4S battery draining...can't stop it...help!!

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone 4S battery has been draining at an alarming rate, even when not in use. I've turned off all apps, updated the software and even restored it this morning. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Kevin

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4S battery has been draining at an alarming rate, even when not in use. I've turned off all apps, updated the software and even restored it this morning. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Kevin

Do you keep location services on? Do you keep WIFI on all the time? These 2 items can hunt for signals draining your battery when you are nowhere near any WIFI areas or location services that you don't need. Do you have any apps on your app switcher area that are running and have not gone into sleep mode after 10 mins?

Is this a new phone or older 4S and this just started? These are just some things to think about that you may not have. It is also crucial believe it or not to use your phone to keep the batteries electrons moving and also you should drain your battery once a week until the phone shuts off in order to keep your battery condioned.

Look at all these and see if anything jumps out and if any of these work by shutting them down. Also how to you use push if you do to check email? Do you have it set for every 15 mins. etc. as well as screen brightness. There is alot to think about.

Good luck. Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
See what happens if you put it in Airplane Mode. If it's still draining fast, then there's a good chance something's wrong with your battery.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is quite possible that your battery has prematurely run its course, especially when considering all the fixes you've tried. Take it to a nearby Apple Store and see if they'll replace the battery for you. Also, if you haven't had your iPhone long, see if they'll replace it for you. It's worth a try, at least.

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Switched to Airplane Mode and the battery didn't drain one bit. So it's not a battery issue. Turning off WiFi next to see if that was the issue.

Thanks!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Aslo another suggestion would be to remember the last few apps you've installed. something could have gone wonky and a delete/reinstall of the app may be needed as well. After doing that, if theres still a rapid drain, delete the app completely and see if it still occurs. narrowing it down to a possible app as the colprite could be a royal PITA tho.

another 2 suggestions if you havent already done them: reset all settings AND reset network settings.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
This happened to me several weeks ago.
I ended up have to restore as new.
That did the trick but what a PITA.
Good luck

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Aslo another suggestion would be to remember the last few apps you've installed. something could have gone wonky and a delete/reinstall of the app may be needed as well. After doing that, if theres still a rapid drain, delete the app completely and see if it still occurs. narrowing it down to a possible app as the colprite could be a royal PITA tho.

another 2 suggestions if you havent already done them: reset all settings AND reset network settings.

Reset all settings already resets network settings.

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
This is a real doozy! I've tried everything I can think of. Restored my phone. Turned off WiFi, Location Services and all my apps. Deleted my most recent installed app. Putting it in Airplane Mode helped, so I don't think it's my battery. I can't think of what else would be draining it. Time to go to the Apple store?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is a real doozy! I've tried everything I can think of. Restored my phone. Turned off WiFi, Location Services and all my apps. Deleted my most recent installed app. Putting it in Airplane Mode helped, so I don't think it's my battery. I can't think of what else would be draining it. Time to go to the Apple store?
When you restored your phone, did you restore as new not using your back up? If you've done that plus everything else already and haven't seen a change, then yes, I'd say time for a genius bar appt :)

kmb3333

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
No - I restored using my backup. If I restore as new, can I still sync all of the backup data (messages, photos, etc) I have in backup?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No - I restored using my backup. If I restore as new, can I still sync all of the backup data (messages, photos, etc) I have in backup?
Ok, the reason of restoring as new and not using your back up is to determine if your devices battery is still draining like crazy without apps etc. on it. The only thing I would say to put back on your device after setting it up as completely new is to have iCloud sync ONLY your contacts and calendar, reminders, notes. I would not put anything back on right away just so you can see how your device behaves with the minimal things on it. IF with just the minimum your still seeing that huge battery drain, then definately go to the genius bar. IF you don't see a drastic drain, then that means there is something within your complete back up that is the culprit, and you'd have to try and figure out whats causing it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If a trip to the Apple Store doesn't result in a replacement battery or a replacement iPhone 4S, you can always do it yourself. The replacement battery can be purchased HERE and instructions on how to perform the procedure can be found HERE.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Or take Pink's advice one step further. Wipe your iPhone and restore as new. Don't install ANYTHING on it and just use it for an hour or so as new and compare the battery usage from the fully restored iPhone to what you had. I had to do that a lot with my stupid BBs to find out why my battery was going from 100% to 30% in an hour.

joyfullmom2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to post my experience.................I too noticed the drop in battery when updated to the 6.0.1 and i read somewhere on here to check your Bluetooth setting............I did and noticed it was on.......had been on since the upgrade. Turned it off and now the battery is fine. Don't know if will help anyone else but this was my experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711