Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eprisencc
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Backup Questions for iPhone

    Hi all...

    Is it possible for me to just back up my Messages, Mail and Contacts on my iPhone? I've been wanting to do a "Restore" on my phone and start over. I definitely need my contacts and messages (isn't really necessary because I can download them from server).

    Thanks!!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  2. #2  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    Hi all...

    Is it possible for me to just back up my Messages, Mail and Contacts on my iPhone? I've been wanting to do a "Restore" on my phone and start over. I definitely need my contacts and messages (isn't really necessary because I can download them from server).

    Thanks!!
    If you have iCloud on, your contacts will sync right back when you set back up your phone as long you have "Contacts" ON in iCloud settings. Easy as that. Messages on the other hand, is part of your regular backup. No other way around that.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Thanks, Garz! You're pretty iPhone savvy. Is there any real benefit of a "restore like new" option?

    Since Verizon is offering shared data, we may be doing a phone shuffle later in the year (my Dad's been wanting an iPhone and I may give him my 4S to try - I'll get the "new" iPhone). If that happens, I might just forget my Messages and add my contacts via iCloud on the new device.

    PS - What do you think of iOS 6?
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  4. #4  
    eprisencc's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

    Default

    This is the one glaring issue with icloud back ups, its all or nothing. It would nice if Apple started allowing selective restores where you can select your options. Sometimes we just want to do restore like new but still get apps back with their folder order. It would be nice if we had some options like this.
    BLiNK likes this.
  5. #5  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
    This is the one glaring issue with icloud back ups, its all or nothing. It would nice if Apple started allowing selective restores where you can select your options. Sometimes we just want to do restore like new but still get apps back with their folder order. It would be nice if we had some options like this.
    exactly! ..
  6. #6  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
    This is the one glaring issue with icloud back ups, its all or nothing. It would nice if Apple started allowing selective restores where you can select your options. Sometimes we just want to do restore like new but still get apps back with their folder order. It would be nice if we had some options like this.
    Agreed that would be great... I ran onto an app for my Mac (iRip2) which extracts the different pieces... but it really is something that Apple should be giving us.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    What is the real benefit of doing a like new restore?

    I've thought about doing it a few times, but would I lose in app purchases, etc?
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  8. #8  
    meskin84's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eprisencc View Post
    This is the one glaring issue with icloud back ups, its all or nothing. It would nice if Apple started allowing selective restores where you can select your options. Sometimes we just want to do restore like new but still get apps back with their folder order. It would be nice if we had some options like this.
    I have a question, I actually restored my iPhone a few weeks ago and it restored all my settings, it was nice. Even app and folder placement. Well, yesterday I did it again and it saved all my settings, but none of the placement was correct.

    Any idea why this happened?
  9. #9  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    267 Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meskin84 View Post
    I have a question, I actually restored my iPhone a few weeks ago and it restored all my settings, it was nice. Even app and folder placement. Well, yesterday I did it again and it saved all my settings, but none of the placement was correct.

    Any idea why this happened?
    It looks like you used Restore the first time, but not the second time... second time looks more like just syncing to me.
    Last edited by GPAbsinthe; 08-17-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Are you John Wayne? Is this me?
  10. #10  
    GPAbsinthe's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    267 Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    What is the real benefit of doing a like new restore?

    I've thought about doing it a few times, but would I lose in app purchases, etc?
    No real benefit - not if you weren't experiencing problems to begin with - unless you're about to jailbreak or to do your firmware update. And even then, it might be more of a preference thing. I always do both those things on a "clean" iPhone, but it also works allright on a full device. It's way longer though... hence why I do it from a clean state.

    Anything you bought with Apple you won't loose unless Apple stopped signing it. Another way to say this is if it's still on App Store, it's still yours. All you have to do when you setup your iPhone as new is to enter your actual Apple ID for the device. After which, you'll be able to : - force "transfer of your purchases" on iTunes on your PC, or; - reinstall them directly on the device by going into the App Store app in "Updates" and choosing "Purchased" where you will find (most of) the apps you purchased. I guess it works the same with your music on iTunes, but I never tried it, I buy and manage my music directly from my PC. In any case, you should do a complete backup on your PC before resetting your iPhone to new... if something goes wrong or missing, you can always get your things back.
    Are you John Wayne? Is this me?
  11. #11  
    meskin84's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GPAbsinthe View Post
    It looks like you used Restore the first time, but not the second time... second time looks more like just syncing to me.
    Thanks, I cannot really remember what I did the first time. I am pretty sure I hit RESTORE. Well, the most recent time around, I RESEST PHONE from Settings and when it came on, I signed on the phone and selected "Restore from Backup". Process seemed the same as the first time around.

Posting Permissions