Is the Weather Widget Dead?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I noticed that my weather widget was stuck in Reno. I did all the turn off location services, then reboot, then turn back on. I got a blank when location services were on, and my home weather when they were off. For over a week now, my widget has been stuck at my work location, but it also hasn't been updating (I thought it odd when it showed 39 all the time!). I still wondered if was only me, when my son asked me why his iPhone 4 was always showing him Reno weather. Sure enough, all four of us in the family (three 4s and one 4), all running 6.1.1, all have stuck weather widgets.

Is the weather widget dead?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's likely a Yahoo issue - since that's where the Apple stock weather app & the "widget" in the notification center fetch data. It's been slow to refresh for me lately... other weather apps are spot-on with location based data retrieval.

dbcel

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I never trust Yahoo! for weather, there have been many times for me when the weather is quite off. (I'm in Toronto)

wschloss

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
My CT weather in notifications has been very slow (like 10 minutes IF at all) to update for a couple months, but the location is correct and when I tap to enter the app it updates immediately (I think). Very annoying, but it feels more like a source problem than an iOS issue (on my third iPhone in 5 years). To be honest I use NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration with a home screen icon (for my zip) instead. Opens in Safari, very readable in landscape, and fast, with more information and presumably more accurate and better modelling than weather.com and others—good sattelite. I have at least 8 different weather apps but I use NOAA in iPhone5 safari 99% of the time. For severe weather I have Red Cross Hurricane alerts (they update in any severe event including anticipated snow). Hope it helps.

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue when I goto my mothers house. We all have iPhones in our family and at mums house none of us can get the weather on Apple's weather app. For some reason Singleton in NSW, Australia just doesn't come up with weather. I went to Yahoo's site as I know Apple use Yahoo and the web browser found Singleton. All my purchased weather apps found it also. I think it has something to do with the GPS because we she is out in the country GPS can't seem to find us.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Ever since you posted this I started using the stock weather app and widget. Mine occasionally updates. Every once in while it will update then it will stay the same. I've since switched back to using Haze and eWeather HD. eWeather has always been my go to weather app. Amazing app. If you haven't already I'd suggest trying it out. It really is awesome.