Is the iPhone 4S worth buying now?

iOSX

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
It wouldn't be for myself but for a younger relative. We have T-Mobile, so there isn't a 'free' subsidized option; in fact, T-Mobile doesn't sell the 4S anymore. Would it be worth it to buy a new unlocked 16GB 4S for $250?

Last edited:

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think for $250 you can't go wrong. The 4S isn't the latest and greatest, but for a 12-year old it shouldn't matter.
However, if you want a phone that will remain up to date for the next couple years, I would suggest an iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 4s will get iOS 8. But that will most likely be the last system update for the 4s. So it should be good to go for a couple more years. I mean, there's still some using the 3GS. So...

Sent from from my iPhone 5

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
You could get an iPhone 5 for around that price range.. No reason not to fork out another 20-30 bucks.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 4s is a great device. It will get iOS 8, probably without all the features. I would check and see what you can buy an iPhone 5 for too.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just checked their website, Walmart has the iPhone 5s for $99 and 5c for $29 (not sure about GB) with two year contract on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and US Cellular....In store only. :yes:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There must be a few who still prefer that 3.5" screen. Why else would one buy a 4s, when they can get a 5c or 5s for not much more?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

hongquan

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
How do you do I am a international friends from China to America's BBS I didn't know what all rely on intelligent translation can you email me let me know about the United States apple mobile phone? thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

hongquan

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
A: hello! I am a Chinese fans love apple mobile phones In order to learn more about the apple phone I can E-mail to communicate with you. Mainly depend on translation English is poor so I want to and you know, faster that way

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just checked their website, Walmart has the iPhone 5s for $99 and 5c for $29 (not sure about GB) with two year contract on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and US Cellular....In store only. :yes:

But like Sebastian said, they are on T-Mobile. So no need for another contract (especially not a 12yo but that just my opinion).
If I were you --> Buy the 4S. It's still a great phone but keep in mind that the "new / unlocked" ones are usually limited to 8GB. If your brother plans to install a lot of Apps he'll regret it. In that case you might want to buy a used / unlocked 16GB or go for the iPhone 5.

Kind regards,

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
But like Sebastian said, they are on T-Mobile. So no need for another contract (especially not a 12yo but that just my opinion).
If I were you --> Buy the 4S. It's still a great phone but keep in mind that the "new / unlocked" ones are usually limited to 8GB. If your brother plans to install a lot of Apps he'll regret it. In that case you might want to buy a used / unlocked 16GB or go for the iPhone 5.

Kind regards,

Yes I know. I'm just trying to provide different options for the OP and his brother on their quest to get an iPhone.

Tilman Mueller

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know. I'm just trying to provide different options for the OP and his brother on their quest to get an iPhone.

That's totally fine, I wasn't arguing with that Walmart Option at all, it just occurred to me that this might not be the best way for someone, that is already on a Contract. But you're right - perhaps my assumption was wrong in the first place and they are on Prepaid or so, there's no other information given anyway. So a new contract might work out after all. If they live in the US of course.

iOSX

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
That's totally fine, I wasn't arguing with that Walmart Option at all, it just occurred to me that this might not be the best way for someone, that is already on a Contract. But you're right - perhaps my assumption was wrong in the first place and they are on Prepaid or so, there's no other information given anyway. So a new contract might work out after all. If they live in the US of course.

I have postpaid but T-Mobile doesn't subsidize phones, instead you have to pay the entire cost in monthly installments ($27/mo for 5S, $23/mo for 5C).

And switching to Verizon or AT&T would end up costing more in the long run than the $250 iPhone, so that's not something I'm considering.

Kind regards,

16GB it is.

Last edited:

abidan2000

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a verizon 16gb iphone 4s off ebay from a company called gazelle-store for $154.19 Verizon iPhones 4/4s with clean ESN can be used on tracfone at about $103/year. I do minimal calling and mostly use mine on my own wifi, And as long as I can get on with wifi, I can free call with free calling apps. (no bidding, Buy it now!)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711