Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Question Cell Data: How plausible is it....

Hello All,
    I am hoping that you fine people will be able to help me with a problem that I am having. How plausible/possible is it that my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1, Jailbroken) is telling me (Settings>General>Usage>Cellular Usage) that my combined data (Cellular Network Data + Tether Data) used so far since I Reset Statistics is 137MB, but my Carrier (Bell Mobility) is telling me that I have used 256MB?
    I am only one week into my bill cycle and I am already at half of my usage allowance. I am not a heavy data user, I have trouble reaching my 500MB monthly limit on a regular basis and I use Onavo Extend and Onavo Count to help keep track of things. I also have Wi-Fi at home and I wait until I am home to download app updates. Bell had me 3GB over my plan last month which was redonkulous and now I am questioning their calculations. I can understand not trusting a third-party app to be 100% correct but I would like to assume that iOS would be the one place I could trust to tell me the truth.
    My Carrier is telling me that I cannot trust my phone and that their website (and therefore my bill) is what I should go by. They said that there is hidden data usage that the iPhone doesn't see or report, like carrier updates and other things. I want to call BS but I am hoping that there is an iPhone Master in the community that can answer whether or not it is possible that my iPhone is not reporting all of the Cellular Network Data that I am using. Or is anyone else having this issue with Bell Mobility, or maybe Onavo is messing things up...
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,062 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Default Re: Cell Data: How plausible is it....

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone_Therefore_iAm View Post
    Hello All,
    I am hoping that you fine people will be able to help me with a problem that I am having. How plausible/possible is it that my iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1, Jailbroken) is telling me (Settings>General>Usage>Cellular Usage) that my combined data (Cellular Network Data + Tether Data) used so far since I Reset Statistics is 137MB, but my Carrier (Bell Mobility) is telling me that I have used 256MB?
    I am only one week into my bill cycle and I am already at half of my usage allowance. I am not a heavy data user, I have trouble reaching my 500MB monthly limit on a regular basis and I use Onavo Extend and Onavo Count to help keep track of things. I also have Wi-Fi at home and I wait until I am home to download app updates. Bell had me 3GB over my plan last month which was redonkulous and now I am questioning their calculations. I can understand not trusting a third-party app to be 100% correct but I would like to assume that iOS would be the one place I could trust to tell me the truth.
    My Carrier is telling me that I cannot trust my phone and that their website (and therefore my bill) is what I should go by. They said that there is hidden data usage that the iPhone doesn't see or report, like carrier updates and other things. I want to call BS but I am hoping that there is an iPhone Master in the community that can answer whether or not it is possible that my iPhone is not reporting all of the Cellular Network Data that I am using. Or is anyone else having this issue with Bell Mobility, or maybe Onavo is messing things up...
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Not really anything you mention here tells anyone enough info about what your APPS are and how you use them. If you are doing alot of streaming such as Pandora Radio on 3G than you are going to use upp data fast. This is only one example. I would look on what apps you have, How you are using them that stream content which is usually the typical hog of data.

If anyone else would like to add to this thread please do. Best of luck and let us know more and what you find out.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I would add to check the jailbreak apps you are using they could be using alot of data
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks for the reply. I realize that there are a lot of apps that could be using data. My question is whether or not my iPhone could be using data without reporting it in the usage section of iOS. My phone is reporting less data than my Carrier is saying I've used.
    Thanks again for any insight.

Global Posts
    6,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Cell Data: How plausible is it....

They should be reasonably close but jot the same due to timing etc.

I'd suggest using something like Dataman Pro app which gives you usage per app and per different time periods.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks for the suggestion Karenkcoulter. I actually am using DataMan Pro, as well as Onavo Extend and Onavo Count so I am very well informed when it comes to what my data usage is on my phone. My Carrier (Bell Mobility) is telling me that I am using a lot more data than what my phone (third-party apps or iOS itself) is reporting. Since Bell is suggesting that I can't trust any third party apps and should only go by what they tell me I've used, I was hoping that at the very least I could trust iOS to be truly reporting what my phone is using data-wise. Nobody can seem to tell me if iOS can be trusted. Maybe one of the iMore crew can give their thoughts.
    Thanks again.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

I'm not too sure I'd trust anything but what my carrier told me if I was on a plan with a set data limit. Even if my phone was showing X amount of data but my WSP was showing Y amount, I'd go with what my WSP said since they'd be the ones to assign overages if you were truly over your data limit.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version

as a blackberry user we have a data management app on the new 7.1 phones. it will give you usage for the day but in reality its just what was on your screen while it wasnt in sleep mode. i have streamed pandora for hours in a day but because it was streaming in the background the phone app didnt register it as usage.

as much as id like to say f the carriers in most cases you just have to trust them. they have proper metering devices to gauge whats going on.

the app may only show when the phone is on and lit up. if its on sleep but it is still retrieving emails and pulling them and syncing your email it may not be registering that.

so in short i wouldnt trust the app.