4S storage info

annapal

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Ive had this problem almost since I first bought the phone, it's my first apple product, and still can't figure out whats happening... My 16GB phone says I only have 586MB avail, my photos and camera are using 5.3GB and thats the biggest usage of my storage, I have LESS than 200 pictures and 15 videos all under 3 min.. and a total of 25 apps... I can't figure out what is taking up all my storage? Ive compared to other Iphones (4S) and they're nowhere near the storage used as I am... What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Bengalfan1

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I think once you activate your phone the actual memory you have available is about 13.6 GB since the operating system takes up some of that 16 GB too. If you have received the IOS 6 update notification and did not update to it then your phone has reserved about another 1.4 GB of space for that too. I do not think there is a way to clear cache out of apps unlike on Android where you can do that. So the more you use your apps the more memory they use up. Facebook is a huge memory user. If your apps are getting to big and using too much memory you might want to delete them from the phone and then reinstall them.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
What types of apps do you have installed? Some of the game apps can take upwards of a gig to install.

Also, if you look under general > usage you can click on an application and see its size and how many mb of data it is currently storing.

There could also be a problem with corrupt file syncing. When you sync with iTunes, you can check how much space "other" data is taking up. It this is unreasonably large, you may have corrupt syncing or bad data files going on, in which case a resync may fix the problem. A restore of the iPhone will definitely clear up the issue.