4S won't sync or charge after upgrading to iOS 7

Nathan Galvez

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to iOS 7 and now my 4S won't recognize any usb interaction whatsoever. I've updated iTunes and it still won't sync. It will charge, but only when the device is off. When it is on, there is no recognition by my computer or the phone that the usb is interacting. I'm using the official cord that came with the phone. I could sync via wifi, but it won't find it via usb. I have tried hard reboots, full resets and DFU mode. No response from anything. I have tried several cables, wall plugs and usb ports, all to no avail. Any ideas? Since my full reset, I can't access my backup anymore because it's in iTunes instead of iCloud.

Help! :concern:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're absolutely certain that the problem is not hardware-related (bad USB port), go ahead and turn off your iPhone 4S as well as reboot your computer. Afterwards, download a fresh copy of iTune 11.1 and re-install it. Connect your iPhone 4S to it via USB and see if it will recognize it. If it does, great, but if not, you might want to consider making a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store. Also, try connecting the iPhone to a friend's computer to see whether or not it gets recognized. If it does then you know the problem probably lies with your computer.

Nathan Galvez

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've tried in several computers and wall chargers to no avail. Alas, I'm afraid that a trip to the genius bar is indeed in my future. Oh to live in a town where I don't have to drive an hour and a half to get to the nearest Apple store. Thanks for your help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've tried in several computers and wall chargers to no avail. Alas, I'm afraid that a trip to the genius bar is indeed in my future. Oh to live in a town where I don't have to drive an hour and a half to get to the nearest Apple store. Thanks for your help!
You're very welcome, and I understand. Still, that is a trip worth taking, in my opinion. Gotta get that device working. Heck, I'd let them know how far you had to drive. You never know. The trip may end up being beneficial to you...:)

propflux01

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever get a cure for this? Both mine and my wife's IPhone 4S are doing the exact same thing... Happened after updating to IOS7. Have seen others with this issue as well while searching the web for a cure, so it does appear software related. Any help would be appreciated.

nickyjt

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Can I ask, did it stop charging immediately after downloading ios7? I downloaded it the other week and yesterday my phone just stopped charging. I have tried different chargers but nothing has worked. Can anyone offer any advice?

Dodo1234

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this helps, but I experienced a similar issue with my iPad 2 after updating to iOS 7.

My "solution" to the problem, after pulling out my hair for hours, is to plug it in the wall charger, and then shut the iPad down completely. It does charge when turned off, although a bit slower than usual, or so it seems. Pheeew...:) I realize that this is a pain if you have a problem with an iPhone, because you have to turn it off to charge it. Presuming that this works, of course. Otherwise, I don't know..

After the update, the iPad simply does not respond when i plug in the charger, nor does it connect to the USB port. The battery just keeps wearing down. I think it could be connected to the firmware change that iOS 7 brings, which I guess in itself has to do with Apple wanting to block out 3rd party manufacturers of power adapters of the new "lightning" type.

The only thing I can think of that might have gone wrong on my part concerning the update is that I didn't have it plugged in while installing the update - although I believe this is recommended from Apple. I'm thinking that in my case the new firmware update simply hasn't registered any adapter present upon installation, and that might have caused the iPad to not recognize an adapter at all, regardless of type. I have always used original Apple adapters, btw, so I'm not really guilty of anything other than not plugging it in while updating - or, at least that's my own theory. Which is better than no theory at all.. ;-)

Obviously, I'm waiting eagerly for Apple to solve this issue. Not really happy at all with this..

grant morse

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
my 4s was also fine until i installed iOS 7 i have found that it will charge off the 12 dash charger in my truck but otherwise if i try my dock or regular usb charge cable i get device not supported