Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Help with Calendar Invitation Alerts - Odd Situation

Hi everyone, I'll make it short and with facts of what I have done.

The Facts:

My wife has an iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and has her Gmail Email and Calendar setup as an exchange account in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
    I have an iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and also have my Gmail Email and Calendar setup as an exchange account in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
    We both use our Gmail email as the email account associated with our Apple ID.
    We both have Calendar Alerts fully activated on Notifications Center (same exact selections) and have also marked "New Invitation Alerts" as "On" in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
    We both have selected "Push" on the "Fetch New Data" Setting.
    We both have iCloud accounts but do not use the email nor the calendar functions of iCloud (we want to use Gmail).
    If we create our own events in our own Calendars and set a reminders (for example "at the time of the event", we both get the alerts/notifications normally.
    To summarize, I have gone item by item on both iPhones to make sure we have the same selections on every setting.

The problem:

If my wife creates an event on her phone and invites me (rememer gmail to gmail accounts with same configuations in both iPhones), I do not get any type of notification. The event will just show up on my iPhone Calendar greyed out until I accept it, but there is no type of notification (no popup notification and sound, no badge icon even though both are turned on in the settings of notification center an no pending invitations in the "Invitations" tab in the Calendar App).

However, If I create an event in my iPhone and invite my wife, she will instantly get a pop up notification, with the sound alert she chose and her Calendar will pop open once she presses the pop up and the "Invitations" tab of the Calendar app will show up for her to accept the event. Everything works fine with here iPhone! The problem seems to be related to my iPhone since if it was a Gmail problem, my wife would also be having the problem. Again, this problem is only when receiving invitations on my Calendar, because if I create my own event and set a reminder, it will function (alert) me as it should.

I don't know what else to do! Any ideas of how I can resolve this?
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,444 Global Posts

The ONLY way I seem to be able to get any events to show up on my husband's phone is to have MY gmail calendar on his phone AND on mine. He doesn't get an alert til the reminder hits, though.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

My experience from my iPhone to my wife's bionic, was that i set up an event, and it was emailed to her through gmail, where she could accept... once accepted it would be "active"
    When she sets up an event, do you get an email notification, or will the alert happen at the time frame specified by options? Ie will you get an alert an hour before the event?
    Also, is it possible she has her balancer set up to show all events for current month or week or a larger time frame than you have set up?
    Or more events?? Like I have 5 events shown, maybe you only have one event, or are a very important man an have ten events showing and her newly setup event is more than ten events away??
    Last edited by 3cit; 07-31-2012 at 12:39 PM.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

3cit,

No, i don't get a notification at all. If i look in my calender the I will see the event in my calender and it will be greyed out. I can click on the event and then choose to accept, decline or say maybe. I get no alert, or badge icon letting me know that something has come in.

But Vice Versa, my wife will get the alert to choose accept, decline, Maybe.
    iPhone Nanite

Default I found this searching Google help for exchange and my issue is resolved!

Had the same issue but with iPod touch.

I found this searching Google help for exchange and my issue is resolved!

- To enable 'New events', sign in to your Google Calendar using the web browser on your phone or computer. Go to Calendar Settings > Calendars > Click on the Notifications for the calendar you want to sync. Under Email check 'New events' (and any of the other Invitation settings you want enabled e.g. changed events, cancelled events, event responses), and click Save.

hope this helps you, it worked for me. AND I think these settings in my Google account got changed somehow because this all worked fine for me for a couple of years and just stopped this month, but now it works again! ahhh the little things.

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ok I am resurrecting this thread- I have used google calendar for years and never had the issue where it wasn't sending invites or I wasn't receiving them- Started yesterday- Invited my husband to a number of things and he never got it but it was greyed out in his calendar like Tyrant2k explained- I checked the notification settings and they are all checked to receive the email- I even tried unchecking-saving then rechecking and saving- still nothing. He is also having same issue... Any thoughts?

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    ok I am resurrecting this thread- I have used google calendar for years and never had the issue where it wasn't sending invites or I wasn't receiving them- Started yesterday- Invited my husband to a number of things and he never got it but it was greyed out in his calendar like Tyrant2k explained- I checked the notification settings and they are all checked to receive the email- I even tried unchecking-saving then rechecking and saving- still nothing. He is also having same issue... Any thoughts?
    Have you checked the Mail, Contacts, Calendar settings? See the attached screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Calendar Invitation Alerts - Odd Situation-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1347025919.971759.jpg  

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Have you checked the Mail, Contacts, Calendar settings? See the attached screenshot.
    I did now and It's checked Help with Calendar Invitation Alerts - Odd Situation-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347026435.077458.jpg

It's weird it's worked without issue for years.

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I did now and It's checked Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347026435.077458.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	18608

It's weird it's worked without issue for years.
    Oh dang. That is weird.

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh dang. That is weird.
    Really is. Not sure if it's on googles end. Frustrating tho.

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Really is. Not sure if it's on googles end. Frustrating tho.
    With Apple & Google arguably at odds with each other, it wouldn't surprise me if your issue is an inconvenient consequence.

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Siri is down and so is voice to text. Think it's all related? Seems weird that it would be but who knows. Created event from iMac and it sent the invite no problem.

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Both Siri and voice to text is working in my location, however, when I initially read your post, only Siri worked, but now, both of them work. By the way, someone else asked if Siri was down in a different thread so you're not the only person affected.

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am still having issues getting the invites sent with gmail. Anyone else having this issue?
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Help with Calendar Invitation Alerts - Odd Situation

im having this problem. Did you ever solve it?

Global Posts
    3,395 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by pdiphone View Post
    im having this problem. Did you ever solve it?
    Yes and no. The calendar app that comes with the iPhone will not send the invites. So I use calendars by readdle (I'm sure any other would work too) and it sends the invites no problem.
    iPhone Nanite

After hours of searching and right before I smashed my 4S over my knee I checked one last thing, the Fetch New Data option. If is turned off no push notifications will be delivered i.e. Calendar invites. So pop into the settings for mail, contacts, and calendars and make sure this is turned on. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

R
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

When I've messed with this, I only received the pop up calendar invitations when both my google calendar and google email was setup as an exchange account. From there I began to receive the pop up calendar notifications.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a question which I think fits into this topic. I recently switched from my google calendar to the iCloud calendar. When I receive invitations from a ail account they automatically go to my google calendar and I can't see them unless I turn my google calendar back on. I tried having them sent to my iCloud email address but that doesn't work either. Is there anyway to get invitations which originate on gmail accounts to go to my iCloud account? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Douglas Wilson
    Verizon iPhone 6 plus 64G and iPad 4G 32GB

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post
    I have a question which I think fits into this topic. I recently switched from my google calendar to the iCloud calendar. When I receive invitations from a ail account they automatically go to my google calendar and I can't see them unless I turn my google calendar back on. I tried having them sent to my iCloud email address but that doesn't work either. Is there anyway to get invitations which originate on gmail accounts to go to my iCloud account? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not certain, but you can try this: Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then scroll down and make sure that your "default account" is iCloud AND then scroll to the bottom and make sure that your iCloud calendar is your "default calendar".
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I'm not certain, but you can try this: Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then scroll down and make sure that your "default account" is iCloud AND then scroll to the bottom and make sure that your iCloud calendar is your "default calendar".
    I checked this as well as your first attachment and my calendar has never failed me when sending an invite to someone else and also in reference to Siri, Not one problem today at all.

D ?? Dang?? You have been away from Orlando too long my friend....
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I checked this as well as your first attachment and my calendar has never failed me when sending an invite to someone else and also in reference to Siri, Not one problem today at all.

D ?? Dang?? You have been away from Orlando too long my friend....
    Yeah, tell me about it......I have plans to be in Orlando sometime next month to visit family, friends and just to be in the City Beautiful.......I do miss it dearly.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Yeah, tell me about it......I have plans to be in Orlando sometime next month to visit family, friends and just to be in the City Beautiful.......I do miss it dearly.
    Hey check PM. OK
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    22,284 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    Hey check PM. OK
    Okay.
    iPhone Nanite

OK, could you help? I've read all the threads and I have similar issues with iphone 4's. Myself and my wife have google calendars which are both linked. If I create an event then it appears on her calendar straight away but if she creates one then she has to invite me and although I get the notification nothing appears on the calendar. Even then when I open up the invite on my phone the 3 options are there asking me to accept (maybe, yes, no) but I can't press any of them. None work! I can't work out what the difference between our phones is. All the settings are the same on the phones and on google itself. Any ideas? One thing the phones do have in common is that whenever an invite is received it just says that it's from "somebody" This has been bugging me for so long and no matter how many times I go back to it I can't figure it out.