Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question
    iMore Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Default How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    I need to remove some apps from my iPhone 4s, but I don't know how
  2. Best Answer

    Welcome to iMore. Two ways of doing it. First, you can uninstall them through iTunes. Connect you phone to your computer. In iTunes go to your phone and tap on Apps. From there you can install or remove apps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 5.23.44 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	103500

    Second way is to tap and hold on an app on your phone till they start shaking. You will then have an X in the top left corner of the app. Just tap the X and the app will be deleted. Only the apps that can be deleted will show the X. Once you are done deleting, just push your home button to make them stop shaking.

  3. #2  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,350 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

  4. #3  

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    Welcome to iMore. Two ways of doing it. First, you can uninstall them through iTunes. Connect you phone to your computer. In iTunes go to your phone and tap on Apps. From there you can install or remove apps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 5.23.44 PM.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	103500

    Second way is to tap and hold on an app on your phone till they start shaking. You will then have an X in the top left corner of the app. Just tap the X and the app will be deleted. Only the apps that can be deleted will show the X. Once you are done deleting, just push your home button to make them stop shaking.
  5. #4  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    So it looks like the phone method removes the app from the 4s but keeps it in the cloud. If you want the app totally gone from both the iPhone and the iCloud, how do you do that from your 4s?
  6. #5  

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    So it looks like the phone method removes the app from the 4s but keeps it in the cloud. If you want the app totally gone from both the iPhone and the iCloud, how do you do that from your 4s?
    What do you mean by "gone from the iCloud"? Do you mean the purchased list in the App Store? You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer.
  7. #6  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    What do you mean by "gone from the iCloud"? Do you mean the purchased list in the App Store? You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer.
    I mean any app, free or purchased, that you no longer want on your phone or in the iCloud. How do you permanently get rid of them from both your phone and iCloud. As to a "purchased list" - I don't care about that either way.

    9AM CST 7/27/2016 - no updates?
    Last edited by cwr64; 07-27-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: bump
  8. #7  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    607 Posts

    Default How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    I mean any app, free or purchased, that you no longer want on your phone or in the iCloud. How do you permanently get rid of them from both your phone and iCloud. As to a "purchased list" - I don't care about that either way.

    9AM CST 7/27/2016 - no updates?
    If an app uses iCloud storage, you can manage which apps you want to backup data from to iCloud: Settings/Storage & iCloud usage/iCloud/manage storage/backup options.
  9. #8  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    If an app uses iCloud storage, you can manage which apps you want to backup data from to iCloud: Settings/Storage & iCloud usage/iCloud/manage storage/backup options.
    I did not even mention iCloud storage of app data and I don't know why you thought I was. I'm asking how to get rid of the app itself from the iPhone and also from iCloud.
  10. #9  

    Default How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    I did not even mention iCloud storage of app data and I don't know why you thought I was. I'm asking how to get rid of the app itself from the iPhone and also from iCloud.
    Because you mention iCloud. Apps are not stored in iCloud. Only the data. Apps are in your purchased list in the App Store. You can't delete them. You can delete from your phone screen. Press an app icon until they wiggle. Then tap the X.
    Some of the Apple default apps can not be deleted from the screen.
  11. #10  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    OK. When you say iCloud I am taking that to me iCloud - and I assume that means both iCloud and the Cloud (or whatever, if it applies). So if my wife bought a child's app and wanted to get rid of it once the child no longer wants it then she would delete it from the phone using "wiggle" and "X". and it would be gone. And what then if she needs to restore her iPhone from iCloud? After the restore would she have to again delete that previously deleted app because it was in a "purchased" list? And what about free apps - can I assume that the iPhone delete of that free app is all she needs to do to make it disappear forever from everywhere? She doesn't want it to be simply moved to iCloud - she wants it GONE.
  12. #11  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,350 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    OK. When you say iCloud I am taking that to me iCloud - and I assume that means both iCloud and the Cloud (or whatever, if it applies). So if my wife bought a child's app and wanted to get rid of it once the child no longer wants it then she would delete it from the phone using "wiggle" and "X". and it would be gone. And what then if she needs to restore her iPhone from iCloud? After the restore would she have to again delete that previously deleted app because it was in a "purchased" list? And what about free apps - can I assume that the iPhone delete of that free app is all she needs to do to make it disappear forever from everywhere? She doesn't want it to be simply moved to iCloud - she wants it GONE.
    This was already answered by Ledsteplin in post #5 when he stated "You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer."

    You cannot make them "GONE".
  13. #12  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    This was already answered by Ledsteplin in post #5 when he stated "You can't remove apps from the purchased list. You can hide them using a computer."
    You cannot make them "GONE".
    It was not really answered. She deletes the purchased app and wants it gone from her life forever. I know it's in that "purchased" list. So if she is later forced to restore her phone for whatever reason, are you saying that there is no way to do the iPhone restore without bringing back that purchased (but deleted) app to her phone? And I don't know what you mean when you say that the app can be hidden using a computer. Does "hidden" mean that an iPhone restore will not bring back that unwanted app? And how do you "hide" it with a computer?
  14. #13  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,350 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    If it's not on the device when the backup is done, then it will not be restored from a backup. ?? What is making you think that it would be restored?

    Again, there's no way currently to make it "gone from your life forever". Delete it and forget about it.

    Hiding it with a computer means using the iTunes software on a computer to hide the app.
  15. #14  

    Default How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    A backup simply restores what's on the iPhone when the backup was made.

    I have downloaded more than 5000 apps over the years and I perform a restore from a backup on a regular basis. Those apps I don't have on my phone don't come back after the update.

    You can hide apps from the purchase list like others already stated. That will not make the purchase undone but simply will hide it from the purchased list.
  16. #15  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s?

    Thanks for the info.

    Just curious - why do you do restores on a regular basis?

    If you are very iPhone savvy perhaps you might know the answer(s) to the other 2 questions I have posted ("participated") to the forum - I'm user cwr64.
  17. #16  

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    From time to time I'm updating to betas and then I restore it from the latest backup to have everything like before the update.
  18. #17  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    Makes sense. I'm retired from a career with mainframe computers but for whatever reason it seems like I'm over-busy all the time. Anyway, I only have my wife's very old and mostly broken Android phone (to which I cannot even download an app or run a browser). My wife has the 4S and she's not the least bit techie. I don't want tech anymore and the many Apple parts (iPhone, iCloud, iCloud Drive, iPhoto, iTunes, etc.) just leave me in frustration trying to figure out what we OUGHT to be doing with those products. But then things come up with her iPhone and she wants me to fix them or learn about them and so here we are on the forum. I do appreciate your help. If you have looked at my other 2 forum posts you can probably see that all is not well.
  19. #18  

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    It will grow on you. Believe me.
    If you have any further questions, ask away. We're happy to help.
  20. #19  
    cwr64's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    It will grow on you. Believe me.
    If you have any further questions, ask away. We're happy to help.
    Just those other 2 forum post questions that I mentioned.
  21. #20  

    Default Re: How do you remove apps from iPhone 4s

    Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    Just those other 2 forum post questions that I mentioned.
    I answered them as far as I know but I'll take a look again.

Similar Threads

  1. Sorry Galaxy S7, new camera shootout proves iPhone still best
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM
  2. What can I do? my Watch is showing low battery most days.
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
  3. Why does my iPhone say cannot download photo?
    By iMore Question in forum iPhone 6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 07:54 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions