Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Purchased an iPhone 4s last night from AT&T. What do I do now to unlock for use on Tmobile?

There are a lot of knowledgable people on these forums and I am hoping someone can help me out. Last night at AT&T, I purchased an iPhone 4s as my FIL's "upgrade". He is quite content with his 3G and said I could have his upgrade for my dd. However, we are on T-Mobile. So now I need to get this phone unlocked. It isn't activated because we said it was a gift for FIL and he wouldn't get it until Christmas so they set it up as a future activation.

Do we need to activate it and then call AT&T back and have them switch back to his old phone? Can I just move forward without activating it?

I know I need to purchase an unlock from ebay but I am not sure what I need to do before that.

I appreciate any help and advice you can give me. If I can pull this off, dd will be so surprised and thrilled!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Purchased an iPhone 4s last night from AT&T. What do I do now to unlock for use on Tmobile?

Well you can search on ebay there are multiple unlocking services but here there is a guy that works in unlockstreak that's giving away AT&T unlocks for free, (you can search for it in the unlock and jailbreak area) but if you can't wait to see if you are the lucky winner you can also purchase it from him. Good luck!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Use unlockstreak. I won one of the free unlocks and it worked perfect. Awesome company.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Re: Purchased an iPhone 4s last night from AT&T. What do I do now to unlock for use on Tmobile?

Thanks for the recommendations. Do I need to activate the phone on AT&T? And if not, can I just call AT&T and tell them we aren't going to activate it?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well I'm not sure about what you should do next. Sorry >_< have you solved your issue? If so, please share so we can keep it in mind.
    Last edited by linsiris; 12-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.