IOS8 on iPhone 4S?

BojanK

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
currently I have installed iOS 7.1 and works fine, but I'm considering upgrading to iOS 8. Is iPhone 4S fast enough for iOS8?

I've had very bad experience with upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 8 (now is allmost unusable), so I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thnx, Bojan

BojanK

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm afraid that it won't be only a split second difference. My iPad 2, which has similar computing power as iPhone 4S, became with upgrade very slow. When I'm in an app, it's ok, but navigating between apps, loading times and the whole experience was much better with iOS7.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd like to hear it from a person who owns iPhone 4S that it's not a big deal. For iPad 2 I now know that it is and I wouldn't recommend upgrading it to anyone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid that it won't be only a split second difference. My iPad 2, which has similar computing power as iPhone 4S, became with upgrade very slow. When I'm in an app, it's ok, but navigating between apps, loading times and the whole experience was much better with iOS7.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd like to hear it from a person who owns iPhone 4S that it's not a big deal. For iPad 2 I now know that it is and I wouldn't recommend upgrading it to anyone.

Fair enough...;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you update the 4s, here's some tips:
To help your 4s run as smooth as possible, try these suggestions.
1. Leave 20% or more of your internal storage space free. This helps to not constrain the system.
2. Get rid of unnecessary features. Yeah, some are cool, but they will bog down an older model phone.
3. Disable transparency effects. Toggle on "Increase Transparency" in Accessibility.
4. Toggle off "Background App Refresh".
Good luck.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I regretted updating, the lag from iOS 8 is significantly worse than 7.1.2.

I ended up having to turn off many of the 8 features, to help with the lag.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was afraid of that :(

Thank you very much for sharing. You saved me a lot of troubles.

But your mileage may vary. I've seen many with the 4s on iOS 8 with minimal lag or other issues. A lot has to do with how much is on the phone and how things are set. But it is a gamble. Would the new features in iOS 8 make a little lag tolerable? If not, then stay where you are.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have both a 5s (downgrade from 6, hahaha. I have a penchant for a palm sized device, using it mostly for the communication purpose) and a 4s. Currently, I am using the 4s as a daily driver (it is jailbroken 8.1.2 and very handy).
Yes, there are noticeable lags but mostly split seconds when opening apps. It initially bothered me, but once you are inside apps, I do not see any lag. And you get used to those small lags. But beyond IOS8, I am not sure how well a 4s would perform. So, I am not going to upgrade the OS any more (I do not see the need of it anyway). If you are on 7.1, I really do not see the need to upgrade it to 8, depending on the usage pattern of your phone. 4s is a great phone, for tossing around in your pocket and very usable. Apple seems to be going along with Android for larger phones, and is not going to produce any 3.5" phone any more (or perhaps even 4" for that matter). It's a treasure :).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro