Is 8GB on iPhone 4S enough space?

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
i currently have an iPod Touch 5 and planning to buy an iPhone 4S. the iPod has 32gb, and i have 34 apps including the factory ones. will 8gb be enough space on the iPhone 4S?

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
re:

i currently have an iPod Touch 5 and planning to buy an iPhone 4S. the iPod has 32gb, and i have 34 apps including the factory ones. will 8gb be enough space on the iPhone 4S?

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

Definitely not. A couple apps, some photos and you are done.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

I would say it depends on what you want with your phone. I have an 8 Gb 5c because I mainly use the phone for calls and messages. I installed apps I use regularly (15+) and ditch every app I don't like 100%. It helps being sorting out the best apps for what I need to do with it and to avoid a clutter from apps I rarely or never would use.
I don't game on the phone and don't use it for music, I don't work with Pages etc, read occasionally a PDF file and that's about it.
Photos are deleted once I uploaded them.
I realize I'm a light user and prefer my tablet, ereader and DSLR most of the times.
The 5c actually has 5.9 gb instead of 8, just checked and only used 1.5 gb.
Taptalk eats the most bites of all my apps.

So yes it can be enough but it depends on how you want to use your device :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Welcome to iMore Radcliffe

It can be done but just gives you something to worry about if you want piece of mind get the biggest storage you can afford

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

I guess it will also depend on how you use your phone. There are some people that will be able to get along fine with it. Others like myself would not.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

8 is definitely not enough. 16 is just about the bare minimum for storage these days, with 32 looking to become the norm soon. I'd say go with at least a 16 GB :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

I would say it depends on what you want with your phone. I have an 8 Gb 5c because I mainly use the phone for calls and messages. I installed apps I use regularly (15+) and ditch every app I don't like 100%. It helps being sorting out the best apps for what I need to do with it and to avoid a clutter from apps I rarely or never would use.
I don't game on the phone and don't use it for music, I don't work with Pages etc, read occasionally a PDF file and that's about it.
Photos are deleted once I uploaded them.
I realize I'm a light user and prefer my tablet, ereader and DSLR most of the times.
The 5c actually has 5.9 gb instead of 8, just checked and only used 1.5 gb.
Taptalk eats the most bites of all my apps.

So yes it can be enough but it depends on how you want to use your device :)

Wow...I wish I was this disciplined with the space on my device!!!

Welcome to iMore Radcliffe According to the post I quoted, it can be done. I would never be able to survive though lol. Good Luck!!!

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

Well nikkisharif, maybe it helps I come from a Samsung Galaxy Y (LOL). That was my first cheap smart phone and I only bought it to see if I actually would use a smart phone the way they are intended. Talk about managing apps on that old phone heheh.
This year I could get the 5c 8 gb for free, a 16 gb wasn't opted, but the 5s 32 gb was, which I considered too expensive for the use it would get. I even didn't know if I would like Apple devices.
I'm happy with this phone after getting used to it, especially like the clean look of it. Actually I'm preferring IOS over Android now and I see an Ipad in my future. Who knows what my next iPhone will be.

But I think it really depends on what you want to use the phone for. If I was a busy student or could integrate it with my job, it might have been entirely different for me.

Have a great day,
Nicole
PS fyi: typed on an Android tablet, only because the larger screen makes typing easier than on the 5c

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

You could theoretically do it but you will be severely restricted and will come to hate your device. 8GB is what I would call entry level for a teenager whose parents severely restrict what is on the device. Not for an adult mainstream user.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

One more thing to consider is if you hover close to the limit of your storage it tends to react negatively with your device causing it to slow down and lag

I've seen this happen with my cousins i4 and a few others. And it limits you from updating your device OTA as well

TrystanLG

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
re:

8gb is way to small, because the op system takes about 1.2 gb roughly so your down to 6.8gb with out putting any apps or games on, and some games are over 1gb, so I think 32gb would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

vjh425

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

I would agree that 8GB is not enough. I'm barely managing with 16GB and I have no music or videos on my phone. I would get at least a 16GB, 32GB if you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Not at all. Within the 8gigs, the software alone will take at least 2-3 gigs. Leaving you with 5 gigs.
But it all depends on your usage

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

For me, 8 gb phones are only for people looking for feature phones but wanting smartphone capabilities. For example, prepaid users.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

Not for me. My wife could make do with an 8 gb iPhone. She's not an app person and has very little music. She does have a lot of photos. But Dropbox and Box will take care of that. Funny part is, her 5c has 32 gb and my 5 only 16 gb. :(

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711