Apple store vs. retail
A loyal blackberry user for 4 years I am finally making the move to Apple. My question is, is there any benefit to purchasing my new iPhone at an Apple store? My other options are either a Sprint store or Best Buy. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
- 07-27-2012, 05:16 PM #2
- 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM #3iPhone Nanite
- 1 Posts
My experience with purchasing my iPhone was through Best Buy great. Yes you have to pay the full tax on the unit; however, there are a few legitimate reasons to go through them rather than Apple and/or your carrier.
1. I signed up for buy back program which will allow me to get 20% of my origanal price of the phone to go towards the next phone I purchase at the end of my two year agreement. This is the original price not the discounted price I payed.
2. I also signed up for the $14.99 protection plan which seems steep but i was already paying $8 for the insurance through Sprint on my HTC Evo which included a deductible if the issue was my fault. With Best Buy's protection plan you get basically an unlimited amount of fixes which include water damage. Sprint does not offer a protection plan. Apple offers their Apple care which I believe covers 2-3 times of drops or water damage.
- 07-28-2012, 11:21 AM #4iPhone Genius
- 5,237 Posts
- iOS Version
My best experience ever was buying directly from the Apple store... second best is your wireless carrier... and the last place that I would buy a cell phone is a third-party retailer... They have the least skin in the game, and are hungry to make to biggest profit, usually through add-on third party contracts.
And paying extra sales taxes just to get some other benefit makes no sense whatsoever. iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM #5
- 07-28-2012, 02:45 PM #6
I loved the service that I received from my local Apple store back when I purchased my factory unlocked 4S from them, so I would definitely recommend it if you have a Apple store in your area.
Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
- 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM #7
- 07-30-2012, 10:05 PM #9
Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share my very negative experiences with them, IMO AppleCare is much much better.
- 07-31-2012, 01:13 AM #10iPhone Beginner
- 80 Posts
- iOS Version
I would highly recommend going through the Apple Store. You get the best service in all aspects from start to finish. Plus the AppleCare warranty you can't beat compared to getting the carriers warranty. Also they will help you with any problem with the phone and can always stop by the Genius Bar for questions or concerns.
- 07-31-2012, 04:56 PM #11"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
- 07-31-2012, 06:16 PM #12
- 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM #13
- 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM #14
My two cents... I prefer Best Buy myself. Unfortunately, the area I live in, the Apple store is almost always slammed. I actually stopped in there today (A Tuesday afternoon) and most of the reps were busy with customers. Don't get me wrong, I love going in there, but I prefer to purchase my Apple products from Best Buy.
I also like Best Buy's return policy with my Reward Zone Silver status. 45 day return policy... I also get points on my reward zone card. I figure I can buy Care later on.
- 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM #15
- 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM #16
- 08-01-2012, 02:18 PM #17
- 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM #18
- 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM #19
- 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM #20"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
- 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM #21
I wish I had an Apple store near me.....the closest one is about 280 miles. I would recommend an Apple store......I bought mine from a carrier and they totally discouraged me from buying Apple products."You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
- 08-02-2012, 07:38 AM #22
- 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM #23
- 08-02-2012, 02:14 PM #24iPhone Genius
iPhone 5 (Black.32GB.AT&T) iPad Mini (Black.32GB.WiFi) iPad (3Gen.Black.64GB.AT&T) MacBook Pro (15" 2012.Retina Display.i7) iMac (21.5" 2011.i5) AppleTV (3Gen)
- 5,237 Posts
- iOS Version
- 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM #25
The Apple Store is always better then the carriers or the Big Box stores. When I worked there I saw so many people come in saying the carrier stores had no idea what they were talking about and would just send the customer to the nearest Apple Store.