Phone broke now I lost everything...help?

melissasraja

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok long story short my 1 month old Verizon iPhone 4S broke yesterday. The ear speaker suddenly quit working. Apple support helped me back up the phone into the iCloud so we thought so we could factory reset the phone. That didnt work so I had to get a replacement phone last night. When we restored it from the cloud I got nothing back. The reason seems to be that we have two phones sharing the same cloud and the second phone backed up after my phone and erased my info. Is there any way to get it all back? It has TONS of pics that we also thought were backed up into the comp but cant find. Can I log in via comp to iCloud somehow and pick an older backup to restore? Thanks.

Melissa

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because you're sharing the same iCloud account doesn't mean the backups should over-write each other. At least I don't think they should. For instance, my iPhone 4S and my iPad 2 share the same apple ID and iCloud account and yet, my backups are not the same and does not interfere with one another. I suggest you try again. Also, your backup via iTunes should be still on your computer unless you've accidentally erased it. Try connecting to iTunes via USB and select the restore option and see what happens.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok long story short my 1 month old Verizon iPhone 4S broke yesterday. The ear speaker suddenly quit working. Apple support helped me back up the phone into the iCloud so we thought so we could factory reset the phone. That didnt work so I had to get a replacement phone last night. When we restored it from the cloud I got nothing back. The reason seems to be that we have two phones sharing the same cloud and the second phone backed up after my phone and erased my info. Is there any way to get it all back? It has TONS of pics that we also thought were backed up into the comp but cant find. Can I log in via comp to iCloud somehow and pick an older backup to restore? Thanks.

Melissa

I assume both the phones sharing the iCloud account are named "iPhone "

Once your was replaced it gone

You can check under setting then iCloud and manage but if there is only one backup then that's all there is
if you change the name of your phones they will make separate backups

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

melissasraja

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple thinks what happened is after they had me factory wipe the phone the cloud backed up over my original stuff. I did find the pics in my comp so not all was lost. How do I change the name of the device so both wont back up to the same spot? In iTunes?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
just another reason to backup using iTunes.. then you can have a physical copy of your backup files...

#justsayin...

at least that is my preferred option. YMMV...:D

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Melissa, have you EVER used iTunes to backup your iPhone? There may be some old file saved on your computer. Granted, it might not be recent, but something is better than nothing, right?

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
This is why iCloud scares me. I've heard horror stories. I'll stick to using iTunes physical back-up. :)

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is why iCloud scares me. I've heard horror stories. I'll stick to using iTunes physical back-up. :)

i had a bad experience with iCloud back in Nov when i first installed 5.0.1 & then needed to do a restore as new - my iCloud back up that i did literally 15 mins prior to the restore never loaded back up, BUT thankfully my contacts & calendar did. For quite some time i didn't use iCloud and turned it off except for the contacts & calendar, but within the past month i turned it back on, although i still do a 'hard back up' via usb with iTunes on a weekly basis just to be safe:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Believe when i say that iCloud is safe. It is not foolproof, but neither are any other cloud backup service. I recommend that you do both an iCloud backup and an iTunes backup. The iCloud restore function will be a Blessing to you if your device ever crashes and you end up having to restore. Anyway, take care and have a great day.

Just Me, D
(iPad)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In the BB world we have a similar product called BB Protect which lets you do a server based backup to a cloud, but I ALWAYS consider that as a secondary backup to the backups I make on a regular basis with Desktop Manager (our version of iTunes). My point is to always backup with your computer and in this case iTunes. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods