Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MERCDROID
  • 1 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By SaberSerene
  • 1 Post By Fausty82
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default The free 4S will be an 8GB

I know that we all saw that the iPhone 4S would be dropping to free on contract. I just got an E-Mail from Apple with some sales stuff in it for work and it said that an iPhone 4S 8GB version will be available on the 20th. That is going to be the free device on contract. Just a fun fact for ya.
    The energy of the mind is the essence of life.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID (09-10-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,107 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default Re: The free 4S will be an 8GB

Makes sense. Same thing they did with the iPhone 4, 3Gs and 3G. Apple just following their model from over the years.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

That's a great deal, considering that most (maybe all?) of the other phones that are free on contract are crap, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    iRy757 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

The 4s comes with an 8g ?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,107 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jrome.brooks View Post
    Yes. They downgraded to 8gb but it will be free. Still a good deal
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Not as of yet. The 4S will only be available with 8GB storage come Sept. 20.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 09-10-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Deleted attachment at the request of the OP
    The energy of the mind is the essence of life.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID (09-10-2013)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

The "free" iPhone has historically been an 8GB version of the device 2 generations behind the current flagship...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The Apple website confirms the pricing and the storage.

Thanked by:
    iRy757 (09-10-2013), MERCDROID (09-10-2013)
    MERCDROID likes this.
    iMore Pro

Not a deal at all. With the phone os taking up space the 8GB is more of a 6GB.
    wildmangk likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaberSerene View Post
    Not a deal at all. With the phone os taking up space the 8GB is more of a 6GB.
    Most, actually all, of my friends that have iPhones only have music and pics stored, anyway. I have about 500 mp3s on my Nexus 4, and that only uses about 2-3GB of space. Also, with a lot of people using music streaming apps, there's less of a need to have massive amounts of storage. In my opinion, 6GB is probably more than enough, for the average consumer.

To be able to leave a carrier store, with a capable handset that provides a great experience, for FREE... Kinda hard to see how that's not a great deal.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display

Global Posts
    10,210 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks guys. I didn't realize there was an 8GB 4S.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    Thanks guys. I didn't realize there was an 8GB 4S.
    There wasn’t. Until now. The previous "free" iPhone was the 8GB iPhone 4. Before that it was the 8GB iPhone 3G S.
    pr1nce likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

8 GB With an 8mp camera and 1080p video is going to suck. I remember 16 gigs filled up crazy fast with the 4s I don't even want to think about how fast an 8gb will fill up. Better keep your laptop handy if you intend on using the camera app. PSA over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ernbrdn View Post
    8 GB With an 8mp camera and 1080p video is going to suck. I remember 16 gigs filled up crazy fast with the 4s I don't even want to think about how fast an 8gb will fill up. Better keep your laptop handy if you intend on using the camera app. PSA over.

The 4S has none of that's. It's a 5mp camera with 720p recording.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Yeah 8gb is crap. I have a 16gb iPhone 4, and it is full... I have to juggle and delete stuff pretty often to put any new content on her. I was hoping they'd keep at least the 16gb 4S, as I was going to buy an unlocked one for $450... but I'm not gonna spend that kind of money on 8gb.

Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    The 4S has none of that's. It's a 5mp camera with 720p recording.

Not what Apple says.

"8MP iSight camera with HD video recording.
    Advanced optics, a custom lens, and an 8-megapixel sensor let you capture high-quality photos. And you can shoot beautiful movies in full 1080p HD."
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    Yeah 8gb is crap. I have a 16gb iPhone 4, and it is full... I have to juggle and delete stuff pretty often to put any new content on her. I was hoping they'd keep at least the 16gb 4S, as I was going to buy an unlocked one for $450... but I'm not gonna spend that kind of money on 8gb.

Not what Apple says.

"8MP iSight camera with HD video recording.
    Advanced optics, a custom lens, and an 8-megapixel sensor let you capture high-quality photos. And you can shoot beautiful movies in full 1080p HD."
    You're right! I remember when I upgraded to the 4S, that was one of the reasons why.

iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,141 Global Posts

I really don't think 8gb will be enough for most people, especially over the life of a 2 year contract. I bought a 8gb iPhone 4 on Sprint last summer when I broke my Pre 2 & needed a new phone right away. It was only $50 at Best Buy, and I had a $50 gift card, so I was like, I'll take it!

Man, did those 8 gigs fill up fast. It got so tiresome trying to micro-manage the space too. Constantly monitoring the photos I wanted to keep on the phone, the music I wanted on it, which apps to update. Sometimes I wouldn't even update apps because I had no space. Another drawback was that whenever apple pushed out an update, I would have to update the phone via iTunes, because there wasn't enough available memory to do it OTA.

The final straw for me was when I was at a friends wedding, and was recording a video and the phone ran out of memory. By the time I deleted some pics to free up space, I missed the moment I was trying to record. Not too long after that, I went on eBay and bought a 64gb iPhone 5 off contract. Couldn't be happier.
    Don't you just love Smartphone/Tablet email signatures?...

-- Sent from my Nexus S Prime 3D 4G S Running Android Ice Cream Sundae with Terminator/T1000 GPS tracking on...The Now Network - Powered by SkyNet!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Everyone is bagging on the 8GB "free" iPhone... but in case you haven’t been paying attention, the "free" iPhone has been an 8GB version all along. This is nothing new, and it’s certainly not a surprise. To anyone. The 3G was an 8GB version. The 3GS was an 8GB version and the iPhone 4 is/was an 8GB model. So now, the 4S will be, too.

Had a 16g 4s , which wasn't enough space, 8g would be tough
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines

Global Posts
    10,210 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Different strokes for different folks. I have a 16gb 4s. I still have over 10gb of space remaining. I'm sure 8gb will work for some. I'm thinking about getting one for my wife.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Everyone is bagging on the 8GB "free" iPhone... but in case you haven’t been paying attention, the "free" iPhone has been an 8GB version all along. This is nothing new, and it’s certainly not a surprise. To anyone. The 3G was an 8GB version. The 3GS was an 8GB version and the iPhone 4 is/was an 8GB model. So now, the 4S will be, too.
    I think the difference is, in my opinion, that the older iPhones, 3G, 3GS, and 4... were available as 8gb models... The 4S was never available as a 8gb model. 16gb was as small as they came. So, it just feels like a rip to intentionally reduce the storage capacity now that it is the "free" model, that isn't free if you want it unlocked. $450 for a sandbagged 8gb 4S is a rip.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    I think the difference is, in my opinion, that the older iPhones, 3G, 3GS, and 4... were available as 8gb models... The 4S was never available as a 8gb model. 16gb was as small as they came. So, it just feels like a rip to intentionally reduce the storage capacity now that it is the "free" model, that isn't free if you want it unlocked. $450 for a sandbagged 8gb 4S is a rip.
    I am certain that the iPhone 4 was not available in the 8GB version prior to the introduction of the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4's ultimate relegation to the "bargain bid".

However, this whole thing quickly becomes a financial issue... vote with your wallet and simply don’t do the deal. Scrounge up the $99 to go with the iPhone 5C.

Global Posts
    10,210 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I am certain that the iPhone 4 was not available in the 8GB version prior to the introduction of the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4's ultimate relegation to the "bargain bid".

However, this whole thing quickly becomes a financial issue... vote with your wallet and simply don’t do the deal. Scrounge up the $99 to go with the iPhone 5C.
    Not that it matters. I thought the iPhone 4 was available in 8gb.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

For the record I wasn't bagging on it merely making an observation. The fact if the matter is the demographic the 4s is targeted at now 8 gig will probably believe than enough, what do flip phones usually come with? 256 Megs? 8GB is a huge step up, if your moving from another smartphone to the 4S 8gb I would just suggest saving $99 bucks for the 5C or you might not get the experience your deserve.

Sent through time and space via NSA Prism proxy for your adulterated viewing pleasure.