Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

I have been using the iphone 3GS for the past few years. I have now acquired an iphone 4 (not new, second hand. It has been cleared of all personal data). I have backed up my 3GS on icloud, and have now migrated to the new Micro Sim for the new handset. I have turned on the iphone4 and I can make and receive calls, and I have established my wifi connection. But now I am trying to retrieve all my 3GS data from the cloud. I have no idea how to do this on iphone 4. I have gone to settings - icloud - storage & backup - manage storage - and in there it says BACKUPS and I can see "Emma's iphone 3.4GB" when I select that it then shows me that the latest backup was yesterday and the backup size was 3.4 GB but the only option on this page is a red button saying Delete Backup. PLease somebody help me - I'm going crazy! I'm panicking that I won't get my information back! Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    12,103 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

When you first set up the phone,you should have seen an option to set up as new, or restore from back-up, which then would have given you the option to restore from iCloud...

You can go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings - let that do its thing... then, when you get to the set-up assistant, use the option to restore from iCloud.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Em77 (12-05-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,297 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1.2

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

I won't make this long because kch gave you sound advice so this is only a reassurance that if you do as he says you will have ALL of your content back that you backed up.

Best of luck to you.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Thanked by:
    Em77 (12-05-2012)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you.. i'm just about to give it a go.. will let u know outcome! I too was expecting to see the prompt you mentioned about setting up as new or restoring from back up, but when I first turned the phone on, it never appeared. Hopefully it will after doing this Erase of all settings. Fingers crossed..... x
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by Em77 View Post
    Thank you.. i'm just about to give it a go.. will let u know outcome! I too was expecting to see the prompt you mentioned about setting up as new or restoring from back up, but when I first turned the phone on, it never appeared. Hopefully it will after doing this Erase of all settings. Fingers crossed..... x
    If what K said doesn't work, use iTunes to wipe it and restore from back up. You'll get your stuff back.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Thanked by:
    Em77 (12-05-2012)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Good news peeps... I'm all sorted! Thank you for the quick and helpful advice, REALLY appreciate it. I was going round in circles! Thanks for helping me in my hour of need!! Em x