Wifi Sleeping and Best Twitter

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am a new owner of an iPhone 4S on VZW! I am coming over from Android so I am trying to learn the ropes on how to accimplosih tasks differently.

2 Questions:

1. I like to leave my wifi on and connected while at home and at work, which I successfully connect to. However I notice that whenever I pick my iphone back up to unlock it, it initially seems like it's connected to 3G, since I see the 3G symbol in the upper right. A few seconds later that icon turn to the wifi symbol. It appears as if when I put the phone down and the screen locks, wifi seems to be going to sleep? Is there some setting I need to toggle to prevent this from happening? I know there was a wifi sleep policy on android but I can not find any in iOS.

2. I used to use Plume as my twitter client on android, this allowed me to be signed in on both of my twitter accounts and see one list of all tweets which were color coded to signify which tweet is under which account. This was much easier then Echofon which requires me to have to view one account at a time then go back and toggle. Any suggestions on a better twitter client?

Mike

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
1) I think it is a battery saving technique, since youre not using the phone, why keep wifi on?

2) I have found that Tweetbot works best

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re #1 - no there is not a tweak, it's working as designed. Don't worry about it.

Re #2 - I'm not a power twitterer - the stock app works for what I need... I think Tweedeck might do what you want it to do.

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the info. Though I want it to stay on wifi, isn't wifi more efficient then 3G anyway? Plus my notifications don't seem to occur until I pick up the phone and unlock it.

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Also my fiances 3GS on ATT... when she connects to wifi, it stays on wifi until she either turns it off or we leave the apartment.

When she unlocks her screen it never displays the 3G symbol, always wifi (when she is connected). I feel like mine is losing connection in some way. It also seems like my notifications rarely transpire (over wifi) until I unlock the phone.

Mike

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The wifi is meant to do that, unless you are connected to power. The wifi doesn't shut off when you're charging your phone, but if it's on battery, it does go into sleep mode. There used to be a jailbreak tweak to change that; I don't know if it's still maintained.

I am also a tweetbot user, though I also own Tweetings. When I had multiple accounts they both worked well.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I did notice that while plugged in it maintains connection.

But if it puts wifi to sleep on battery, how can I ever receive a FaceTime call when wifi goes to sleep?

Thanks for the twitter recommendations.

reginald_1986

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Best twitter client for me (that I had tested) is Tweetbot. If you are willing to have a free version, I always stick to Official Twitter app.

Good luck!

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I think everyone else has already chimed in on the way wifi works. As for the twitter client, I'm not sure that there is one that will do what you are wanting as far as showing both account streams in one column. You will get notifications on one push per twitter app, but that may be it. I'll search around and see if I can find anything that will do that though.

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I did notice that while plugged in it maintains connection.

But if it puts wifi to sleep on battery, how can I ever receive a FaceTime call when wifi goes to sleep?

Thanks for the twitter recommendations.

There is a delay when you receive a Facetime call to allow the wifi connection

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I am a new owner of an iPhone 4S on VZW! I am coming over from Android so I am trying to learn the ropes on how to accimplosih tasks differently.

2 Questions:

1. I like to leave my wifi on and connected while at home and at work, which I successfully connect to. However I notice that whenever I pick my iphone back up to unlock it, it initially seems like it's connected to 3G, since I see the 3G symbol in the upper right. A few seconds later that icon turn to the wifi symbol. It appears as if when I put the phone down and the screen locks, wifi seems to be going to sleep? Is there some setting I need to toggle to prevent this from happening? I know there was a wifi sleep policy on android but I can not find any in iOS.

2. I used to use Plume as my twitter client on android, this allowed me to be signed in on both of my twitter accounts and see one list of all tweets which were color coded to signify which tweet is under which account. This was much easier then Echofon which requires me to have to view one account at a time then go back and toggle. Any suggestions on a better twitter client?

Mike

1) Wifi goes to sleep when the phone does, supposedly to save battery life. Facetime call with come through if the phone and wifi are both asleep.

2) Tweetbot.

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.

A few mentioned Tweetbot, but it doesn't seem like you can have multiple tweets across multiple accounts in one timeline (so you only need to view one timeline), is that true?

I saw Tweetdeck offers this but it doesn't look like it gets updated too much.

Mike

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

2 Questions:

Mike
For the Wi-Fi sleep policy, I notice that when I turn iTunes Wi-Fi sync, it changed the sleep policy. While there is no way to manual adjust it like Android, I noticed it will stay on and connected while never showing 3G even after 1 hour of no usage.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am on Android but switching to iPhone 5 when released.
i'm actually curious about #1. my thought was also similar, thinking that Wi-Fi uses less power than 3G/4G. From what I have read, it takes less power for your phone to connect to a wi-fi router that is 10-20 ft away than a tower that is much further. not to mention that when you are on 3G/4G, your phone will constantly look for other towers to handle the trade-off from one to another. This doesn't happen when Wi-Fi is on.

There have been cases where I go to someone's house with bad Verizon service. Switching to Wi-Fi saved me a lot of battery life on my Android.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Wifi stays connected if your phone is plugged in. If it's not, then it shuts off when your phone goes to sleep. If you notice, your phone backs up to iCloud via Wifi at night, but only if it's plugged in.

What annoys me like crazy though is that VPN disconnects when the phone goes to sleep, no matter what.