Can't turn on wifi

littlebecky

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Today I went to turn on my wifi when I was out and found that it was grayed out and would not let me

It was fine yesterday.

I have looked online and tried rebooting phone, resetting network settings, resetting mobile data, turning on/off airplane mode etc etc

Now this is a new handset that I had replaced last week as my other 4s had problems. So I have done a phone restore before the problem today

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Try switching to airplane mode,

power off device

Then power back on and switch airplane mode to off.

Then see if WiFi is accessible

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When you say you did a restore, do you mean from the backup you made with your old phone? If so, and that one had issues, that could be the issue.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
"my other 4s had problems. So I have done a phone restore before the problem today"

Think this is what we are confused about.

If you did a restore as the other 4s had issues, and restored from a back up, this could be the issue.

Have you tried not restoring from a back up and just setup as new iPhone and see if it works?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It didnt have a wifi problem. On my old phone the wifi worked fine

Can you take a screen shot of your Wi-Fi settings and post it here, please? Just simultaneously press the home and power button briefly. You will hear the camera's shutter and the screenshot will be in your camera roll.

littlebecky

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
It won't let me upload the pic to the post.

Also as I have said, my old iPhone did not have wifi issues, so restoring from backup would not be the problem

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It won't let me upload the pic to the post.

Also as I have said, my old iPhone did not have wifi issues, so restoring from backup would not be the problem

Okay. Well, I agree with John's advice. Connect your device to iTunes and select to restore. When complete, set it up "as new". The device should detect nearby Wi-Fi networks and prompt you to select one to join. Select yours. If it connects, great. You can either continue setting up your device (recommended) or restore from a previous backup. If restoring as new does not fix the connection problem and you're certain that your Wi-Fi router is functioning correctly then make an appointment with a nearby Apple Store to have a genius look at it and possible exchange it.

littlebecky

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I kept resetting my network settings and its just started working!
If it goes again i will restore phone as new.
Thanks for all your help guys

sjjk1

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have exactly the same problem (also my 4s is sent back to store - broken screen). Other device, restore, wifi was working, but somehow it is not now, and I cannot turn it on (it is greyed out)..

How did you reset the network settings?

Thank you

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have exactly the same problem (also my 4s is sent back to store - broken screen). Other device, restore, wifi was working, but somehow it is not now, and I cannot turn it on (it is greyed out)..

How did you reset the network settings?

Thank you

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

athrash17

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem with an iPhone 4s. I did everything recommended in this thread, nothing works. I called Apple support and they had me Backup and restore the phone, reload ios 7, and it still doesn't work. They said its a wifi hardware issue and since the phone is out of warranty it would cost $199 to replace. The phone is insured, but the deductible on that is $179, and it restarts the 2 year contract when you use the insurance. So, any other suggestions before I consider spending $199 to fix this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice