Why am I unable to attach a picture to a text message?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Changing the setting to "Download and Keep" didn't fix this for me.

What, exactly, happens when you try to send a photo? Are they iMessage or MMS? Or both? Do you have MMS enabled in Settings >Messages? If not, toggle it on.
Also try swiping the messages app out of multitasking.
Try Reset Network Settings.
Reset Network Settings Settings>General>Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings. You may need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards.

Keep in mind photos won't send on cellular in a metal building.

fittrigirl

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can't attach picture to text message

mine just started doing this. I select a pic from photos and it just doesn't show up in the text. And when I pull up the "quick" pick option where I can click on several pics to send they are very old and out of order. Most of my pics won't load for me to even look at once I click on them. It is very weird. If I go into pictures separate I can send them that way. Select a recipient after picking a photo to send. It is a royal PIA. It has never done this b4. I am missing the ease of use. It was so easy to send a picture. To send mult pics. This wk is is a chore. I have tried multiple things. Checked settings. This is something with the last update. I wish I had not done it :-(. It seems to not have effected all iPhones. Just some. Mine is the first iPhone 6 that came out.
Oh, I also can't edit any photos at all. So if one is sideways. Well,it is just sideways. Says unavailable. Grrrrrr. Zero editing options available on reg phone

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't attach picture to text message

mine just started doing this. I select a pic from photos and it just doesn't show up in the text. And when I pull up the "quick" pick option where I can click on several pics to send they are very old and out of order. Most of my pics won't load for me to even look at once I click on them. It is very weird. If I go into pictures separate I can send them that way. Select a recipient after picking a photo to send. It is a royal PIA. It has never done this b4. I am missing the ease of use. It was so easy to send a picture. To send mult pics. This wk is is a chore. I have tried multiple things. Checked settings. This is something with the last update. I wish I had not done it :-(. It seems to not have effected all iPhones. Just some. Mine is the first iPhone 6 that came out.
Oh, I also can't edit any photos at all. So if one is sideways. Well,it is just sideways. Says unavailable. Grrrrrr. Zero editing options available on reg phone

Try a hard reset.
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
If that doesn't work, try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

You can straighten sideways photos in Camera+.

Lisa Hoffman2

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Lisa ( best name ever btw!)
Your my hero!! I have been trying for days to figure this out and your fix has worked. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. You truly saved me!

Lisa

phili steez

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you!! I been trying to fix this problem all night.

I was dealing with this problem, and after an hour on the phone with Apple, I managed to somehow fix it myself. Hope it works for you!

Settings > Photos & Camera > There should be 2 options "Optimize iPhone Storage" & "Download and Keep Originals", I had the Optimize iPhone Storage checked, and once I switched it to Download and Keep Originals, I was able to attach my pictures from my camera roll to my text messages again!

123gina123

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I tried changing the setting as you suggested...turned the phone on and off...still unable to share photos. I've deleted as many photos as I cared to...not that many remaining...help!!!

Baseballwife

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I was dealing with this problem, and after an hour on the phone with Apple, I managed to somehow fix it myself. Hope it works for you!

Settings > Photos & Camera > There should be 2 options "Optimize iPhone Storage" & "Download and Keep Originals", I had the Optimize iPhone Storage checked, and once I switched it to Download and Keep Originals, I was able to attach my pictures from my camera roll to my text messages again!

Baseballwife

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you lisaxlawlar1109! This issue has been tormenting me for days and your suggestion WORKED!!! Now, if you could only tell me why my 6S keeps telling me I'm out of storage room, you would earn the 4 Star IPhone Genera Star from me!

javynlandscaping

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone hasn't figured out the real solution but none of your suggestions worked for me. I tired everything. But then... I tried googling it with my cell carrier and VOILA. You have to ask YOUR carrier why this is happening and you will get the answer. There is a list of information you have to insert into your MMS settings in the APN section in your iPhone before you can attach pictures to people without an iPhone. iMessages work fine.

I had to input this:

• APN: [redacted]
• MMSC: redacted
• MMS Proxy: redacted

fixed. FYI. í*½í¸‰

Last edited by a moderator:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone hasn't figured out the real solution but none of your suggestions worked for me. I tired everything. But then... I tried googling it with my cell carrier and VOILA. You have to ask YOUR carrier why this is happening and you will get the answer. There is a list of information you have to insert into your MMS settings in the APN section in your iPhone before you can attach pictures to people without an iPhone. iMessages work fine.

I had to input this:

• APN: redacted

fixed. FYI. í*½í¸‰

The fact that these settings weren’t already preset in your iPhone is a fault of your carrier. I’m glad you figured it out, though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I had to input this:

fixed. FYI. í*½í¸‰

That redacted information is unique to your situation and your specific carrier and does not apply to everyone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I had to input this:

fixed. FYI. í*½í¸‰

Maybe because it's an extremely rare occurrence. I don't recall anyone else here with that issue before. Glad you got it straightened out. Now we know.

javynlandscaping

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes it does apply to everyone. Everyone who has no plan contract.I switched from a Samsung note 3, to an iPhone 7 Plus in the carrier has nothing to do with it. They don't know I switched phones as I have no contract. Many people do this. I paid for my phone cash.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes it does apply to everyone. Everyone who has no plan contract.I switched from a Samsung note 3, to an iPhone 7 Plus in the carrier has nothing to do with it. They don't know I switched phones as I have no contract. Many people do this. I paid for my phone cash.

When you pop a SIM card of my carrier in whatever phone, I get a prompt if I want to set up mms and internet for that phone.
That’s what I was trying to say.
Again, I’m glad you got it figured out.
But please know that we don’t know everything. We only are able to give advise about stuff we encountered and learned during the years. If we, by any chance, are not able to help you, then that’s only because we don’t have the answer for that certain situation.
Thanks for your understanding.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR