Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default hacking my texts?

I have received a 'questionable' text on my iphone 4s which appeared on screen with the standard feint line above it denoting it was sent (or received?) as a message not an iMessage. Then a subsequent text from the same person had a line above it denoting it was sent as a standard iMessage. It appeared in the normal thread of texts from a particular friend. The friend agreed they sent the later iMessage after I had queried the first text, but absolutely denies sending the text that appeared as a message not an iMessage.

My questions are: how likely is it that someone other than my friend could have hacked into my friend's or my phone to send the text so that it appears to have come from him, or was it really from him; if an incoming text appears as a message not an iMessage does it denote the situation with the sender or with the recipient; and if a text is sent verbally via Siri, would it appear on the recipient's screen as an iMessage or a message i.e. could this questionable text denoted as a message, have been a Siri-directed text?

The implications of this are really important to me and i would appreciate a response from someone more technically able than I. Many thanks.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: hacking my texts?

The text showing up as a standard SMS instead of an iMessage means that one of you did not have data at some point. No telling which one - so there is no way to lay blame.

As for hacking into your phones...are either of you that important? I don't say that to be snide, just that it's not a parlor trick, so someone would have to really want to do it.
    Thanked by:
    susiep (01-11-2013)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you for your reply.
    No neither of us is that important but when confronted with an absolute denial that the text had been sent by the other person ("I'm totally baffled"!!!) - and in honesty, the content of the text looks like it should have definitely been sent to someone else and not me - I didn't have sufficient tech know-how to counter the assertion! I'm aware of the blue/green differentiation with messages sent, but didn't know that they appeared differently when received.
    Could you clarify if a text sent by Siri would be identifiable from a typed text, on the recipient's screen?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by susiep View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    No neither of us is that important but when confronted with an absolute denial that the text had been sent by the other person ("I'm totally baffled"!!!) - and in honesty, the content of the text looks like it should have definitely been sent to someone else and not me - I didn't have sufficient tech know-how to counter the assertion! I'm aware of the blue/green differentiation with messages sent, but didn't know that they appeared differently when received.
    Could you clarify if a text sent by Siri would be identifiable from a typed text, on the recipient's screen?
    If I had to guess, I'd say your friend sent YOU a text that was intended for someone else, and they are now embarrassed by the mistake (I'm guessing it was something racy or rude?) so they are claiming they didn't send it.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

Spot on Massie, but the implications are far worse than had it been simply racy or rude - i wouldn't bat an eyelid about that lol!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,339 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I suppose it could be within the realm of possibility if someone was able to gain physical access to the phone, remove the SIM card, use it in their phone, and then put it back. Could explain the "SMS" versus "iMessage" thing. But it's just a possibility. (And if it was on Verizon, I don't know if the SIM card would matter since (I believe) that SIM is only for LTE data (and voice/txt is still handled on the CDMA network). I'm not very sure about that, though.)
    --
    applejosh
    Present: iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, iPhone5 32GB AT&T, iPad Air 64GB, early 2011 MBP, AppleTV 2nd Gen
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

You can spoof messages on an iPhone. (i.e. send a message from your phone but make it appear as if it cane from another phone)
    Making it a possibility.
    However it is far from likely.
    iPhone Nanite

I spoof text messages for fun all the time. I can specify a phone number to and from and send a text. So I can send you a text from your girlfriends number for instance. So fun, its why I jailbreak. Haha.
    So a text from someone may not be from that person.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

With great power comes great responsibility.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Global Posts
    7,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

A text sent by Siri would appear as any other message-I.e., green for SMS if you are out of data range (although Siri herself wouldn't work without data) or had iMessages turned off, blue for a
    standard iMessage. Siri is just using the API to send a message without needing to know if that message will be an iMessage or SMS.
    iPhone Nanite

Hey Nimravus,

IS it possible that a phone could be hacked, a message inputted like you sent it and then sent to the other person?