Using iCloud with Photos

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, new member here so I must ask for your patience. I am an Android user so I know next to nothing about Apple products.
My wife has an iPhone 4s and an iPad 1 on ios 5.1.1.
She would like to share photos from iPhone to iPad without involving a computer (if possible). Furthermore, she only has 2 gigs of data per month so would like the photos to transfer from phone to ipad when phone is on wifi, never when phone is using paid data. My wife is even less techy than I so for this to be useful it must happen automatically without need for her to do anything, not even tap a button.

Is it possible to set it up this way? If so how?

Again, I thank you for your patience. I have searched but cannot find anything about how to do what I am describing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Assisting you is important to us and there are times when the members of this community who can best provide you with assistance to your particular issue or concern may not be available at the time of your post so please be patient while awaiting a reply. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the various sections of the iMore forum as well as the iMore Blog and check back periodically for a reply to your post. Thank you.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I'm clueless so have no choice but to be patient! LOL

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but is there a wifi only option like in Android? We'd go broke in data charges if icloud shared in 3G.

If we did a factory reset in iphone would photos still be available on the ipad?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new member here so I must ask for your patience.
It is our hope to be of service to you.
I am an Android user so I know next to nothing about Apple products.
We won't hold that against you, sir...:)...Seriously, many of the iMore community are also current & former Android users.
My wife has an iPhone 4s and an iPad 1 on ios 5.1.1.
She would like to share photos from iPhone to iPad without involving a computer (if possible).
She can do that with iCloud. You can read about iCloud HERE, but in summary, it allows you to sync devices wirelessly.
Furthermore, she only has 2 gigs of data per month so would like the photos to transfer from phone to ipad when phone is on wifi, never when phone is using paid data. My wife is even less techy than I so for this to be useful it must happen automatically without need for her to do anything, not even tap a button.

Is it possible to set it up this way? If so how?
Yes, this can be accomplished with Photostream
Again, I thank you for your patience. I have searched but cannot find anything about how to do what I am describing.

You're very welcome.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I saw that and called vzw tech support to verify but they only referred me to apple. apple wouldn't talk to me because i don't have a service plan. I will take the chance and keep an eye on her data numbers. Thanks again!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367880197.514895.jpg

Here is a screen shot. It says right below the toggle for photo stream that it will send photos to iCloud when connected to wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Set up PhotoStream and then go into Settings, usage, cellular usage, and select the option to reset statistics. Then turn off wifi and take some photos. Wait a while and see if they get transferred to photo stream and/or monitor your cellular usage stats.
Karen along with what you and Justin said should he not also have the iCloud Control Panel on his Mac/PC and choose Photo Stream. Every time I take pics and get out of the camera app I come home and log on to the control panel and make sure I am on Wi Fi and in no time they are synced from my Camera roll to my Photostream folder on my PC.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
That's a good idea to, but OP was requesting something that didn't involve a PC. But eventually they will have to come off of the iDevice(s), and your suggestion is correct.

You say eventually have to take pics off idevices. Why?

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh I forgot to ask the most important question I iCloud with Photostream free?

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to get all the photos in my camera roll on my iphone to upload to photostream as well as the new ones? I signed in on ipad and iphone but none of the old photos are being transferred.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm all signed in to photostream on ipad & iphone but no photos uploaded. There are 103 photos on phone and 30 taken in last 30 days. Same user id and password. Nothing in istream folder on either device?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm all signed in to photostream on ipad & iphone but no photos uploaded. There are 103 photos on phone and 30 taken in last 30 days. Same user id and password. Nothing in istream folder on either device?

If both devices are connected to Wi-Fi, give it some time, the photos will sync. Just let the devices go into sleep mode and check the photos in a few minutes or so.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If both devices are connected to Wi-Fi, give it some time, the photos will sync. Just let the devices go into sleep mode and check the photos in a few minutes or so.

They were both connected to wifi all night long.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

When do photos upload to My Photo Stream?

When you enable My Photo Stream on your devices, all new photos you take or import to those devices will be automatically added to your photo stream.

On an iOS device, new photos you take will be automatically uploaded to your photo stream when you leave the Camera app and are connected to Wi-Fi. Note: My Photo Stream does not push photos over cellular connections.

On your Mac, any new photos you import to iPhoto or Aperture will begin uploading automatically when you have a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. Or, you can change your iPhoto or Aperture preferences so that only photos you manually add to My Photo Stream are uploaded.

On a PC with iCloud Control Panel 2.0 or later, open a Windows Explorer window. Select Photo Stream under Favorites. Open My Photo Stream. Click the "Add photos" button. Select photos to import to My Photo Stream, and then click Open.

According to that above, iCloud/Photo Stream only deals with new pictures after you enable Photo Stream.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

According to that above, iCloud/Photo Stream only deals with new pictures after you enable Photo Stream.

Yes. This was driving me crazy a while back until I saw this. Only new photos will stream after enabling photo stream. It's not like google plus or Dropbox where you can have it pull in all photos or a selected few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I also wonder if the fact the iphone was connected to charger all night prevented the upload? I read on apple support forums a thread in which users said all of their photos uploaded the first time they connected then only new ones thereafter. How would I know if photos on iphone and ipad are set up to upload automatically or if I have to move them to the istream folder? I guess I was stupid not to take a picture to test it. I just thought pics would all upload overnight. There's no "upload" button right? Under settings icloud istream is listed as on on both devices.

I also noticed when I connect the iphone to my pc I can copy photos to computer as though phone is a flash drive but the ipad doesn't show up at all under my computer. It only syncs with itunes.

Rousell Wall

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods