Will the Iphone 5 have a new design

nzrocketman

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
im getting interested in the Iphone 5. I haven't owned anything apple to-date, and the Iphone is starting to get interesting, however i think i am getting sick of the same design, Even if it has 4" screen in a stretched Iphone 4S design will not impress me enough.

Do you think they will have a whole new design.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
None of us know for certain what the next iPhone will look like. All we have are rumored specs at best. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I think the redesign will be substantial this time. The 4 and then 4s have been around for eons in phone terms. It's definitely time for a mix up.

Remember what you can do with the design element of a large touch screen phone is of course naturally limited. But expect a shake up nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It DAMN well better!!!

If not i genuinely hope that they do so horrible in sales that they are forced to see that they are not the technological messiah and they get off of their arses and truly innovate.Even if they did redesign it if it is simply longer or stretched out and is not wider, I for one will absolutely not buy it.

Bigger not longer.

Personally i like this design but i wish it were a bit thicker with a smaller doc etc....
iPhone 5 Website Leaked - YouTube

Last edited:

dsdxp

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If the next iPhone does not have a significant redesign, I'll be forced to move to android. And by significant, I don't mean a stretched out iPhone 4S.

nzrocketman

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
maybe something like
iphone-5-thinner.jpg
or
46839eb530673c23615018cd79e30d99.jpg

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope they don't just stretch out the 4 design. They can make it a little wider also and people will not complain. I mean look how well huge android phones are selling. They have plenty of room to work with while still making it 1 hand friendly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the redesign is going to be a subtle and unorthodox change...something you don't typically see (IE: the stretched mock ups we've been seeing that relate a longer chassis instead of a more balanced size increase all around).

If you're bored of the current iPhone design, I doubt this new phone is going to blow you away cosmetically. Personally, i love the form and fit of the current iPhone, so any change that comes I plan to take as subtle progress instead of referring to it as "redesigned".

Who knows though, like last year and the media hysteria that surrounded the (at the time) completely redesigned iPhone, this one could be completely identical to the one we have (cosmetically). Just have to wait and see what we're shown in a few weeks.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
If this has any truth to it ... then no - the iPhone will not have a drastically new design.

Has the iPhone 5 Been Smuggled Out of the Factory Already?

I would be fine with it. The only thing that is strange to me is the headphone jack on the bottom. I guess I'll get used to it.

Not buying it. Too similar to the 4 and 4s. I think the market has moved on now they need a more radical refresh to capture imagination again

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Not buying it. Too similar to the 4 and 4s. I think the market has moved on now they need a more radical refresh to capture imagination again

This is the thing with that - I agree totally with what you are saying. There is no doubt that smartphones like the Samsung Note and Galaxy SIII are hot. They are offering bigger screens, stylus, etc. The people at Apple are not stupid - they have to be seeing this trend. But at the same time, is making the iPhone look similar to the prior versions part of the plan? To keep the brand recognition there? Think about it - all iPads and iPhones look very much the same. There might be something to that.

I don't think Apple would ever come out with two models of iPhones, but if they did, I think it would satisfy those looking for the bigger screens. One iPhone with the "Job's" form factor, and another bigger iPhone/iPhablet. Maybe that is really what the rumors are about the iPad Mini - maybe its just a really big iPhone model.

It will certainly be interesting come release time. I know many were disappointed with the 4S when it was released. I do hope Apple can "wow" us again, but I do agree that from all the leaks I've seen so far, it's more like 'meh.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
yes but that's the deal with Apple in the first place they can only change the phone so much the front panel dominates the phone, so think about it from this angle they can only change the sides and the rear the front panel will remain the same unless they go capacitive on the home button as well.

So no matter what they do it will always be easily identifiable as an iPhone

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
so what I'm saying is any change to the rear and the sides of the phone constitutes a total redesign. Even samsung with the GS3 the phone looks a little different but you know it's in the Galaxy family even the specs are similar between the GS2 and GS3. They real change was in the software yes I know the processors are different and one has a larger screen but in on in they really can't change these things a whole lot.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
This is the thing with that - I agree totally with what you are saying. There is no doubt that smartphones like the Samsung Note and Galaxy SIII are hot. They are offering bigger screens, stylus, etc. The people at Apple are not stupid - they have to be seeing this trend. But at the same time, is making the iPhone look similar to the prior versions part of the plan? To keep the brand recognition there? Think about it - all iPads and iPhones look very much the same. There might be something to that.

I don't think Apple would ever come out with two models of iPhones, but if they did, I think it would satisfy those looking for the bigger screens. One iPhone with the "Job's" form factor, and another bigger iPhone/iPhablet. Maybe that is really what the rumors are about the iPad Mini - maybe its just a really big iPhone model.

It will certainly be interesting come release time. I know many were disappointed with the 4S when it was released. I do hope Apple can "wow" us again, but I do agree that from all the leaks I've seen so far, it's more like 'meh.

It's a fair point and I guess we won't really know until it drops, but it's fun to speculate all the same. If we look historically we had the first phone. Then a radical design change to iPhone 3G that then stayed another year to iPhone 3GS. Then another radical change to iPhone 4 and as per history they stuck with it again for another year with the iPhone 4s. A bold move given the march of android.

Logically then if they follow pattern, the iPhone 5 should be a big redesign which they will continue for an additional year with an iphone 5s version.

Of course this pattern is by no means a rule, Apple may redesign for 5 and then redesign again for 6 who knows but I'm almost certain they will shake it up this time around.

Let's wait and see. I must admit after having a 4 for two years, and now a 4s (all be it in a different colour) by the time I'm ready for early upgrade to a 5?I will have been rocking the same physical design for 3 years!

I know some people say if it ain't broke don't fix it - but if that were true we would all have old stool car shapes! Things evolve and in tech they evolve faster than ever. If it follows 4 and 4s again and i upgrade it will mean I will have had the same design for 5 years! That's just unacceptable to me and I'm betting to the millions of others in my position.

I like your idea on two new models though. Almost like an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5 pro, one as a slight tweak the other more radical. This could work and would be an interesting change of tactic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If the pictures so far are what we will be be getting then its a stretched and slightly thinner iPhone 4/4S. I put mine in a case so its not as critical as it used to be, it would also hopefully mean cases would be more quickly available but who knows. We should know in 41 days.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If the pictures so far are what we will be be getting then its a stretched and slightly thinner iPhone 4/4S. I put mine in a case so its not as critical as it used to be, it would also hopefully mean cases would be more quickly available but who knows. We should know in 41 days.

Let the countdown of days begin...... :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2