Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

I have been using the iphone 3GS for the past few years. I have now acquired an iphone 4 (not new, second hand. It has been cleared of all personal data). I have backed up my 3GS on icloud, and have now migrated to the new Micro Sim for the new handset. I have turned on the iphone4 and I can make and receive calls, and I have established my wifi connection. But now I am trying to retrieve all my 3GS data from the cloud. I have no idea how to do this on iphone 4. I have gone to settings - icloud - storage & backup - manage storage - and in there it says BACKUPS and I can see "Emma's iphone 3.4GB" when I select that it then shows me that the latest backup was yesterday and the backup size was 3.4 GB but the only option on this page is a red button saying Delete Backup. PLease somebody help me - I'm going crazy! I'm panicking that I won't get my information back! Thanks in advance.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,657 Global Posts

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

When you first set up the phone,you should have seen an option to set up as new, or restore from back-up, which then would have given you the option to restore from iCloud...

You can go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings - let that do its thing... then, when you get to the set-up assistant, use the option to restore from iCloud.
    Em77 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!! problem with restore on iphone 4 and I NEED to use my phone!

I won't make this long because kch gave you sound advice so this is only a reassurance that if you do as he says you will have ALL of your content back that you backed up.

Best of luck to you.
    Em77 likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you.. i'm just about to give it a go.. will let u know outcome! I too was expecting to see the prompt you mentioned about setting up as new or restoring from back up, but when I first turned the phone on, it never appeared. Hopefully it will after doing this Erase of all settings. Fingers crossed..... x
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,654 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Em77 View Post
    Thank you.. i'm just about to give it a go.. will let u know outcome! I too was expecting to see the prompt you mentioned about setting up as new or restoring from back up, but when I first turned the phone on, it never appeared. Hopefully it will after doing this Erase of all settings. Fingers crossed..... x
    If what K said doesn't work, use iTunes to wipe it and restore from back up. You'll get your stuff back.
    Em77 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Good news peeps... I'm all sorted! Thank you for the quick and helpful advice, REALLY appreciate it. I was going round in circles! Thanks for helping me in my hour of need!! Em x