I'd pay $2,000 for a new iPhone

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple should go up on the price of the next iPhone. Now that the iPhone 4S has saturated and can be found in places like Cricket and other low end carriers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because iPhones are sold at Walmart, Target, Cricket & other "low end" carriers, as you put it, why would Apple want to raise the price and risk losing customers to Android and Windows Mobile? It amazes me how some people are afraid of the term "low end / low budget" and Apple cashes in on that fear, too. For example, with the exception of storage space, there is absolutely no difference between the iPhone 4S 16, 32 & 64 GB models and yet, there are people out there who will go out of their way to not get the 16 Gig model simply because it is touted as the base / budget model. Having said that, is it your belief that the iPhone has been rendered cheap because it is now sold by "low end" carriers?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Just because iPhones are sold at Walmart, Target, Cricket & other "low end" carriers, as you put it, why would Apple want to raise the price and risk losing customers to Android and Windows Mobile? It amazes me how some people are afraid of the term "low end / low budget" and Apple cashes in on that fear, too. For example, with the exception of storage space, there is absolutely no difference between the iPhone 4S 16, 32 & 64 GB models and yet, there are people out there who will go out of their way to not get the 16 Gig model simply because it is touted as the base / budget model. Having said that, is it your belief that the iPhone has been rendered cheap because it is now sold by "low end" carriers?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Naturally. When iPhone 4S went to Cricket, everyone was appalled. And I immediately thought it was a ploy. The company, Apple, "Handing it down" to the cheaper carriers, as an act of 'final hurrah', showing that this generation of iPhone is complete and ready to be used by younger and cheaper.

The iPhone 5 will not be on Cricket. Look at the Macbooks. It's indistinguishable. You can simply change out one piece to upgrade and yet the price is higher. This is what Apple does. Uniformity. Brand recognition. It works. But now, Apple has been all about 'disconnecting from the past.'

People will pay more for an iPhone.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I will not pay more for a iPhone, considering I always buy outright here in Australia and paid $799 for the 16gb 4s there's no way in hell I'll pay more for the same amount of space just cause its a "new" iPhone.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Why would apple care what carrier sells their device apple sells phones not service .. More carriers people can buy their product means more money for them

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Naturally. When iPhone 4S went to Cricket, everyone was appalled.
I wasn't & I didn't lose a wink of sleep over it either.
And I immediately thought it was a ploy.
Are you one of the people who buys Apple products for image purposes?
The company, Apple, "Handing it down" to the cheaper carriers, as an act of 'final hurrah', showing that this generation of iPhone is complete and ready to be used by younger and cheaper.
Even before the "low end" carriers started selling the iPhone, the younger crowd were already owning one. My 16 yr old daughter, for example, has had an iPhone since she was 14. Furthermore, did you not see the thread in this forum where people were saying that elementary kids even had iPhones?

The iPhone 5 will not be on Cricket.
You could be right.
Look at the Macbooks. It's indistinguishable. You can simply change out one piece to upgrade and yet the price is higher. This is what Apple does. Uniformity. Brand recognition. It works. But now, Apple has been all about 'disconnecting from the past.'
Company tactics, technology and customers all evolve.

I will pay more for anything if I want it bad enough with an emphasis on "if", but that doesn't mean I will pay more for an iPhone simply because it's an iPhone and I know I'm not alone. Anyway, take care and have a great weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been. People are buying. So I think IF not this time, definitely next time, we will see an iPhone that is more expensive than they've ever been. In Brazil, they already do.

And they kind of have to if they want to please.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been. People are buying.
Consumers control pricing, but heck, I doubt that's even taught anymore. Also, if people are still buying MacBooks and MacBook Pros then it is safe to assume that its price isn't extremely high. PCs are still the most widely used computers, however so there is something for everyone and every price range, and if they want a Mac bad enough they will fork over the money for it.
So I think IF not this time, definitely next time, we will see an iPhone that is more expensive than they've ever been. In Brazil, they already do.
You may be right. Time will tell, but let's say Apple does increase the price of the iPhone, then what? Consumers will either buy it or they won't. With the popularity of Android and the resurgence of Windows mobile, Apple would be risking a great deal by hiking the price on its smartphones unless, of course, the other manufacturers and carriers hike the price of other handset brands.

And they kind of have to if they want to please.
Why do they have to and who are they attempting to please by hiking the price?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The MacBooks are more expensive than they've ever been.
MacBooks are the highest they have ever been......
For the past 5 years.

I bought my first MacBook pro for 2200 (high end 15") three years ago. Bought another one last year for 2200, same model. This year without retina display (which replaces the 17" model) is.... You guessed it 2200.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
MacBooks are the highest they have ever been......
For the past 5 years.

I bought my first MacBook pro for 2200 (high end 15") three years ago. Bought another one last year for 2200, same model. This year without retina display (which replaces the 17" model) is.... You guessed it 2200.

I totally agree. And Apple has supported this theory all along (as do most tech companies). Rarely do you pay less for the item. Of couse, over time, you will see a general reduction in costs until the product reaches its stable price point... manufacturing costs come down, economies of scale, etc... but generally, there is a relatively fixed price point. Year over year, you end up with more advanced feature set, maybe with a new design thrown in... but the cost remains relatively constant.

Over the years, Apple has demonstrated this methodology with iPods, iPhones, iPads and their computers. Instead of reducing the price for an item, you get more memory, faster processor, higher res (retina) displays, etc.

The only reason I could see anyone paying $2000 for an iPhone was because they were either (1) an idiot, (2) desperate, or (3) shopping for a status symbol. I work too hard for my money, and for me, anything more than a modest increase in purchase price would place it out of reach for me - not because I could not afford it, but because the cost would be beyond reasonable, IMHO.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who is willing to pay $2000 for an iPhone has absolutely no clue what other technology is out there. I wouldn't pay $2000 for any phone let alone the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple has a way of getting people used to what seems to be hefty pricing. They could go higher and higher without people really noticing. You say you wouldn't buy it, they always say that in the beginning.

But the funny thing is, is that in the long run, the device costs a bit more than 1,000 with what the hidden costs. The highest model, which may be more that 32GB, could bring it up to right around that price. $300 less and it's almost half the price.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
What hidden fees? I bought my one of my sons an iPhone 4 for his birthday a couple of months ago. Got it on sale at Best Buy for $49.99. He's got a data block on his line, so I don't pay for a data plan. His line only costs a bit more than $10 a month on my family plan. I used my wife's upgrade to buy his phone, so his line has no commitment. There were no "hidden" fees, at least in my case.

OP is delusional. I get the impression that he is from somewhere other than the US (Brazil, based on an earlier post?) where an irrational feeling of superiority is achieved by owning and displaying property that costs more than what their neighbors can buy.

That kind of behavior stems from having large groups of people living in the same area who all have virtually identical incomes and standards of living. The only way distinguish themselves and elevate their social status is to "decorate" their outward appearance with expensive items in the belief that their peers will envy them.

Apple is not going to raise their prices simply to give a VERY small minority of people bragging rights. If the OP wants to have a more expensive iPhone so he can flash it around and make people jealous, he can go get his gold plated or something equally retarded.

Me, I'd rather pay as little as I can for my toys so that I can use that money for other things.