Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By theKHMERboy
  • 1 Post By Dennisgarcia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default 4s or 5 with my upgrade?

My upgrade is this fall. I am going to wait until the 5s comes out to upgrade, but I am going to go price wise only as high as the 5 which I figure will then be around $100 with contract. My question is, is there a major difference in y'all's opinion between the 4s and the 5? The 4s will probably be a $1 then I figure. Thanks
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: 4s or 5?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlyons841 View Post
    My upgrade is this fall. I am going to wait until the 5s comes out to upgrade, but I am going to go price wise only as high as the 5 which I figure will then be around $100 with contract. My question is, is there a major difference in y'all's opinion between the 4s and the 5? The 4s will probably be a $1 then I figure. Thanks
    Not worth the 4S, the iPhone 5 will got more upgrades has a bigger screen LTE and a lower power bluetooth chip AND better battery life.

Global Posts
    14,972 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love my 4S, but if money is an issue and it comes down to the 4S or 5, I would go with a 5. It has a larger screen a slightly faster processor and will probably get more future iOS updates. The 4S is a great device though.

Just went from the 4s to the iPhone 5, for me i was the best decision. Money wise the 5 is the best choice.
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

iPhone5 of course, in just few months 5s will be released so I think 4s will be a little old. whew!
    Thanked by:
    cbrad0521MORE (05-29-2013)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Will the 5s have stuff comparable to the Galaxy 4s?like wave over to answer vs having to touch screen? Anyone know?

BB, Colleen
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

I think if u wanna upgrade to an iPhone make sence to get the newest one no? And yeah the iPhone 5 is gonna get more upgrades in the future maybe even a new iOS unless you willing to wait for the 5s
    Thanked by:
    cbrad0521MORE (05-29-2013)
    Residing likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

The big plus for me was LTE and a better camera (if i remember correctly). But there's no LTE in my area so honestly, getting a 5 would not be worth it. That's for me. May be different for others.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

When do they think 5s is coming & what will be the new features?

BB, Colleen
    iMore Pro

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Usually most iPhones are good for about 3 or years so if you still wanna be able to upgrade your os in the future I would suggest you upgrade to the iPhone 5 or just spend the extra 100 and get the 5S I heard it may have a 14 mega pixel camera and a touch sensitive home button instead of the actual home button with finger scanner.
    cbrad0521MORE likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbrad0521MORE View Post
    When do they think 5s is coming & what will be the new features?

BB, Colleen
    my guess is in the fall, same month as the 4s release. but that said, Tim Cook has said "they'll release products when they are ready." They didn't stick to the yearly cycle with the most recent ipad. But i think they'll stick to the yearly schedule after having move it now.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

The 5 would be a better option if you are short on cash, the newest device if money is not a big problem. I have a 4s, and I would be ready to upgrade when the next device comes out. I didnt think it necessary to mess around with my contract for the 5, changing your phone every two years is reasonable.

The 4s is a great option, many friends i know with the 5 say when they hold the 4s they sometimes miss it, but it would be the cheapest phone when the new one comes out, and for someone posting on here, I imagine you have a tendency to be a little more up to date.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,547 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

There is a substantial difference between the 4S and 5...but unless you have some unique discount on the contract price, the 5 is going to be $199 at minimum (or perhaps a little less during promotional spots with Best Buy or Walmart).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    There is a substantial difference between the 4S and 5...but unless you have some unique discount on the contract price, the 5 is going to be $199 at minimum (or perhaps a little less during promotional spots with Best Buy or Walmart).
    On a serious note, apart from design, and the increased screen size, how does the 5 excel where the 4s doesn't? I didn't upgrade to the 5 from my 4s, but I would like to what are the biggest things I am missing out on?

In fact I went 3GS to 4S and my contracts ends this year so the next iPhone is in the pipeline for me.

Live long and prosper....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Just an fyi for anyone interested, iphone5 is currently discounted $50 at best buy . . .
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    Just an fyi for anyone interested, iphone5 is currently discounted $50 at best buy . . .
    What's that catch ??
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Default Re: 4s or 5 with my upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlyons841 View Post
    Well, if you were planning to have at least $100 dollars in the Fall, is it possible for you save an additional $100 between now and then and purchase the 5s (or whatever it will be called)?

If not, then it makes sense to get the next to newest iteration in the Fall (in this case, a iPhone 5).
    Thanked by:
    vdroide (05-30-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It will boil down to the following questions:

1) What do you want to spend?

2) What features do you want? Consider screen size, iOS future support (the 4S, for instance, may not support all iOS 7 features), battery life, form factor...

3) How long do you plan to use it?

I know for me, I'm on the "tock" schedule...meaning I had the original iPhone, then the 3G, then 3GS, then skipped the 4 for the 4S, and skipped the 5 for what's next. Definitely wait to see what is unveiled next week before deciding. You'd kick yourself if you got a 4S or 5 and Apple announces the next generation phone.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Get the 5 get it jailbroken thank me later