Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Heisenberg
  • 1 Post By Keldog
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default Stuck power button on 4S resulted in a pleasurable exchange at the Apple Store.

Had a stuck power button on my 4S that I bought in January. Made an appointment, went to the Genius
    Bar, showed them the problem, and didn't get any run around. The phone was exchanged instantly. I was
    in and out in 15 minutes without any crap.

This is the second good experience I've had at the Apple Store. First time was with my iPad 2 that had a
    hardware problem. People talk and hate on Apple, plenty. Say what you want, these guys stand behind
    their products and don't give you any sh*t whatsoever when it's an obvious hardware malfunction. No run
    around, no BS.

Thank you for standing behind what you make, Apple.
    Last edited by forever29; 08-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Apple has the best customer service. If there is something wrong with your phone and your within your warranty, they will take care of it.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes apple customer service is best. My girlfriends iPhone 4 got ran over and they swapped it out even when the phone was out of warranty.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

This really seems like a hit or miss, much like any retail establishment. I agree for the most part that the experience is pleasurable and that they take great care of the customer. Be warned though it's not 100%, I exchanged my wife's iPhone 4 recently and was left with a bad taste in my mouth. The home button had a problem where you would have to press it 3 to 6 times to get it to even register. After 2 trips to the Apple store, and trying everything they asked me to try before making the swap I was begrudgingly given and exchange. To top it off they didn't' even activate the phone in the store and handed it to me and told me I had to plug it into iTunes myself and activate it at home. So basically I carried an iPhone brick around in my pocket all day long until I was home on my computer. Needless to say this was not the A+ customer service I was used to receiving at Apple and has jaded my perception of the entire process completely.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Apple Genius Bar rocks. I once bought an iPhone 4 on ebay. It didn't work as advertised, so I brought it to a local Apple Store. Even though it was out of warranty, and had previous water damage (from a previous owner), they exchanged it for me and gave me a new one.

I now have an iPhone 4S of course, but these guys are tops in my book (especially since they don't get paid very well).
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Global Posts
    3,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by ernbrdn View Post
    This really seems like a hit or miss, much like any retail establishment. I agree for the most part that the experience is pleasurable and that they take great care of the customer. Be warned though it's not 100%, I exchanged my wife's iPhone 4 recently and was left with a bad taste in my mouth. The home button had a problem where you would have to press it 3 to 6 times to get it to even register. After 2 trips to the Apple store, and trying everything they asked me to try before making the swap I was begrudgingly given and exchange. To top it off they didn't' even activate the phone in the store and handed it to me and told me I had to plug it into iTunes myself and activate it at home. So basically I carried an iPhone brick around in my pocket all day long until I was home on my computer. Needless to say this was not the A+ customer service I was used to receiving at Apple and has jaded my perception of the entire process completely.
    I can understand that. There's an exception to everything. Not always 100%
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Apple has the best customer service. If there is something wrong with your phone and your within your warranty, they will take care of it.
    This played a big part in my decision to come back to Apple after using Samsung's Galaxy Nexus. My experience with Samsung was gawd awful compared to that which I have had in the past with Apple.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    This played a big part in my decision to come back to Apple after using Samsung's Galaxy Nexus. My experience with Samsung was gawd awful compared to that which I have had in the past with Apple.
    I like the idea if something goes bad on my phone, I can go get another same day. Plus, the one on one help for Genius Bar has been great. I used them a lot when I bought my first Mac last year.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by idrewpage View Post
    Apple Genius Bar rocks. I once bought an iPhone 4 on ebay. It didn't work as advertised, so I brought it to a local Apple Store. Even though it was out of warranty, and had previous water damage (from a previous owner), they exchanged it for me and gave me a new one.

I now have an iPhone 4S of course, but these guys are tops in my book (especially since they don't get paid very well).
    Hard to believe... But good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ernbrdn View Post
    That's frustrating, even more when you read stories like the one above. Of course we can't always expect 100% service at every Apple store, any day of the week, that's just human. But what you experienced is so unusual, so off the standards... Me who prefer to do these things by myself (opening the box, activate the phone, make the first settings), I usually have to run from the premises to avoid that part of the service...
    Are you John Wayne? Is this me?
    iMore Expert

even when not under warranty, Apple exchanged my old ip4 after 4 months of non warranty... try that with an Android..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    try that with an Android..
    Agreed, it just isn't going to happen.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I like the idea if something goes bad on my phone, I can go get another same day. Plus, the one on one help for Genius Bar has been great. I used them a lot when I bought my first Mac last year.
    Even when I just had to call Apple because I needed a quick question answered they were always polite and no question was an issue for them. When I called Samsung recently and HTC in the past with a device related issue, they acted hurried and the Samsung rep acted like I was just trying to get a new phone when I reported having GPS and purple screen issues, even though my Nexus was brand new...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

Good to know most people had a positive experience when dealing with Apple Store customer service.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Not really an iPhone issue but I once brought in a 8 GB 3rd Generation iPod nano that had an overly sensitive touch wheel, the darn thing would jump the volume at the slightest touch. The 'genius' I spoke to said he'll put the repair through as a battery replacement and I'd pay the $59 instead of the regular 100 bucks or so to fix my hardware problem. So yeah, that's a winner in my book.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My daughters iphone 4 had the same problem - the button was very hard to push and would stick. the notification screen would also freeze when sliding it down to check notifications. so i made an appt at the genius bar - drove an hour to the apple store - arrived 30min early and was seen right away.. he looked at her phone, tried the button, and then said "ill go get you a new phone" never even got to the freezing issue... .. he explained that in the past when trying to replace/fix the button it just became more of a headache so they just replace the whole phone. my daughter was thrilled, because she had dropped the phone and had a ding in the bottom corner.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

A+ customer service is one of the things that keeps Apple on top of the food chain.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I also went to my local Apple store with a problem, my new 4S wasn't receiving calls, the tech was very helpful, ran down the list of things to try, then promptly exchanged the phone when it still wouldn't work. Very polite and helpful, unlike Verizon customer service.
    jclif likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Default Stuck power button on 4S resulted in a pleasurable exchange at the Apple Store.

Any idea what a stuck 4S power button would cost if not under warranty (if anything)? Thanks!
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Global Posts
    3,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default Re: Stuck power button on 4S resulted in a pleasurable exchange at the Apple Store.

So almost 6 months later I had another pleasurable visit to the Genius Bar. This time
    with my iPhone 5. I noticed some severe battery drainage that started from four weeks
    ago. Once a week I was restoring as brand new (not restoring a backup) and the drain-
    age seemed to be getting worse. Explained the situation, guy inspected the phone,
    didn't really say anything about the nicks and stuff on the exterior. Ran a diagnostics
    check and didn't find anything wrong with the battery. He took my word for it and
    instantly exchanged my phone. I also think that when he looked at my battery usage
    and saw that I had taken the phone off the charger just about 4 hours prior to that,
    the battery was already at 51%.

I love Apple.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb