iPhone 4S not connecting to towers

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Im updated to 5.1.1 and not j/b noticed that my phone will show it has bars and not connect to towers for data. I have to cut off cellular then turn it back on and it will get data anyone else have this problem and a fix? Or do I have to make a genius trip. 4S 64g 20g free

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would try *228 option 1 then if that don't work restore if that don't work then go to apple tell them what you have try since that's what they will do they will prob replace it
After you restore test it out before loading your backup file for your info that will rule out a corrupt database file in you current software if that is the case restoring your backup would bring the issue back

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I had this issue too. After enabling baseband logging (as recommended by apple engineering) and them looking at the logs, there seems to be two DNS servers 17.26.38.1 and 17.26.38.2 (For me in Houston these are the addresses). mDNSResponder tries the first server, sends two queries and switches to the second server and now the first response comes back after 13 seconds. These can be seen in packets if you filter "udp.port == 55112" in wireshark. By the time the response came back, the iphone switched to the second DNS server and doesn't accept the first response anymore.

Same behavior can be seen with (udp.port == 59101).

There are two problems here:

1) DNS servers are taking too long to respond (13 seconds!)
2) mDNSResponder not accepting responses when that happens.

For the record, this doesn't happen in beta 1 of iOS 6. It should be fixed in a future iOS 5 release. You can still take it the genius bar and see what they say. It won't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: iVenom

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I would try *228 option 1 then if that don't work restore if that don't work then go to apple tell them what you have try since that's what they will do they will prob replace it
After you restore test it out before loading your backup file for your info that will rule out a corrupt database file in you current software if that is the case restoring your backup would bring the issue back

That doesn't apply to AT&T. That's a CDMA thing.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up I'll do a restore maybe but it's not that big an issue cause it seems to only be at certain towers but i may just wait for ios6

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up I'll do a restore maybe but it's not that big an issue cause it seems to only be at certain towers but i may just wait for ios6

You might want to look into loading the beta if it's that big a issue .. But of course remember it's beta

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2