iPhone 4S Lifespan?

sandmanfvr

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Mods/admins, move this if I put it in the wrong place.

Running Windows Phone and wanted to pick up a 4S from Craigslist to run the 4S and see how it is; I had an iPhone 4 and loved it but Apple left it behind with no siri, no turn by turn etc.

I don't mind picking up the 4S to run with / play with for a while, if it lasts till the 6 comes out. I THINK the 4S might last that long if Apple stays with the normal two revisions behind. The 5 is nice, but hope to see what the 6 does and maybe even bigger screen and the rumored polycarbonate phones that are cheaper and not full aluminum.

So the question is to you ios users, thoughts and opinions (or direct rumors or facts be better) that the 4S will last one more generation?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My ex was using a 3GS up until just recently when he dropped it one too many times and it started to go downhill.

If you take care of the phone, I see no reason why it wouldn't last. My 4s still works as well today as it did when I first got it out of the box in October 2011.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I've had my 4s since just after its release. It still performs well, even after 2 jailbreaks & restores.

My only advice is if you think you're going to need a 32gb version vs a 16gb, get the 32. These things like to have some room to breathe with memory.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I sold my 3GS to a friend almost 2 years ago and she's still using it. If anything newer models are more durable IMO.

sandmanfvr

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I was asking about any rumors that ios 7 will also hit the 4s? I know the phones are great, had the 4, but apple didn't push features back on the 4. I know many don't know, but I figure the 4s will get at least one more round of the ios updates and then be good till the 6. Just wondering, but yeah the 3gs was awesome my friend used one for years till it crapped out and got a 5.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I was asking about any rumors that ios 7 will also hit the 4s? I know the phones are great, had the 4, but apple didn't push features back on the 4. I know many don't know, but I figure the 4s will get at least one more round of the ios updates and then be good till the 6. Just wondering, but yeah the 3gs was awesome my friend used one for years till it crapped out and got a 5.

Good question, but I haven't even heart for sure if its going to be the 5s or 6.

sandmanfvr

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the 4 and the 4S will both get iOS 7. After all the 3GS got iOS 6.

But the older phones won't necessarily get all the features in the iOS 7 depending on whether the hardware can support them (or some other mysterious Apple reasoning). Without knowing what the new features will be, it's hard to predict whether a given phone will support them.

Yeah I agree, I think (personal prediction) that the 4s will be good for a round of new features and then time to retire it so to speak.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
More than likely where previously stated iOS 7 would hope to hit the 4S and of course like anything you buy from Craig's list it all depends on the complete condition of it from the person you are buying it from. Ask if you can go with him to the carrier to have it checked ou.

You are assuming that a 6 will come out instead of a 5S and of course we would hope the ultimate would be iPhone 6 w/ IOS 7. Until anything right now it is rumor but good luck with your venture on the 4S if you go for it. Come back and let us know if you get it.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4S is a very capable device, note that MOST of the features from the iPhone 5 were included in the 4S (Siri, Panorama, etc.) & the iPad mini & iPod touch 5G were released with the A5 chip from the iPhone 4S, so my estimate is that Apple will keep it current software-wise until the iPhone 6S at the very least - Two 'S' generations later, if you like (minus some new features of course, without exclusive features to the new model, Apple wouldn't give consumers much reason to upgrade, & that's just bad capitalism)

Just on the topic of the 'S' generations, as a side note, there's been a lot of speculation around what the 'S' stands for. In the 3GS & 4S respectively, both models were significantly faster than their predecessors, so it makes sense that the iPhone 5s will just get a spec bump & a couple of core features, while the iPhone 4 & upwards get iOS 7.

That's my 2 cents worth, anyway :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
The 4S will likely see two big OS revisions. Just how the 3GS has handled updates... Yes.. There will be a day where it will get excluded... But it's nature of technology.

michaelpri

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I am in a similar situation. Just getting into first smartphone and considering the 4S on a contract. I tend to like the size better but am wondering if this is a 2+ year smart choice at this time.

michaelpri

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
That is a great idea however not knowing a great deal about cell phones I am very skeptical about buying used. I have no real idea what to look for and am at least 1.5 hrs from the nearest apple store.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am in a similar situation. Just getting into first smartphone and considering the 4S on a contract. I tend to like the size better but am wondering if this is a 2+ year smart choice at this time.

Not at all. If you're going to get an iPhone- get the latest model. The hardware will last a lot longer than going with an older device.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

At this point I'd go with the iPhone 5 on a two year contract.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. If you're going to get an iPhone- get the latest model. The hardware will last a lot longer than going with an older device.

You're forgetting to account for the user.

The poster looking for advice is JUST getting into smart phones. Being on the top end of tech is obviously not a priority. Apple has set a foundation of keeping devices for a while. Looking at a cost analysis, the poster may be making a smart decision by taking the 4s on contract.

I'm not sure if you understand hardware at all. By getting the 4s on contract, they would be getting a new phone, not a used phone. There's no reason to think the hardware will last long enough for you to suggest it's "not [smart] at all" for them to look at the 4s versus the 5.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You're forgetting to account for the user.

The poster looking for advice is JUST getting into smart phones. Being on the top end of tech is obviously not a priority. Apple has set a foundation of keeping devices for a while. Looking at a cost analysis, the poster may be making a smart decision by taking the 4s on contract.

I'm not sure if you understand hardware at all. By getting the 4s on contract, they would be getting a new phone, not a used phone. There's no reason to think the hardware will last long enough for you to suggest it's "not [smart] at all" for them to look at the 4s versus the 5.

I understand hardware and believe that getting a 4S (a non-LTE device) on a two- year contract at this late date is not ideal. We can agree to disagree, of course.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand hardware and believe that getting a 4S (a non-LTE device) on a two- year contract at this late date is not ideal. We can agree to disagree, of course.

For you and me, I'd agree. LTE was the driving force behind my upgrade to the 5.

I'm just saying it's a bit misleading to tell them it's not a smart decision "at all" based on the factors that mean more to you. They can make a more informed decision based on their own if you explain factors important to you and let them decide which are important to them.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The 4s will get updates it will have similar life like the 4 /3gs the 4s is a very solid device i wouldn't mind getting it a discounted price because the build quality is great ( better than the 5) and its not going to freeze and glitch like adroid phones will do after there out of style

All up in ya using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW