Backing up 4s

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Found this forum and it looks good so I figure I'll try my question here. Remember, I'm a newbie, so please be gentle. I'm having major issues with backup. Way back when I tried using Icloud on the phone. I included notes because they are very important to me. So.... it backed up contacts, some email messages and no notes. I went online asking and was told it only backs up new notes. I have tons of notes. I can't make them all new. SO I tried to backup to Outlook via Itunes. With that, sometimes it works and sometimes (make that many times) it just doesn't. Now it's in the just doesn't stage.
SO, I find this site and somewhere (before I registered) I found some reference to Icloud backing up of notes and it said you can backup all your notes, old and new. So I registered to discuss this issue and can't find the thread I saw originally. In any event, I just went to Icloud (which is currently set to backup everything but notes) and some emails are there but not the rest. I thought it backs up when it charges at night and is on wifi. Notes forget about.
Now that I got all of that out of my system, here's what I need. I need to backup my 4s, most important are my contacts and notes. I prefer a cloud backup because it's easy. Also, then I won't have all my private info on my computer if I use the cloud. However, one, is the cloud backup protected from prying eyes, and two, how in the world do I get all this stuff backed up?
HHHEEELLLPPP!!!
Mike

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I skimmed through your post. Sorry, but I'll attempt to answer your questions before I walk out the door. If you select to have contacts and notes backed up to iCloud (I'm assuming you have an iCloud account) then turn them on in the iCloud section of the Settings menu. If you want to play it safe, I recommend you open a free Evernote account and then download the free Evernote app and then upload your notes to it. It is specifically designed for notes and can be accessed from any device connected to the Internet. If you want to check to be sure your contacts, calendar information, etcetera are indeed saved to iCloud, just go to www.icloud.com, enter your login credentials, select the appropriate icon and voila!

Last edited:

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
no go

First, please let me know when you get back in the door. Second, voila turned into oy vay! Nope. Ain't working. Last night I set the icloud backup to do everything including notes. I still don't have emails or notes. I'm not even sure my contacts are up to date. Any idea what I can do to get this to work? I'm going crazy with this already.
On the evernote topic. Three questions. First, does it easily convert ALL your notes to evernote notes? Second, how does it back it up? Third, is it encrpted for safety?
HELP PLEASE!
Mike

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First, please let me know when you get back in the door.
I'm back ;)
Second, voila turned into oy vay! Nope. Ain't working.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Last night I set the icloud backup to do everything including notes. I still don't have emails or notes.
Now let me be clear here. Backing up and syncing can sometimes be seen as the same thing. Notes and mail are stored onto iCloud and are synced to your other iOS and Apple devices that have this capability. You can login to www.icloud.com to see your iCloud email, your calendar entries & reminders (click the calendar icon) as well as your notes (click the mail icon and scroll to the bottom to see your notes). What is actually "backed up" are the following:
Photos & videos in the camera roll
Device settings including mail, contacts, calendar accounts
App data
Home screen layouts
Text messages & ringtones
I'm not even sure my contacts are up to date.
The contacts you have on your iPhone should match the contacts that are listed via the iCloud website. Click on the address book icon to confirm. Now the things that are backed up are photos & video in the camera roll, device settings, app data, home screen layouts, text messages and ringtones.
Any idea what I can do to get this to work? I'm going crazy with this already.
if you have an iCloud account and have enabled iCloud backup/sync then it should work for you
On the evernote topic. Three questions. First, does it easily convert ALL your notes to evernote notes?
Evernote stores your notes as they are. If the note is a .jpg, it will be saved as such and likewise for .pdf files, .doc files, .txt files and orhers
Second, how does it back it up?
You upload your notes to Evernote via the Evernote app, an Evernote browser plugin or directly via a computer browser.
Third, is it encrpted for safety?
HELP PLEASE!
Mike
to see the encryption Evernote uses, go HERE

Last edited:

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for being so patient. My phone is set to backup everything to the cloud including notes. My phone currently says it backed up last at 2:14 am. I go to icloud.com. The last email it shows is from 8/7. Wrong. The notes are not showing. Last time it showed it didn't have the notes anyway. I'm glad it's supposed to work, but it just doesn't. I would jump out the window but I'm on the first floor

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for being so patient.
You're welcome. ;)
My phone is set to backup everything to the cloud including notes.
Excellent!
My phone currently says it backed up last at 2:14 am.
Excellent!
I go to icloud.com. The last email it shows is from 8/7. Wrong.
Did you check all of the folders, especially the archive folder for your mail? When I peruse the contents of my iCloud email, it mirrors that of what is displayed via the iCloud website.
The notes are not showing. Last time it showed it didn't have the notes anyway.
For some reason, I can no longer see my notes via the iCloud website. Hmmm, I've got to do a little research on that.
I'm glad it's supposed to work, but it just doesn't.
iCloud works great for me. Keep in mind that a backup is not the same as a sync. In other words, just because data may not have been synced to your devices doesn't mean the data wasn't backed up to iCloud.;)
I would jump out the window but I'm on the first floor
(laughing)...Thank GOD for that. We'll get it working for you eventually, my friend. Just hang in there. :)

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Going on Apple's support you can see many people have these issues with iCloud. Not saying it ain't working, just saying it seems it's not as sure as that other method... Of course Apple themselves don't say it, but many of the ancients members of Apple community, although they like the feature, advise people in trouble that the only 100% safe way to backup everything, for now, remains with iTunes. I don't know myself, just saying... My friend lost half his pictures recently and I did some research for him. I thought it was so improbable that he necessarily had done something wrong. What was my surprise to discover similar, and WEIRDER events happened to people who obviously did it right... Most posters sounded very inexperienced, but others were using the feature without a problem for several months when it failed on them, and at large using iPhones since several years.

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So let's try this angle. I used to back up the iphone to my laptop (not sync) through Itunes as is mentioned. I backed up to Outlook. Most of the time I saw all my files including the notes. Lately it doesn't back up the notes that are recent. SO I gave up and started researching the icloud scenario. Which is making my hair fall out and I don't have that much to spare.
So.... I see mention of the best way to backup is thru Itunes. Outlook isn't mentioned. Can I back up through Itunes, not going to Outlook. Then where does it go? And is there any protection from prying eyes if I did back it up (Outlook has no protection). How would I do it and where do all my notes, emails, etc. go? Thanks for the help and encouragement. Don't worry, in any case my window has bars!
Mike

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess what? You can now view your backed up notes via the iCloud website. I just checked moments ago. Also, on the iCloud Status page, it shows that mail & notes were affected on the 20th, but when I checked the status page on the 20th, no such information was posted...lol...Go figure! Anyway, now that Apple has straightened things out on their end, the above direction I gave should work for you. As for as iTunes is concerned, it will back up the following:

Contacts* and Contact Favorites (regularly sync contacts to a computer or cloud service such as iCloud to back them up).
App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
Game Center account.
Home screen arrangement.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, you can transfer the keychain information to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts (mail messages are not backed up).
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token. (This is not the voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.
* Your contacts are part of the backup to preserve recent calls and favorites lists. Back up your contacts to a supported personal information manager (PIM), iCloud, or another cloud-based service to avoid any potential contact data loss.

Your iTunes backups are stored:
The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

Mac:
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows XP:
\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.
Windows Vista and Windows 7:
\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

The above information can be found here

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Guess what? You can now view your backed up notes via the iCloud website. I just checked moments ago. Also, on the iCloud Status page, it shows that mail & notes were affected on the 20th, but when I checked the status page on the 20th, no such information was posted...lol...Go figure! Anyway, now that Apple has straightened things out on their end, the above direction I gave should work for you. (clipped....)]

D, i have a question for you in regards to the 'notes' on the iCloud. Ok, so i have Win7, i did not install the plug in for icloud, i just decided to add it to my faves when i wanted it. Now, i just signed in to check to see if i could see my notes, but just the usual 4 icons were there, mail, contacts, calendar and iwork.

I'm guessing because i did NOT set up an .me or .icloud email acct, this is why my notes are NOT showing up....would this be correct? :)

btw, thanks for the full clarification of what gets backed up via itunes USB. I knew most of the items, but that was completely informative that you put in there;):)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, i have a question for you in regards to the 'notes' on the iCloud. Ok, so i have Win7, i did not install the plug in for icloud, i just decided to add it to my faves when i wanted it. Now, i just signed in to check to see if i could see my notes, but just the usual 4 icons were there, mail, contacts, calendar and iwork.

I'm guessing because i did NOT set up an .me or .icloud email acct, this is why my notes are NOT showing up....would this be correct? :)

btw, thanks for the full clarification of what gets backed up via itunes USB. I knew most of the items, but that was completely informative that you put in there;):)

When you login to www.iCloud.com, you will indeed see the Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Find My iPhone and iWork icons. To see your synced notes, click on the Mail icon. On the same side of the screen as your inbox, sent, archive folders, etcetera, you should also see the Notes folder. Click on the Notes folder to see all of your synced notes. ;) Anyway, you're welcome in regard to the iTunes backup information. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day, my friend. :D

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When you login to www.iCloud.com, you will indeed see the Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Find My iPhone and iWork icons. To see your synced notes, click on the Mail icon. On the same side of the screen as your inbox, sent, archive folders, etcetera, you should also see the Notes folder. Click on the Notes folder to see all of your synced notes. ;) Anyway, you're welcome in regard to the iTunes backup information. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day, my friend. :D

Ok D. Without realizing it I answered my own question in 2 parts lol. Here's why: first on my device in the iCloud menu I don't have mail sync turned on, it's OFF, and 2nd if I go to turn it on, it then prompts me to set up an iCloud (.me rather) email acct which I don't want to do. So because I don't have this type of email acct set up I therefore cannot access the mail icon on the iCloud website to view my notes ;)

I hope that made sense lol. Thank you for your help regarding this;):)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok D. Without realizing it I answered my own question in 2 parts lol. Here's why: first on my device in the iCloud menu I don't have mail sync turned on, it's OFF, and 2nd if I go to turn it on, it then prompts me to set up an iCloud (.me rather) email acct which I don't want to do. So because I don't have this type of email acct set up I therefore cannot access the mail icon on the iCloud website to view my notes ;)

I hope that made sense lol. Thank you for your help regarding this;):)

It made perfect sense, Pink, and thank you for the update. ;)

mleiser

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
No way

Did someone say the Icloud.com site started working properly? Like where? When? It's as bad as before. Last time I couldn't even see the Notes item in the Email folder. Now I see it again. It shows me one note and several emails. I've got tons. I basically give up. It's baloney that it works and I'm very frustrated. Definitely need a solution that actually works, and maybe even all the time!!! If anyone knows of such a asolution feel free to let me know.

adeel

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a related question. What would happen if I backed up my 4S now (locally and / or to iCloud), sold it and purchased the new iPhone and attempted to restore my 4S backup to the new iPhone which would be running iOS 6. Would there be any issues since my backup would have been done on iOS 5?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a related question. What would happen if I backed up my 4S now (locally and / or to iCloud), sold it and purchased the new iPhone and attempted to restore my 4S backup to the new iPhone which would be running iOS 6. Would there be any issues since my backup would have been done on iOS 5?

There should not be any problems.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did someone say the Icloud.com site started working properly? Like where? When? It's as bad as before. Last time I couldn't even see the Notes item in the Email folder. Now I see it again. It shows me one note and several emails. I've got tons. I basically give up. It's baloney that it works and I'm very frustrated. Definitely need a solution that actually works, and maybe even all the time!!! If anyone knows of such a asolution feel free to let me know.

iCloud works and has worked well for me since day one. Yes, it has had quirks here and there, but it still worked and continues to work. I've yet to lose any data but I also keep several backups both in the cloud and locally. I did the same when gmail was my "primary" account and they work in the same manner. If you have a google account with lots of contacts and calendar data, etcetera, that information will automatically sync to your device once you've configured it to use with google and it is the same with iCloud. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2