Blackscreen. Burnt digitizer/motherboard?

wendy3730

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I was making a call when the screen turned black. I could still feel the phone vibrate and it would make that sound when I plugged it in. I thought it was the digitizer but when I opened it, the motherboard smelled kind of burnt.
I've always had cheap phone, this is my first Iphone so I really don't know much. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can fix it myself. Am I shooting too far?

Should I order the motherboard or digitizer?

Thanks guys!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!
Unfortunately, I don't have a warranty anymore. Should I take it to the local phone fixing place?
Call the Apple Store and ask how much would it cost to replace it and then compare it to the cost of a local repair shop. If Apple's price is comparable, go with Apple. Also, depending on your financial situation, it may be more prudent to get a 5C or 5S via subsidy.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Call the Apple Store and ask how much would it cost to replace it and then compare it to the cost of a local repair shop. If Apple's price is comparable, go with Apple. Also, depending on your financial situation, it may be more prudent to get a 5C or 5S via subsidy.

If I recall correctly, an out of warranty swap/replacement from an Apple store is in the $125-150 range. It’s been a while, though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly, an out of warranty swap/replacement from an Apple store is in the $125-150 range. It?s been a while, though.

I was thinking the same thing earlier, but couldn't remember the price range. I want to say it would be the equivalent of its current subsidy price.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I was making a call when the screen turned black. I could still feel the phone vibrate and it would make that sound when I plugged it in. I thought it was the digitizer but when I opened it, the motherboard smelled kind of burnt.
I've always had cheap phone, this is my first Iphone so I really don't know much. I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I can fix it myself. Am I shooting too far?

Should I order the motherboard or digitizer?

Thanks guys!

It's prob just the LCD and digitizer although seems strange .. You can replace it yourself if you feel you can handle it check out the repair guides on ifixit .. If not a local shop should be around 70 bucks .. FYI the digitizer and LCD are all one piece.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner