No wonder there are lines...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Idiot news team doesn't do proper investigation/vetting...

Fox 5 New York gets suckered by iPhone 5 concept video | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Tech reporting is hard. So many new products, so many features; who can keep track of them all? The answer: not the gang at the NYC Fox affiliate's late evening news, who managed to misrepresent the iPhone 5's feature list rather dramatically.

As pointed out by 9to5Mac, the coverage package of interviews with line-waiters at the 5th Avenue store who are anticipating the Friday launch took a rather surreal turn. The reporter breathlessly cites "a laser keyboard and holographic images" for the new iPhone, as a clip plays showing those capabilities.

Unfortunately, that video clip is the work of Aatma Studio; it's a year-old concept video, showing an obviously misshapen iPhone 5 and several hypothetical new things it could do. (The studio's current concept clip is a winner, including the Rubberband Electronics killer feature.) Seems like the fact-checking squad is out of the office today -- they might have pointed the editor to an actual Apple video of the phone, for instance.

Full clip below. It's sad, but funny. Money moment at about 40 seconds in.

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I was more than happy staying up until 2:00 am CST to pre order my iPhone 5 in my house. No phone is worth waiting in the cold for 8-9 days. That's just crazy and stupid. But I hate Fox News so effin much lol

yeyeman9

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I was more than happy staying up until 2:00 am CST to pre order my iPhone 5 in my house. No phone is worth waiting in the cold for 8-9 days. That's just crazy and stupid. But I hate Fox News so effin much lol

That is not even the point of the article....

rew001

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This is a Fox affiliate, it's not Fox News.
That being said, people are dumbasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The video has people waiting in line.

The point of the post (I posted it)... is that some reporters can't even do the basic research... and the go "on air" with a piece showing year old concept video as fact. The reporter and the editor/producer showed what tools they really are. C'mon, people do the research.

snuffleupagus99

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I met a girl who preordered who believes that is the phone she if getting. Holographic projector/keyboard etc. oh, and it's 100% clear. So yeah that fox affiliate screwed up, but it's more wide spread than that I fear. If stupidity was contagious I probably wouldn't know my alphabet...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The point of the post (I posted it)... is that some reporters can't even do the basic research... and the go "on air" with a piece showing year old concept video as fact. The reporter and the editor/producer showed what tools they really are. C'mon, people do the research.

Research appear to be a dying art these days. We are living in a time when we are to believe exactly what we are being told with no questions asked. Facts are for losers or so its been said. Fortunately, I'm an enemy of that line of thinking and of those who prescribe to it. Oh well!..(laughing)

DD214#WN

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Allot of news outlets reported Iphone 5 "facts" that turned out to be wrong....

People bashing Foxnews are probably the MSNBC types....Because they are the real "Fair and balanced" ones....

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Allot of news outlets reported Iphone 5 "facts" that turned out to be wrong....

People bashing Foxnews are probably the MSNBC types....Because they are the real "Fair and balanced" ones....

And to be clear, this was NOT a FoxNews piece - it was a "news" piece done by a local Fox TV Network affiliate who failed to do proper investigation...