Is the 4S still a good phone?

Metro1088

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 4S is still a really good phone. However buying an iPhone with only 8 gigabytes of memory is something I advice against. You can't have a decent experience with such a low memory.

zdn1042

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the iPhone 4S is still a good phone. And I'd still recommend it to my friends considering they're aware of the pros and cons that goes with it.

I actually had the opportunity to get my sister's old 4S then give up my iPod Touch 5 but decided not to since I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen. I usually watch videos, play games, do some light reading so the bigger the screen, the better.

gagetbOy

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I am using an 64 GB iPhone 4S that I bought for 200 bucks on eBay and so far so good I don't have any problems with it that aren't iOS related and honestly I like the 3:2 aspec better than the 16:9 better

gagetbOy

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
It should the only reason it wouldn't is if Apple has some vendetta against it though the hardware should be capable of it. I can say this without hesitation due to the fact that Apple is still selling the phone and other hardware that have the same silicon the A5 it's in the iPad 2, original mini, Apple TV, and 5th gen iPod all of which are still being sold by apple

phonegeek98

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Got it today I love it
betujydu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reagank

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4S is my daily driver. Mine has survived numerous drops, still has great battery life (if you stop the Facebook app from doing background updates, and runs iOS 7 very well considering it has an A5.

mohammed saeed2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I love my 4s , since 2 yrs been using it , the only thing i hate abt it is its battery !! Worst battery live ever u can imagine !! I charge it twice or more daily ,, but overall its good phone

HarryMTorres

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes in my opinion I think the 4s is excellent. I'm not up for contract and I don't have the funds to drop on a 5/5s/5c. Whats also to consider is, there's two of us, so whenever there's a phone purchase made, its always x2.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 4S was a good phone and if you got it when it was new, like I did, or when it was in it's $99 phase then it is perfectly passable for the less than 12 month period you'll have left before an upgrade. Buying it now? That is just asking for a bad experience down the road. For the majority of people this phone will be their daily driver for two years unless they are on one of the carrier upgrade schemes that are all the rage now.

I'll put it in perspective: my 4S on iOS 7 is stuttery, sometimes slow to respond, and was starting to make me wonder if iOS was the way to go if 7 was so damn crappy. Now, I knew it had a lot to do with my hardware, but still - it wasn't translating well. Then last week I got my iPad Air. Thing is a beast. iOS 7 flies on it and it is the same internals as the 5S (just clocked slightly higher) and only a little ahead of the 5C. Compared to my 4S? I didn't know iOS 7 was actually this damn good. Point being that buying the past and expecting it to serve you well in the future is asking for either frustration on your end or frustrating calls from relatives when the next software update comes out. The phone is merely passable right now if you pull it out of a box - it won't even be that in a year.

And unless you're a fringe case that needs a lot of storage on the pre-8GB contract model or you have a family of five I don't understand the cost factor very much if you're in the states. Radioshack is currently offering the 5C for $50(!). If you can afford a US data plan every month I have to believe that a $50 5C isn't that much of a jump as long as you're fine with waiting for the right sale.

My verdict? Love my 4S for what it is but would never recommend it to anyone except fringe cases who either need the best $-per-GB ratio or who will only ever make calls and texts...but even then the right sale can solve that problem.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
For me, I wouldn't consider buying an iphone4s at this juncture, not when for a little more, I get a substantially better 5s which is also assured of more upgrades. Much less be locked into it for 2 years.

For one, 8gb is woefully inadequate for my needs.

That said, if I were given a 4s to use (say handed down by a parent who upgrades), I would be pretty contended using it, in that it still lets me access most of the features accessible to IOS.

For one, I find that IOS7 still runs quite smoothly on my 4s (which I am still hanging on to even after upgrading to a 5s, I just can't bear to sell it). Its dual-core processor allows it to multitask and handle graphics fairly well, it sports Siri (which Apple is starting to really put an emphasis on - it's pretty accurate these days, and I find myself using it more and more). It still has a 8mp camera. I still get the full library of IOS apps, and most will run smoothly on it. Plus all the goodies of the Apple ecosystem, like 3g FaceTime, turn by turn for maps etc.

I lose 4g, apps will load a tad slower, but nothing I can't live without. In that context, yes, the 4s is still a pretty solid smartphone even by today's standards, but I wouldn't spend my money on one.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I couldn't use the 4S by today's smartphone standards, the main reason being no 4G LTE connectivity. Pretty much everywhere around here has great 4G LTE, and it's kind of hard to go back once you've experienced it.

For the simple user, the non power user, the grandma who hates technology, or the kid who wants a phone, I'd say this is a good phone for them. I think it's safe to say it'll get iOS8, so that should give it another year of relevance. So, by all means, if you fall into one of those categories and can't afford a 5C, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Clark4

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had several people stop me on the street to sat that phone is the best size, referring to my iPhone 4. It's a little laggy but it gets the job done.

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I like mine , on virgin mobile prepaid, but had to recently drop the phone service since now have son in college. but still use it as an Ipod touch , check emails , viggle and with pinger app can still make calls. if I stop using viggle I may end up selling it , but still give it a thumbs up as a good phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR