Are all seemingly 'new' replacement batteries available for iPhones outside of Apple refurbs?

merc1212

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered what I was expecting to be a new replacement battery for my 4s from [redacted], and while the battery looked new, it was dated as manufactured in 2012, and after checking the stats using the BatteryLife jailbreak app, it is showing 103 charge cycles already and 90% maximum capacity.

I expected it was a mistake so I contacted support and they were very prompt and sent me a replacement very quickly. The second one is also from 2012 and has 162 charge cycles on it! [redacted] seemed like a fairly reputable site and their service has been excellent but this has me scratching my head.

I thought maybe the BatteryLife app was at fault, but after switching back and forth from one battery to the next it seems to be properly reading the stats of each (ie. it isn't carrying the numbers from the last battery).

So a question for the experts - Are all seemingly 'new' replacement batteries available for iphones outside of apple refurbs? Trying to figure out if I am wasting my time trying to find an actual new one with no change cycles on it or if this is just an [redacted]issue.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If your source was selling these as new... They are being less than honest. And I would not buy from them again.

merc1212

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If your source was selling these as new... They are being less than honest. And I would not buy from them again.

Just got a response from the site I purchased these from ... I'm a little upset they didn't just tell me this the first time but I'm inclined to believe them unless someone else knows different:

"The reason that you are detecting that those batteries have high cycle numbers is because, no company is allowed to sell apple batteries. So the only way to get around this is that we use brand new lithium ion material and reuse the battery management chip. That chip was taken from an actual Apple battery and has detected over a hundred cycles in its lifetime. Please let me know if you need anything further and I would be happy to help!"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711