4S plays game sounds thru ear speaker when muted!

Silvetti

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

I've been having this weird problem with my 4S.

If i restart my phone, then mute it and start let's say for example Angry Birds I will hear the Angry Birds music and sound fx thru the ear speaker.
This happens with all apps, when the phone is muted the sound goes thru ear speaker...

Even rebooting the phone doesn't fix this, what does it opening Music app playing some song (while the phone is muted) which will play the music thru the correct speaker and then all sounds will be actually muted and not play thru the ear speaker.

Anyone else having this issue ?!

I tried searching the web a bit but didn't find anything on this, just some weird no audio on calls problem which i don't have...

KenL

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
When you slide your mute button to the mute (showing red) position does your unit vibrate and show the no audio icon? If not, it could be that your switch is defective and a trip to the genius bar in order. Of course as a (very crude) work-around you could simply lower your volume to zero to turn sound off completely. btw - I have seen games that for some reason still play sounds even when the mute is engaged.

Silvetti

May 15, 2011
Visit site
WhenI flip the switch it vibrates and shows a little bell with a diagonal strike :D don't know how to xplain the symbol better :D

I will try with other apps next time but I know that Nike+ Running App and Angry Birds both did this...

Silvetti

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I explained myself correctly... Or you didn't read my post :)

This is not normal behavior when pone is muted it plays ringtones/app sounds/message sounds thru the ear speaker... Not the bottom one but the one you put your ear on :) I don't believe that this could be explained with your last post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I explained myself correctly... Or you didn't read my post :)

This is not normal behavior when pone is muted it plays ringtones/app sounds/message sounds thru the ear speaker... Not the bottom one but the one you put your ear on :) I don't believe that this could be explained with your last post...

I cannot be certain this is the same thing, but my previous phone was a Palm Pre, and they were NOTORIOUS for getting stuck in headset mode. That is, you'd pull your headset out of the jack, but the phone still thought the headset was plugged in. After numerous diagnostic steps (and a re-boot) you could get the speaker sounds to play through the earpiece, which is what you are describing. You could never get the audio back properly until you managed to get whatever was sticking the headphone jack switch to come loose (compressed air, cut q-tips, interdental brush, and often a trip to the Sprint Store).

I know that the headphone jacks on the Pre were total garbage, and the Iphone ones are excellent, but you could try taking your headset and plugging it in, pulling it out, repeat... Until you are sure there is no blockage in there.

Silvetti

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It might be related to that as this happens most often after getting to work... On my way to work I have the phone on a holding cup in the car with a jack connected to play music thru my old old radio cassette player :D

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Try going into the multitasking bar.
When I was in my Voice Memos, I noticed that there was an option to play through the earpiece or through the speaker with the AirPlay controls in the multitasking bar.

Last edited: