Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Verizon Tether or PDANet?

Now that I have moved our family plan to the new Verizon plan with data sharing (which removes the additional costs for tethering), I am wondering if the Verizon hotspot app on my 4S would be a better thing to use than PDANet. I have been using PDANet for about 9 months, and have noticed at times that it can be sluggish or unresponsive. Not sure if that is the fault of PDANet, or the quality of the network. But a little voice in my head is saying the VZW software might work better. Does anyone have experience with this and would like to share an opinion?

TIA.
    Chester
    iPhone 4S, iPad 2
    Follow me on Instagram (coskier) | Twitter (@coskier) | Pinterest
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

I would say if you don't have an unlimited data plan it doesn't matter, just tether through Verizon, if that works better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I would say if you don't have an unlimited data plan it doesn't matter, just tether through Verizon, if that works better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    That's the feedback I am searching for, if anyone has experience with it to know if it is better.
    Chester
    iPhone 4S, iPad 2
    Follow me on Instagram (coskier) | Twitter (@coskier) | Pinterest
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,086 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Verizon's tethering is much better than PDANet
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have Sprint and use PDANet to tether to my tablet, It works great for my needs and loads web pages, email, and facebook fast enough even on Sprints slow network. PDANet is easy to use and set up if you have never used it. You would have to jailbreak your phone if you haven't done so already, but the app is free to try.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've been using PDA Net forever, and it works great. I also switched to the new VZW plan, but I'd say the differences between the two are negligible. I've never had issues with PDAnet. I intend to stay jailbroken and use PDA net unless someone comes up with a serious advantage the wifi tether thru VZW has over it. Anyone do a speed test comparison yet? Maybe I'll try that...
    JB Iphone 5 32GB*Mac Mini 2011 10.9.1 OSX*Apple TV2
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

OK here we go:
    Both PDA NEt and VZW Tether are very close in performance. They both suck. However, when there is a wifi connection nearby and your iPhone is connected to it, the signal is boosted through PDANet. It doesn't do this through VZW tethering; the speed is the same. So, I guess the only advantage to this is if you are not willing to connect a device through a public or through an encrypted network, then PDANet offers the ability to do so at better connection speeds. I guess I'd use it in this instance: a friend comes over to my house, wants to use his iPad, I don't want him to have my WEP key, so I let him connect to my PDANet hotspot instead. But as you can see, the piggybacking offers a big boost.
    (First is VZW tethering, second is PDAnet, and third is PDANet with a network connection through a wifi signal in my home. VZW did no better in performance even with this added connection).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Tether or PDANet?-vzw.jpg   Verizon Tether or PDANet?-pda2.jpg   Verizon Tether or PDANet?-pda.jpg  
    Last edited by rich67; 08-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    JB Iphone 5 32GB*Mac Mini 2011 10.9.1 OSX*Apple TV2