iPhone lockscreen's becoming boring?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I like the lock screen. But I like the iPhone the way it is and I don't jailbreak so I'm probably in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

+1, I'm with you on this one too heatherly - I like the way my 4S is stock, although sometimes it does seem like more people JB than how many people stay stock.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There are other smartphones that exhibit some of the features on the lockscreen that the OP is asking for. Maybe the OP should try one of those phones. I'm not sure why consumers buy a product and then complain about the product because of features it didn't have at the time of purchase. If you didn't like the phone's lockscreen at the time of purchase and you felt this strongly about it, why did you buy it?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: fridayxiii

vivekkumar

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
its not like that it is a symbol of iphone trade mark. the technical reason behind this is u can save battery to some extend ..if u r very interested jailbreak and use intelli screen ..definitely u will feel iphone standard lock is better than those

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
My only question is how long do people stare at the lockscreen or home screen? I look at my windows PC and the lock screen isn't much to write home about. It's locked. Fun times for sure. So i unlock it and get to the desktop. I see a few icons pinned and some random picture that's the background. Again, not much to write home about.

Things get interesting if i launch an app though..

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The whole idea of allowing apps and widgets on the lock screen is for quick access to the most important features of the phone. I love being able to directly access email, sms, camera and video right from the lock screen. With one swipe, I'm in. That's without rooting (or jailbreaking).

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My only question is how long do people stare at the lockscreen or home screen? I look at my windows PC and the lock screen isn't much to write home about. It's locked. Fun times for sure. So i unlock it and get to the desktop. I see a few icons pinned and some random picture that's the background. Again, not much to write home about.

exactly!..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Well, I don't just sit and stare at it....it's useful for controlling incoming information, for me. Say I have a notification that I have 3 emails. Instead of unlocking my phone (maybe w/a passcode), launching my mail app, selecting the various messages, and marking each as read or deleting them, something like Lockinfo lets me simply tap the message to mark it as read. Boom, one step.

Similar situation with SMS: instead of having a bunch of unread but unwanted messages waiting for me in my messages app, BiteSMS lets me mark them as read AND reply to them from the lockscreen, as the arrive. Want to check the weather? On the lockscreen. Reply to a Twitter mention? Lockscreen. So for me it's really about directing/controlling the flow of information more than replicating every function of a bunch of other apps. For instance, I use it to quickly reply to Twitter mentions, but if I want to reply to an email I'll still unlock and use the mail app. Regardless of how far they've come, our phones and our computers are still very different devices in terms of how we use them.

Reactions: redbeard

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
About the only thing I would like to see in addition to the time on my lockscreen is the weather. It doesn't even have to be a rain/snow/fog graphic, just two or three digits that show the temperature would be enough for me.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
About the only thing I would like to see in addition to the time on my lockscreen is the weather. It doesn't even have to be a rain/snow/fog graphic, just two or three digits that show the temperature would be enough for me.

There are plenty of apps for that if you jailbreak. I have weather on my lockscreen. Some animated, some not.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of apps for that if you jailbreak. I have weather on my lockscreen. Some animated, some not.

Yeah. I know. I was talking about in the stock form. Jailbroken is a different story, but in the stock form, a weather app and I would be set. Except for the fact that the batter would probably drain quicker because it'd probably update every time the screen turned on to get the most up-to-date temperature and that would suck.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i think Laura is missing the point. not everyone wants to jailbreak, for many different reasons

Apple clearly is in no hurry to change it either so my advice to anyone that has a problem with it should just look elsewhere

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The lockscreen really isn't meant to be looked at if you really want to know. That's why the time is so big. usually people just check it for the time and to see if they have notifications. That's it. Now could apple do some cleaning up and get rid of the gloss? Of course. But I don't see anything too drastic in the future for the lockscreen.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree but then again that is the main reason I ended up jailbreaking it but there is still not a lot you can do with it.

martymapson

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Like it or leave it.

I like my iPhone for what it is. I figure if you are bored with it then go buy something else. I feel if you have to jailbreak your iPhone then you evidently are not happy with the iphone, so you may as well go buy an android based phone. An iPhone is beautiful and simple to use. You don't have to worry if your phone will get the latest iOS updates, it just happens without fuss. No spam ware and no carrier crap slowing your phone down. There's an app in the store that will fill almost any need. Everything just works!

Daspoo

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the many reasons I jailbreak all my iOS devices.

Absolutely. There's no reason why the lockscreen can't be both a means for locking the device, and for summarizing notification info locked within the phone. Jailbreak apps like LockInfo (which I use) and Intelliscreen X are perfect examples.

Daspoo

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I like my iPhone for what it is. I figure if you are bored with it then go buy something else. I feel if you have to jailbreak your iPhone then you evidently are not happy with the iphone, so you may as well go buy an android based phone. An iPhone is beautiful and simple to use. You don't have to worry if your phone will get the latest iOS updates, it just happens without fuss. No spam ware and no carrier crap slowing your phone down. There's an app in the store that will fill almost any need. Everything just works!

Why does it have to be all or nothing? I jailbreak because I want a little more functionality than the stock OS provides; but I still enjoy the OS for what it is, outside of the extras I install, and I very much enjoy the iPhone device itself. Jailbreaking shouldn't always imply that a person is against Apple's design, and therefore an enemy of the state (i.e., Apple), which is how comments like the above come across IMO.

Reactions: redbeard

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Exactly!! It's not like we think iPhones stink?most jailbreakers would say that iPhones are already the best device out there...we just make them even better!

Reactions: GingerSnapsBack

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
+ 1 on the last two.

Never had anything before iPhone, no mp3, no i-pod, no old flip handset, nothing. Loved it at first touch. Handled many since (I work in electronics now), Android (Samsung SII, SIII, Nexus, HTC One, etc.), RIM, and I hate the feel of all of them. Like someone said to me, "more open, more features-a-plenty, but somehow with the feel of a beta tester device". Nothing remotely close to the polish of the iPhone. Yeah, the SIII is so great, the screen is so big, and it stays lit when it sees your face... Oooooooh... but did you see just how much a simple text window looks F****** UGLY on this phone?! Cluttered... Cluttered is the word. Yet they're not bad phones, Android, Samsung especially... A different look, for different users and tastes... but as they are now, each of the 1000 of them, none could single-handedly win the market like any iPhone does. Android gets market because there are plenty of them... Samsung gets market because they themselves release kind of a 100 different handsets per year... That's just the plain and painful truth.

Never was so interested in latest technology before my first iPhone (3GS), nor would I follow any thread about any of it, and I never really even bothered to play with those kind of things. Bought iPhone 4 three months after 3GS... Subscribed here and else... Following iPhone 5 news madly...

Bottom line : I LOVE the darn thing. And I jailbreak it... myself. You'd told me I'd do that two years ago and I would have laugh in your face. Not that it is that hard, but then again, I would never have known... Yet here I am.

Also, I don't like those "you should have bought something else" comments, for the same reasons. You simply can't always know everything about what you're buying. And even knowingly, one can choose to buy it no matter what, exactly for the same "love at first feel" I experienced. And then express the regret of not having some functionality, that would make it perfect for them. This is a forum about iPhone, is it?

I do not agree that they are as perfect as they can be when they are stock. On the other hand, I can't say that every jailbroken app, tweak, theme, utility, is working just as fine (many not at all) as Apple would make it... yet they made mistakes, Apple, too. Obviously, those who curse jailbreaking never used something like SBSettings, nor had the malicious pleasure to replace their carrier name with something like "Suckers" (or worse) to vent off some anger. And then have Bart Simpson skating as a carrier. It's just plain fun... and useful. Did you know, you the "stock Apple" lovers AND jailbreaking haters, that with a jailbroken iPhone you can use FaceTime over 3G, and download anything you want no matter the 20MB filesize restriction? That's just one of the stupid stock restriction that jailbreak makes up for. And, surprise, surprise, iOS 6 will finally allow FaceTime to work over 3G... Don't tell me they had the idea themselves. Please, do not think jailbreakers and developers are a bunch of pathetic teenagers who endanger your devices with pirating tools offering unfinished, clumsy functionnality. Get infos, and you'll see... Apple takes a lot of clues in jailbroken apps for their firmware updates. Even Android does, in order to beat Apple with the unsastisfied users a jailbreaking market suggest... SIII has something like SBSettings integrated to it, yet not as complete. But the truth, like someone said here, is that jailbreakers love their i-Device just as much as any other user.

As for my reply to the OP, I do agree that Apple is missing something, about letting the user personalize his device. A kind of "Live Animate Notification Center" on Lockscreen could be something great if made by Apple, just like many other ideas people often express in thread like this. I agree with the idea that a lockscreen is basically a LOCKscreen, and I do like it as simple as possible, with a little esthetic touch up, and not displaying infos I don't need. But then again, my taste is not for everyone, and Apple should aknowledge the user desires a little more than they do, and implement some way to personalize a great couple if things. Without drifting into beta tester Android devices. Still, that's not the Apple way, is it? I wouldn't count on it.

Meanwhile, you can simply jailbreak and change the one or two things you'd like to improve, and leave everything else untouched... But trust me, you'll go back for more and more!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2