How the heck to you initiate a flyover in Apple Maps?

jonlbauer

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a 4S and am running Beta 3.

How the heck do you initiate a flyover? Whenever I search for a location in SF, it just drops a pin at the location. I can't seem to get flyover to actually flyover!

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Someone, please help me see the light.

- Jon

jonlbauer

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Oh, is it Beta 4? Yeah, I'm on it (the latest)

Also, am searching in San Francisco - a supported city for the flyover feature (the keynote showed it with the Transamerica Pyramid)

In the video of the keynote, the flyover feature was a moving view of a city from above. I can't get that to happen on my iPhone. The articles I've read say it should work on the iPhone, but maybe it's an iPad only feature?

- Jon

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Oh, is it Beta 4? Yeah, I'm on it (the latest)

Also, am searching in San Francisco - a supported city for the flyover feature (the keynote showed it with the Transamerica Pyramid)

In the video of the keynote, the flyover feature was a moving view of a city from above. I can't get that to happen on my iPhone. The articles I've read say it should work on the iPhone, but maybe it's an iPad only feature?

- Jon

All it is is the 3D mode in cities such as Chicago and New York. So put the map on downtown Chicago and turn on 3D and zoom in.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No - flyover is doing a flyover! It's a feature of the new Apple Maps! See how the maps are moving on their own?

- Jon

All it does is rotate around a point of interest. That's about it. Only will do it for certain places. Again I think the name flyover is a bit misleading.

And no reason to yell! ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
And to further explain "flyover" - Apple?s Flyover feature in the new iOS 6 Maps app gives users are really cool way to explore their favorite cities by looking at 3D renderings of major metropolitan areas. You can zoom in and out to view buildings in greater detail kind of like you?re really there. Right now there are a limited number of cities that Apple has created 3D renders of, but here?s a look at all the cities currently supporting Flyover in the new Maps app.

To get it to rotate around a building on its own I don't know. But it's pretty useless, in my opinion. And that is not called flyover. Just to be clear. That is just one little part of flyover.

jonlbauer

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, in the demo, he selected the Transamerica Pyramid and Maps seemed to go into 3d mode and circle around the Pyramid. I can't do it on my iPhone. Maybe it's an iPad only feature...

Oh well.

- Jon

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, in the demo, he selected the Transamerica Pyramid and Maps seemed to go into 3d mode and circle around the Pyramid. I can't do it on my iPhone. Maybe it's an iPad only feature...

Oh well.

- Jon

Possibly. Don't have my iPad with me to try.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2