Is iPhone 4S fully functional over Wi-Fi?

danielbigham

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a developer interested in having an iPhone 4S for the purposes of making apps and learning all the ins and outs of the iPhone 4S, but I already own a BlackBerry as my primary mobile device and have a data plan for that device, so I'm not wanting to have to pay another $30/mo just to have a development device.

What I'm wondering is whether the iPhone 4S is fully functional if only used over Wi-Fi. Obviously I won't be able to use it when I'm out and about, but that won't be required.

Thanks,
Daniel

PS And a bonus question: Does Siri now work from Canada fully, or is that still coming down the pipe?

dj2big

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Imo If your a developer you should have a fully working device to see how it will function in the real world not everyone is on wifi

Sent from my iPhone the power of the Jedi

Reactions: danielbigham

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe Siri's full compatibility with Canadians is coming with iOS 6 (if i remember correctly from the keynote about iOS 6 back in June).

And the data functionality of the phone is fully capable within WiFi (though obviously being isolated in WiFi spots only will certainly effect the range of the "Locations" feature of the phone).

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a developer interested in having an iPhone 4S for the purposes of making apps and learning all the ins and outs of the iPhone 4S, but I already own a BlackBerry as my primary mobile device and have a data plan for that device, so I'm not wanting to have to pay another $30/mo just to have a development device.

What I'm wondering is whether the iPhone 4S is fully functional if only used over Wi-Fi. Obviously I won't be able to use it when I'm out and about, but that won't be required.

Thanks,
Daniel

PS And a bonus question: Does Siri now work from Canada fully, or is that still coming down the pipe?

You'll need a working SIM in order to activate it though... I'm just saying this in the case you decide to buy in the aftermarket from someone who was locked, and/or intend to wipe a locked device clean before using it.

Another way you could go around this is to buy a SIM cutter (it's like two bucks on eBay) and cut your actual SIM so it can work on the iPhone. The SIM cutter will cut a micro SIM out of your SIM, but it will leave the cutout intact, so you'll be able to use it to snap the cut SIM back in and use it back on your Blackberry. Then you could really take the iPhone for a complete ride whenever you want. Of course, it'll need to be unlocked or locked to the same carrier than you.

And then, there's the solution to buy an iPod touch. That'll do the trick, for all intents and purposes, in regard of what you're asking...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods