[Fixed!] iPhone 4S Stuck on Black Screen, Voiceover

solicits

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello! After a few shenanigans, I have with me a 4S (not jailbroken) stuck on Voiceover Mode with a black screen.

Previously, it was the two above plus the Welcome/Setup screen, as in the one with multiple greetings and 'Would you like to turn on Location/find Wifi/add a passcode?". I've managed to get past that without resetting anything.

Now, when I try to turn Voiceover off (double tapping to toggle, as the voice directs), the voice keeps telling me, "On." I double tap again. "On." Double tap again. "On."

On top of that, the phone screen is black. If I take a screenshot, I can see my screen for the amount of time it flashes (everything looks normal). When I reset (pressing the lock and home button at the same time), the Apple logo shows, phone resets, and I see my screen again! Unfortunately, it fades to black after a few seconds and I am stuck with Voiceover and a black screen again.

I have a lot of photos I would like to keep, as well as other stuff I really don't want to go through the trouble of finding again. The phone is not jailbroken, and I'm not connected to iCloud nor iTunes (so I've never backed up data or anything). I also rather not screw up by taking off the back of my phone while listening to instructions of a youtube video.

Is there a way to keep all my stuff without doing a wipe/factory reset? I'm not connected to iCloud or anything, so are there any ways I can use iTunes to save all my data? Is there a reason I can't turn off Voiceover (I'd like to believe I have to fix the black screen first)?

Thank you for any suggestions in advance! It's very much appreciated.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone 4S Stuck on Black Screen, Voiceover

You can try connecting to a computer running iTunes and see if it gives you the choices to sync and back-up.... do both if you can... then restore the iOS.

solicits

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone 4S Stuck on Black Screen, Voiceover

Thanks for replying! In the time it took me to download iTunes, I ended up doing some more research and have now solved my problem.

Apparently there was something called 'Screen Curtain' on, which was linked to the Voiceover option. I had to use three fingers to triple tap my screen and voila! I saw the screen again, and was able to go and turn off Voiceover.

Everything's a-ok now, I hope this solution works for others as well!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods