same result.

Hmm that is very odd. I'll see if the rep I speak to tomorrow morning at the Apple store knows anything about what you are describing.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
And my apologies for the other thread. I thought that was the solution, but I see now I should have waited for more feedback.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm that is very odd. I'll see if the rep I speak to tomorrow morning at the Apple store knows anything about what you are describing.

I'm even hearing cases of the battery not being secured properly but that's obviously a much more noticeable "rattle".

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm even hearing cases of the battery not being secured properly but that's obviously a much more noticeable "rattle".

Yiiikes. Yeah, that sounds much more serious lol, thank goodness I don't have one of those defects!