Stuck Power Button
Inexplicably, yesterday the power (upper) button on my 4S just quit working - unable to press it and turn the screen off without waiting the one minute before it turns off on its own. Genius Bar let me know it was out of warranty (purchased October 2011) and I wasn't interested in a 5 at this point, pending the potential fall releases.
Any tricks anyone's seen for restoring the button? I'm thinking a bit of rubbing alcohol and a swab, to try to dislodge what might be stuck under it.
- 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM #2
Re: Stuck Power Button
The iMore Blog has information about this that you may find useful. Check it out via the following link. iPhone DIY repair: Ultimate guide to fixing stuck or broken power buttons | iMore.com
- 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM #3
- 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM #4
Re: Stuck Power Button
Untill you can get it fixed, the tips in the following link can be used as a temp workaround for the power button issue:
How to Turn Off an iPhone Without the Power Button | Help For Beginners
Also here are a few things that you can try first without getting it fixed professionally:
Try a few different manual repair techniques. If you don’t have time to take it into your local Apple retail store or even send it off for repairs, then you need a quick, temporary fix. There’s a few different manual repair techniques to free the iPhone’s power button from its stuck position you can try.
You can use canned air to blow into the space around the power button to try to loosen any obstruction keeping the power button stuck. You can also try to loosen the blockage with fine bristles, such as those from a toothbrush. If it’s still stuck, you can try the following step.
1. Press the “Home” button on your iPhone and slide the “Unlock” bar all the way to the right to unlock your iPhone.
2. Press down the top, right-hand corner of the iPhone’s faceplate down with some pressure. Don’t add too much pressure, as this may cause the screen to crack, but enough pressure to where you can feel the faceplate bend a little. Pressing this part of the phone will move the button a bit so that it is able to make contact with the keys inside when you press it.
3. Press the “Power” button and the iPhone should lock back up. If this doesn’t work, do not apply more pressure; simply take the iPhone to be fixed as soon as you can.
- 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM #6
- 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM #7
- 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM #8
- By Mario Oliveira in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & ModsReplies: 2Last Post: 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
- By SSilver99 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & ModsReplies: 4Last Post: 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM
- By cybertron131 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & ModsReplies: 2Last Post: 06-23-2013, 12:00 PM
- By cybertron131 in forum iPhone 3G ForumReplies: 1Last Post: 06-23-2013, 07:03 AM
- By gameson in forum iPhone 5Replies: 14Last Post: 06-21-2013, 10:16 PM