Anonymous steals iPhone UDIDs from FBI

samthelegoman1

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard that the hacktivist group Anonymous has secured 12 million Apple UDIDs and released 1 million after being taken from the FBI? My question is, what the hell is the FBI doing with 12 million Apple user id's?!?!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
http://www.innerfence.com/howto/find-iphone-unique-device-identifier-udid

What is the UDID?

Each iPhone or iPod Touch has a Unique Device Identifier (UDID), which is a sequence of 40 letters and numbers that is specific to your device. It?s like a serial number but much harder to guess. It will look something like this: 2b6f0cc904d137be2e1730235f5664094b831186.

Why do we need the UDID?

Your iPhone can only install programs that are approved by Apple. Applications in the App Store have been approved by Apple for general distribution, but beta customers get to try the app before it?s in the store. We register your UDID with Apple so they can approve our application especially for your iPhone.

samthelegoman1

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! And with the UDID, the FBI may be able to secure the inner workings and content of your phone such as conversations, addresses, and who knows what else!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Heh...the FBI has a whole lot more than UDID's for massive numbers of people. This is a tiny niblet of "uncovered" truth, but if the FBI wanted this covered up, it would be.

Welcome to the Patriot Act (AKA: Big Brother).

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
TimHewitt..

I doubt it happened like something out of Swordfish... The article states an "FBI staffer" had their laptop accessed. If it was some lowly data entry employee (not all employees of the FBI are Agents) at an open wifi at Starbucks before or after work, that's entirely possible, and relatively easy if the laptop was unlocked already by the owner. A small text file of 480 million bits (12 million x 40 character udid) where each character is 1 bit of info, is somewhere around 60 KB. A wifi connection can pull that down in half a second

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
TimHewitt..

I doubt it happened like something out of Swordfish... The article states an "FBI staffer" had their laptop accessed. If it was some lowly data entry employee (not all employees of the FBI are Agents) at an open wifi at Starbucks before or after work, that's entirely possible, and relatively easy if the laptop was unlocked already by the owner. A small text file of 480 million bits (12 million x 40 character udid) where each character is 1 bit of info, is somewhere around 60 KB. A wifi connection can pull that down in half a second

WiFi is disabled on government laptops whose users handle sensitive information.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The important question is - what difference does it make? They (whoever they is) can't do anything by having our UDID's unless they plan on adding us to their Apple developer account or adding us to their beta team.

This is even less of a big deal than the people who worry that Google will steal all their information. Your what? Your contacts and calendar? Please.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Government system integration with Apple products...I don't think this is as big an issue as people are making it out to be. I have this strong feeling what information was there was used as a sort of stress test...just my opinion though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2