iPhone lockscreen's becoming boring?

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
+ 1 on the last two.

Never had anything before iPhone, no mp3, no i-pod, no old flip handset, nothing. Loved it at first touch. Handled many since (I work in electronics now), Android (Samsung SII, SIII, Nexus, HTC One, etc.), RIM, and I hate the feel of all of them. Like someone said to me, "more open, more features-a-plenty, but somehow with the feel of a beta tester device". Nothing remotely close to the polish of the iPhone. Yeah, the SIII is so great, the screen is so big, and it stays lit when it sees your face... Oooooooh... but did you see just how much a simple text window looks F****** UGLY on this phone?! Cluttered... Cluttered is the word. Yet they're not bad phones, Android, Samsung especially... A different look, for different users and tastes... but as they are now, each of the 1000 of them, none could single-handedly win the market like any iPhone does. Android gets market because there are plenty of them... Samsung gets market because they themselves release kind of a 100 different handsets per year... That's just the plain and painful truth.

Never was so interested in latest technology before my first iPhone (3GS), nor would I follow any thread about any of it, and I never really even bothered to play with those kind of things. Bought iPhone 4 three months after 3GS... Subscribed here and else... Following iPhone 5 news madly...

Bottom line : I LOVE the darn thing. And I jailbreak it... myself. You'd told me I'd do that two years ago and I would have laugh in your face. Not that it is that hard, but then again, I would never have known... Yet here I am.

Also, I don't like those "you should have bought something else" comments, for the same reasons. You simply can't always know everything about what you're buying. And even knowingly, one can choose to buy it no matter what, exactly for the same "love at first feel" I experienced. And then express the regret of not having some functionality, that would make it perfect for them. This is a forum about iPhone, is it?

I do not agree that they are as perfect as they can be when they are stock. On the other hand, I can't say that every jailbroken app, tweak, theme, utility, is working just as fine (many not at all) as Apple would make it... yet they made mistakes, Apple, too. Obviously, those who curse jailbreaking never used something like SBSettings, nor had the malicious pleasure to replace their carrier name with something like "Suckers" (or worse) to vent off some anger. And then have Bart Simpson skating as a carrier. It's just plain fun... and useful. Did you know, you the "stock Apple" lovers AND jailbreaking haters, that with a jailbroken iPhone you can use FaceTime over 3G, and download anything you want no matter the 20MB filesize restriction? That's just one of the stupid stock restriction that jailbreak makes up for. And, surprise, surprise, iOS 6 will finally allow FaceTime to work over 3G... Don't tell me they had the idea themselves. Please, do not think jailbreakers and developers are a bunch of pathetic teenagers who endanger your devices with pirating tools offering unfinished, clumsy functionnality. Get infos, and you'll see... Apple takes a lot of clues in jailbroken apps for their firmware updates. Even Android does, in order to beat Apple with the unsastisfied users a jailbreaking market suggest... SIII has something like SBSettings integrated to it, yet not as complete. But the truth, like someone said here, is that jailbreakers love their i-Device just as much as any other user.

As for my reply to the OP, I do agree that Apple is missing something, about letting the user personalize his device. A kind of "Live Animate Notification Center" on Lockscreen could be something great if made by Apple, just like many other ideas people often express in thread like this. I agree with the idea that a lockscreen is basically a LOCKscreen, and I do like it as simple as possible, with a little esthetic touch up, and not displaying infos I don't need. But then again, my taste is not for everyone, and Apple should aknowledge the user desires a little more than they do, and implement some way to personalize a great couple if things. Without drifting into beta tester Android devices. Still, that's not the Apple way, is it? I wouldn't count on it.

Meanwhile, you can simply jailbreak and change the one or two things you'd like to improve, and leave everything else untouched... But trust me, you'll go back for more and more!
Don't know why the last didn't registered as me being logged in... Well... I'm about to see if THIS is gonna be.

fftaz336

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
This is another area where Apple has fallen way behind, but don't complain, you're supposed to accept whatever Apple gives you, innovation is for Android/Windows etc..

You are right. That is why new computers and the new phones are copying the Mac and the iPhone. Because they don't innovate.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i think Laura is missing the point. not everyone wants to jailbreak, for many different reasons

Apple clearly is in no hurry to change it either so my advice to anyone that has a problem with it should just look elsewhere

No, she hasn't missed the point. She was simply pointing out that there are ways around it but if you don't want to JB, there's nothing you can do with it. Every OS from BB to Android to iOS gets old after a while.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused by this whole thread. Isn't the purpose of the lock screen to protect your data, email, messages, etc? If that is true (and it most definitely is true for me), why would you want to put all that "stuff" that you want/need to keep private on the lock screen anyway?

There are posts throughout this forum from people asking how to lock down photos, messages, etc for whatever personal reasons the OPs have... and yet, here we're told that the lock screen is boring because all it displays is a clock and a button for the camera.

As far as I am concerned, the lock screen is perfect. It's supposed to be boring so as to not broadcast stuff I choose not to broadcast.

Jailbreak it and put all your "stuff" on the lock screen for you and the world to see. Or install apps to never allow the lock screen to kick in. It doesn't matter to me. The current lock screen serves the function that is perfect for me - to lock my screen and hide my personal data.

To each, his/her own.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
+ 1 on the last two.

Never had anything before iPhone, no mp3, no i-pod, no old flip handset, nothing. Loved it at first touch. Handled many since (I work in electronics now), Android (Samsung SII, SIII, Nexus, HTC One, etc.), RIM, and I hate the feel of all of them. Like someone said to me, "more open, more features-a-plenty, but somehow with the feel of a beta tester device". Nothing remotely close to the polish of the iPhone. Yeah, the SIII is so great, the screen is so big, and it stays lit when it sees your face... Oooooooh... but did you see just how much a simple text window looks F****** UGLY on this phone?! Cluttered... Cluttered is the word. Yet they're not bad phones, Android, Samsung especially... A different look, for different users and tastes... but as they are now, each of the 1000 of them, none could single-handedly win the market like any iPhone does. Android gets market because there are plenty of them... Samsung gets market because they themselves release kind of a 100 different handsets per year... That's just the plain and painful truth.

Never was so interested in latest technology before my first iPhone (3GS), nor would I follow any thread about any of it, and I never really even bothered to play with those kind of things. Bought iPhone 4 three months after 3GS... Subscribed here and else... Following iPhone 5 news madly...

Bottom line : I LOVE the darn thing. And I jailbreak it... myself. You'd told me I'd do that two years ago and I would have laugh in your face. Not that it is that hard, but then again, I would never have known... Yet here I am.

Also, I don't like those "you should have bought something else" comments, for the same reasons. You simply can't always know everything about what you're buying. And even knowingly, one can choose to buy it no matter what, exactly for the same "love at first feel" I experienced. And then express the regret of not having some functionality, that would make it perfect for them. This is a forum about iPhone, is it?

I do not agree that they are as perfect as they can be when they are stock. On the other hand, I can't say that every jailbroken app, tweak, theme, utility, is working just as fine (many not at all) as Apple would make it... yet they made mistakes, Apple, too. Obviously, those who curse jailbreaking never used something like SBSettings, nor had the malicious pleasure to replace their carrier name with something like "Suckers" (or worse) to vent off some anger. And then have Bart Simpson skating as a carrier. It's just plain fun... and useful. Did you know, you the "stock Apple" lovers AND jailbreaking haters, that with a jailbroken iPhone you can use FaceTime over 3G, and download anything you want no matter the 20MB filesize restriction? That's just one of the stupid stock restriction that jailbreak makes up for. And, surprise, surprise, iOS 6 will finally allow FaceTime to work over 3G... Don't tell me they had the idea themselves. Please, do not think jailbreakers and developers are a bunch of pathetic teenagers who endanger your devices with pirating tools offering unfinished, clumsy functionnality. Get infos, and you'll see... Apple takes a lot of clues in jailbroken apps for their firmware updates. Even Android does, in order to beat Apple with the unsastisfied users a jailbreaking market suggest... SIII has something like SBSettings integrated to it, yet not as complete. But the truth, like someone said here, is that jailbreakers love their i-Device just as much as any other user.

As for my reply to the OP, I do agree that Apple is missing something, about letting the user personalize his device. A kind of "Live Animate Notification Center" on Lockscreen could be something great if made by Apple, just like many other ideas people often express in thread like this. I agree with the idea that a lockscreen is basically a LOCKscreen, and I do like it as simple as possible, with a little esthetic touch up, and not displaying infos I don't need. But then again, my taste is not for everyone, and Apple should aknowledge the user desires a little more than they do, and implement some way to personalize a great couple if things. Without drifting into beta tester Android devices. Still, that's not the Apple way, is it? I wouldn't count on it.

Meanwhile, you can simply jailbreak and change the one or two things you'd like to improve, and leave everything else untouched... But trust me, you'll go back for more and more!

these are some valid points and nothing that has not been mentioned before over & over in this forum. as of late i have been struggling with the fact that most jailbreak tweaks do not look or feel very iOS like. also it bothers me when there is the slightest imperfection, whether it be a stutter or anything visual. in fact when i encounter anything of the sorts i will remove the tweak/app in order to correct it. because of this my reasons for jailbreaking have been reduced drastically to only a few

in the end i do not want to have to depend on jailbreaking my device due to the FACT that it is so inconsistent with new firmware updates. seriously, waiting a month or two or three for an Untethered jailbreak is a little ridiculous. i like giving the latest and greatest firmware a go as soon as it comes out (or before :D) NOT wait..

just to be clear i am not against jailbreaking at all. i have been with the iPhone for almost 4 years now and probably have been collectively jailbroken for most of it. i go back & forth all of the time :)

ransonju

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused by this whole thread. Isn't the purpose of the lock screen to protect your data, email, messages, etc? If that is true (and it most definitely is true for me), why would you want to put all that "stuff" that you want/need to keep private on the lock screen anyway?

There are posts throughout this forum from people asking how to lock down photos, messages, etc for whatever personal reasons the OPs have... and yet, here we're told that the lock screen is boring because all it displays is a clock and a button for the camera.

As far as I am concerned, the lock screen is perfect. It's supposed to be boring so as to not broadcast stuff I choose not to broadcast.

Jailbreak it and put all your "stuff" on the lock screen for you and the world to see. Or install apps to never allow the lock screen to kick in. It doesn't matter to me. The current lock screen serves the function that is perfect for me - to lock my screen and hide my personal data.

To each, his/her own.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

[snip]

To each, his/her own.

Which is why I don't have personal stuff on my lock screen. I don't want someone hearing my phone beep and seeing an email, Tweet, Facebook status or text that was private. All of those notifications are turned off for a reason.

Now if someone wants to know the current weather at the Corn Patch on Hee Haw, they're in luck. :D

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
these are some valid points and nothing that has not been mentioned before over & over in this forum. as of late i have been struggling with the fact that most jailbreak tweaks do not look or feel very iOS like. also it bothers me when there is the slightest imperfection, whether it be a stutter or anything visual. in fact when i encounter anything of the sorts i will remove the tweak/app in order to correct it. because of this my reasons for jailbreaking have been reduced drastically to only a few

in the end i do not want to have to depend on jailbreaking my device due to the FACT that it is so inconsistent with new firmware updates. seriously, waiting a month or two or three for an Untethered jailbreak is a little ridiculous. i like giving the latest and greatest firmware a go as soon as it comes out (or before :D) NOT wait..

just to be clear i am not against jailbreaking at all. i have been with the iPhone for almost 4 years now and probably have been collectively jailbroken for most of it. i go back & forth all of the time :)

Yeah, of course it's been said a hundred times, and not just here... Made me feel better though, after the "jailbreakers should perhaps buy other devices if they don't like the one"... :) Obviously, as often as it has been said, it is still not understood.

Thanks for replying, I was worrying about being a tourist here! Feel less like a dork now...

Think you're quite right about inconsistencies in jailbreak... though there are some invaluable things too that makes up for it. It was easy to see your point and your stance by the way, you did not have to "make yourself clear" at all. My mind is made up quite like yours... When I'll buy the next iPhone, no matter how quick the 6.0 jailbreak is, I'm gonna wait and enjoy it stock for a while. I'll miss my folder enhancer and gridlock (my homescreen rocks IMHO), but I'll make do. Half of the retina themes right now don't even work on 5.1.1, so what if there's a new resolution out there? It'll take a year before Cydia replenishes. And I'll still have my iPhone 4 anyway, so I'll be able to follow things and play around a little.

Hey... if this post is again registered as Guest, and my personal info doesn't display, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, of course it's been said a hundred times, and not just here... Made me feel better though, after the "jailbreakers should perhaps buy other devices if they don't like the one"... :) Obviously, as often as it has been said, it is still not understood.

Thanks for replying, I was worrying about being a tourist here! Feel less like a dork now...

Think you're quite right about inconsistencies in jailbreak... though there are some invaluable things too that makes up for it. It was easy to see your point and your stance by the way, you did not have to "make yourself clear" at all. My mind is made up quite like yours... When I'll buy the next iPhone, no matter how quick the 6.0 jailbreak is, I'm gonna wait and enjoy it stock for a while. I'll miss my folder enhancer and gridlock (my homescreen rocks IMHO), but I'll make do. Half of the retina themes right now don't even work on 5.1.1, so what if there's a new resolution out there? It'll take a year before Cydia replenishes. And I'll still have my iPhone 4 anyway, so I'll be able to follow things and play around a little.

Hey... if this post is again registered as Guest, and my personal info doesn't display, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

yeah, jailbreaking has always been a slippery slope for me. when i first started i would tweak the living crap out of my phone to the point of being unrecognizable to a normal user but realized i was the only one to enjoy it since i would not let anyone hold it any longer than a minute lol

now, i am just more interested in making a great system even better (FullScreen for Safari, ScreenDimmer etc..) and gotta have my music tweaks (NowListening, Activator and Pandora Downloader)

as far as your iMore account i have no idea what is going on. just recently i have noticed the Guests accounts so that is new to me. and FYI Mods/Admin this place has been a mess on a mobile browser. there already is a thread regarding this: http://forums.imore.com/imore-lounge/237023-when-will-my-user-account-not-guest.html - hope you guys get it sorted soon!

Reactions: GPAbsinthe

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Boring? I don't feel so, it's not like it's supposed to serve any other purpose than do the stuff it already allows me to do.. Is it supposed to?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I wish is that notifications on the lock screen don't go away once I unlock the phone. If there
are still notifications that I haven't attended to when I lock it again, I'd like to have it still there.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

To each, his/her own.

I agree. I like the lockscreen the way it is.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
i don't get it.
Well... Moonwalk is obvious... MJ will never die!

Slide to Teleport - slide to TELEphone... just seems like some sci-fi inside... FWIK, in The Fly by
Cronenberg, Veronica has a sarcastic comment along those lines when she sees the telepods for the first time : "Oh great, designer's phone booth!"

Slide to Self Destruct - well I guess the guy feels like dying every time he has to turn is iPhone off... Can't never love Apple enough! :D

Original sliders in a classical way...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR