Still using a 4S?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a iPhone 5 and 5c at different times in the past. My curiosity and fickle nature when it comes to smartphones led me to sell them and try out other phones on other platforms.

My mother recently upgraded from a 5s to a 6s Plus, which means my step dad got her 5s and - for helping them backup and restore their info to their new phones, I got my step-dad's 4s.

I had been using a Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen running Cyanogenmod 13 but decided to use the 4s as my daily driver.

And you know what? It's actually a pretty good phone!

Considering it was released nearly 5 years ago and is running the latest version of iOS, I'd say that's a pretty amazing return on investment for a smartphone. I seriously doubt anyone still using a 5-year-old Android phone can say the same.

I can't believe how small it is! I'm missing the screen real estate of my Moto G, but the compact size is actually kind of nice. I don't feel like I'm carrying around a tablet in my pocket and I can easily use it with one hand.

The build quality and design is just fantastic. Its solidly built and still feels like a premium device, especially when compared to my plasticky Moto G.

Surprisingly, I can still do everything need on the 4S. It has all the apps I want. It's a bit laggy at times, but it holds its own vs my Moto G, which is newer and has lag issues itself.

My past stints with newer iPhone models didn't keep me hooked. Ironically, using this 4S might actually do the trick.

I know it won't be getting iOS 10. And it does lack features I want (like hardware encryption and Apple Pay). But all things considered, the 4s still seems like a great little phone even 5 years later.

Anyone out there still using an iPhone 4s?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Friend of mine about a month ago barely let go of his launch day 4S in favor of an SE. It went well for him but he got to a point where he started using his phone for more and more things that the 4S just wasn't able to handle in a timely fashion anymore.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Friend of mine about a month ago barely let go of his launch day 4S in favor of an SE. It went well for him but he got to a point where he started using his phone for more and more things that the 4S just wasn't able to handle in a timely fashion anymore.

Yeah, it's definitely showing its age, but I still can't believe how well it works for being 5 years old.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Still running mine, I think that the 4s is the best built phone Apple has made to date. As for more up to date phones doing more things...I don't want to be able to do more things !

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Good story OP. I don't see to many five year old smartphones, but when I do it seems to always be an Apple iPhone 4s...that indeed says a lot about Apple products.
Thanks again for your story

Last edited:

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Good story OP. I don't see to many five year old smartphones, but when I do it seems to always be an Apple iPhone 4s...that indeed says a lot about Apple products.
Thanks again for your story

Yeah, I've been noticing more of them out there since I got this one. Today at church I saw someone using his 4s to read the words to the congregational hymns. I gave him a mental fist bump, haha.

merlin29

May 19, 2018
Visit site
Just found a new I phone 4s 64GB unlocked, it was running 9.5 but It was very slow have down graded to 6.1 and is much better, I enjoy using older I phones, i also have a 5c which still works well.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am sure, this must have asked many times before, is there a cure for the lag on a 4s running 9.3.5 ?
Any help people??

I can’t help much,apart from saying that I turn off sleeping apps every day and do the sleep button then the home button thing regularly, this will not turn your phone into a racer but will give it the best chance you can. Also try to stay where the best signal is when you’re using it, this might seem obvious but it’s relevant to all phones (mobile !) and often only a few paces will improve things markedly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73